2017~2024 Wind noise vibration on new 2019 GT

I've had my GT for about 3 weeks now and love everything about it - except when I open one or both back windows for the pup. Once I hit 40mph a vibration starts and it literally sounds like a helicopter is landing on my roof! It is the craziest thing and gives me an instant headache. My daughter sat in the backseat to try and troubleshoot it today and she thinks it might be coming from the back doors. When the windows are closed, the car is so quiet and smooth. Any ideas?

I have that issue with my 2007 Prius at about 45-50mph with the two front windows partially open. Our ears start thumping. Uncomfortable, but an easy fix by closing the offending window.

I think every car I have had does this. You just need to experiment with partially opening different windows until the thumping goes away.

I think every car I have had does this. You just need to experiment with partially opening different windows until the thumping goes away.
JT is correct. Try slightly opening your window and adjust from there and it should stop the annoying vibration/ noise. Happens with both our CX5 and F150.

Ugh, that's not the answer I wanted, lol. I've been driving my Subaru Outback for the last 15 years without any wind noise. Maddening!

Crack your front window open...it’ll fix it. This happens on most newer “aerodynamic” cars it seems. No issue on my older bmw or either of the trucks, but the ctsv and cx5 have the same issue

My Chevy Colorado truck does the same thing. The air pressure differentiation can be disturbing.

Last edited:
Exactly. They all do it.
There is nothing weird or unique or different about a cx5.
Im sure you can find this issue on Hyundai Honda Toyota or any other similar crossover or sedan.
I think there might even be a mention in the owners manual..
Older vehicles with flip out "wings" at the front maybe not so much.

I have had this on my "19" GTR with the windows closed though, when I first heard it really had me puzzled (it was loud enough that the radio couldn't be heard), I had a cross wind of maybe 50 to 60 mph winds at the time along Northern Colorado. I did crack the different windows to try to isolate it but never could, when I cracked the windows the noise from the crosswind though deminished was still loud. I thought I had a bad door or window seal but everything looked ok. I don't get those winds very often so I got over it, but the Toyota RAV I had prior for 12 years never experienced this (although it was never as quite as the GTR normally is either).

Thank you for the responses! Now that I have a name for this annoying phenomenon (wind throb or Helmholtz Resonance) I understand it! Google either for some very interesting articles on the subject. That's what I get for keeping my very un-aerodynamic Subaru for 15 years 😂

Back