Will's 1991 Classic Red NA6 Thread

jri4

James AKA Chipmunk
Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed3
Pavement looks rough? Although I wouldn't know b/c I've never autocrossed before :(

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Classic Red 1991 Miata, Magnetic Gray Metallic 2014 Tacoma
Probably the most terrible parking lot ever. They had to design the course to avoid holes/loose gravel and ended up even moving an entire section for the afternoon. This particular club couldn't get in their normal lot at this location because part of it was sold.

Last edited:

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
My fastest lap from this weekend at Mid-Ohio, Saturday morning:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6s2CDzX1_1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1:56.53.

The catalytic converter went bad during the 3rd session Sunday afternoon, now the car doesn't want to rev past 5k rpm without extreme effort.

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Thanks! I also put Carbotech XP10s on the front of the car on Saturday and they are awesome. Once they're heated up they stop the car in a hurry!

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Placed an order with Jason at Enthuza Car for a new NA racer exhaust and high flow catalytic converter. Jason thinks he can have it in the mail for me next week and with a bit of luck I can get everything installed in time to autocross the 15th!

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Removed the OE cat-back exhaust and catalytic converter.

Battery finally bit the dust after not being used for the last 1-2 months so I replaced it with a 6.3lb MagnaPower ETX9 battery from Advance Auto Parts: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tions-MagnaPower_16940009-P_40_A|GRP60054____

And the Miata also got new Rain-X Weatherbeater wiper blades.

Hopefully Jason will get me that new exhaust and cat so I can enjoy the rest of the summer! :)

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Picture of the new battery installed:

Sort of... Just need to get it secured.

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
I had been planning on getting a OE one from Mazda directly for a long time but at about the 3rd the cost I figured this eBay version will work probably just as well and I won't feel bad if I break it on the track or something.

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
Received and installed the Enthuza Car racer exhaust and high flow cat yesterday. I am very glad that I didn't get the non-resonated version because that would just be annoyingly loud. As-is the sound is perfection.

Installed front and rear tow hooks from Rennenmetal.com.

Secured the new battery in the trunk using a 4x4 deck tie.

Pictures of all this stuff to come.

THE Phen

Phenda Bear
:
2013 Abarth, 2004 MSM - FM, '74 BMW Bavaria, 97 Civic EX B18C1
I was super relieved when I put my new exhaust on and heard how much it quieted down. Loud cars can be fun, but too loud is annoying as hell. My old exhaust was pure murder. Top up - nothing but drone. Top down - drone, smell, volume. Not enjoyable for any trip over 5 miles.

princess peach

Peaches Motor Sports
:
'92 Miata, '06 MS6
I need to hear it, I can't decide between the XR and the regular one. The XR sounds awesome on youtube, but I know I won't really get that

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
I was super relieved when I put my new exhaust on and heard how much it quieted down. Loud cars can be fun, but too loud is annoying as hell. My old exhaust was pure murder. Top up - nothing but drone. Top down - drone, smell, volume. Not enjoyable for any trip over 5 miles.

Yeah I think that's what the non-resonated version would have been. I drove it to work with the top down this morning and at cruising speed there was no drone at all. Haven't driven with the top up yet.

I need to hear it, I can't decide between the XR and the regular one. The XR sounds awesome on youtube, but I know I won't really get that

Mine is more closely related to the speeder. I can't say how the turbo would effect the sound though. I'll be at the NORA/ASCC autocross this Sunday, Evan told me that you were going too?

WillD

Scrooge McDuck
:
R-package front lip installed:

Exhaust comparison:

Exhaust installed: