Will Mazda ever make a 6 cylinder for the CX-5?

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
I really like my CX-5 but man, a 6 cylinder would really make this thing pop. I did a search here but couldn't find anything on a future 6 cylinder engine.

It’s difficult to say if Mazda will install their new in-line 6 cylinder in the CX-5 platform. More likely it would be used in the new Mazda6 or a CX-9 as the current turbo engine works well in the smaller CX-5, but that’s just conjecture…

I really like my CX-5 but man, a 6 cylinder would really make this thing pop. I did a search here but couldn't find anything on a future 6 cylinder engine.
A recent report posted somewhere, which I can't find at the moment, stated a 300 hp longitudinal inline 6 will be going into the upcoming CX-50 with RWD and an 8-speed trans, AWD to be an added option at some point. It will be positioned, and one assumes priced, in the "premium" segment.

While it will be built on a somewhat longer new architecture, the interior dimensions will be purportedly similar to the current CX-5 with a chunk of the extra length going into a longer engine compartment to fit the block. The vehicle purportedly will have a more coupe-like appearance with the longer cowl and a somewhat more down-sloping rear roof line.

If that's the way it comes down, I cannot see it as a replacement for the CX-5 in the US market anyway. That would leave too large a gap between CX-30 and CX-50 which is where the high volume sales happen to be.

My conjecture only, but if this is the way it comes down they may drop the turbo in the US from the CX-5 line when they move it to the large architecture as has also been reported as a future development. CX-5 for everyman, CX-50 for performance.

I find it strange there is talk associated with CX-50 of the 2.5L 4-cylinder paired with a mild hybrid. That sounds like a CX-5 option to me. Turbos, superchargers on top of the 6-cylinder, or an all-elective would be CX-50 upper trims and price points.

This is from the US perspective. What they do elsewhere may vary.
What goes into what in one market or another will vary I would suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the CX5 could only accommodate a V6, and Mazda doesn't make one.

I found the link I mentioned earlier (taken from the CX-50 forum) with a description and visualization of the CX-50 that seems most plausible to me:

This visualization presents a longer nose than the CX-5, space for the longitudinal inline-6 which at the same time complements a more coup-ish styling objective along with the more sloping rear roof line. Other visualizations had it looking like an economy jellybean or just a CX-5 refresh in camo which is in fact what that might be.

As this piece suggests--CX-5 and CX-50 being sold side-by-side--makes too much sense to ignore. Otherwise there would be a big gap between the everyman subcompact CX-30 and "premium" compact performance CX-50 and leaves out the high volume segment in the middle price range where the CX-5 is today and where Mazda sells half it's vehicles in the US.

Even with a plug-in hybrid (a whole other market segment and kettle of fish) paired with the existing 2.5L as described targeting RAV4 Prime, that Toyota starts at $38,200 US. If it were me I'd badge that set-up as a CX-5 at the top of that price range and make CX-50 exclusively performance.

If CX-50 truly is "premium" I reckon the in-line 6 / 8-speed / RWD would start above where the current CX-5 Sig leaves off, $40,000 or so US, in line (no pun intended) or a little under the targeted competitors named in that article. When you get into AWD, turbos, twin turbos, an EV and extra gewgaws and tchotchkes start adding thousands.
It would make too much sense to retain the CX-5, drop the turbo option on that model, or at least the Sig trim, and sell the performance buyer into the CX-50.

Just fun stuff to talk about. The proof is in the pudding, as always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back