Why No Auto Memory & Auto Down Sideview Mirror Integration?

G

Guest2018

While I'm starting to actually go from 'like' to 'love' of my new CX-9 Signature and I do think Mazda knocked it out of the park with the new design, there are some things that leave me wondering: Why is that not here?

Auto Memory & Auto Down On Reverse Sideview Mirrors

Should be standard in all SUVs, as far as I am concerned. The ride height of SUVs demand the auto down on reverse and any luxury vehicle should auto adjust sideview mirrors per allocation for memory seats. This feature was in a 14 year old vehicle that I recently got rid of, so the tech has been around for quite some time now. Pressing the seat memory button (1 or 2) also moves the sideview mirrors into their respective position for that unique memory setting. Also, putting the vehicle in reverse also tilts each sideview mirror down so that both sides of the lowest portion of the vehicle can be clearly seen with a simple turn of the drivers head.

Maybe Mazda felt the rear backup camera provides the same (or better) functionality. Or, maybe I've just become so used to seeing my sideview mirrors tilt down on reverse that anything else just seems a bit odd. Or, maybe they were able to help keep the price down by not including it and relying instead on the backup camera and fixed guide lines.

Speaking of Fixed Guide Lines. Does anyone know whether the new 2018 will ship with Projection Guide Lines, or whether they (Fixed or Projection) have ever made a difference in your driving?

These things are more than likely not high on Mazda's list of things to do.

I doubt auto mirror down when reversing will be coming since they have just released a 360 camera on the CX-8 which basically gives a complete view around the car and this feature will slowly filter to all other models including the CX-9 in the not too distant future.

Strongly agree. Most of these crossovers only offer it on the highest trims, so it ends up being like a 15k option.

The 2015 Grand Touring had side mirrors that automatically moved down when in reverse. I was surprised that it wasn't carried forward to the 2nd gens.

The 2015 Grand Touring had side mirrors that automatically moved down when in reverse. I was surprised that it wasn't carried forward to the 2nd gens.

Cost cutting perhaps.

Strange thing is 2017 CX-5 Akera (top spec here) has side camera which in essence is the equivalent to auto down in reverse mirror .

Back