Why is there oil in the driveway under my cx5???

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
2016 Miata Club, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175
Dummies at the stealership didn't tighten the drain plug after my first oil change. Drove 1000 miles to NC and had it parked for a week....drip drip. Called the dealer back in MA told he needs to have a talk with the tech! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426113116.314429.jpg

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the tech's fault. Drain plugs on CX-5s have a tendency to weep (mine and several others here) and I found a few drops on my garage floor once too. I do my own servicing and I'm due for a change. I'm prepared this time with Permatex Drain Plug Sealant.

inlinev

:
2016 CX-5 GT w/tech FWD
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the tech's fault. Drain plugs on CX-5s have a tendency to weep (mine and several others here) and I found a few drops on my garage floor once too. I do my own servicing and I'm due for a change. I'm prepared this time with Permatex Drain Plug Sealant.

is this really the case? I can understand human error, but a drain plug that won't seal? That seems pretty bad.

robertmazda

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
When my car was new it also leaked a small amount of oil, and I do it myself with a new crush washer every time. I've been doing this for 30 years on many cars and never had this happen before. It was a small amount, so I never really worried about it. For some reason it eventually stopped the small leak and now never has that problem.

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
2016 Miata Club, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175
Really? Of all things, we should be able to make a drain plug that doesn't leak? I have one of those quick drain plugs on the msm, love it! I guess I'll be getting one for the cx5 as well!

:
Update on "weepy" drain plug issue

The last time I checked to see if my drain plug was weeping again (third time) was about 1500 miles ago and sure enough it was. I have never bothered to torque the plug to the recommended setting because 1) in 50 years of changing oil I have NEVER had to do this before and have NEVER had one leak like this one has, including two Miatas. 2) I didn't have an 8mm hex socket to do it with and 3) I have always trusted my "wrist torque wrench". By that time though I had acquired the necessary 3/8" drive socket and torqued it to 30#, figuring if it continued to weep for another 1500 miles it was no big deal as it was a pretty slow leak. So here we are 1500 miles later and time for an oil change. When I dropped the plastic trap door there was no sign of a leak. So what that tells me is that, for whatever reason, the proper torque setting is more important than you would think on this thing. And BTW, when I torqued it mid-change, it felt like I had wrist-set it to maybe the low end of the recommended torque range (23# ft) and I had the wrench set at the top end (30#) to be sure. So needless to say, I'm going to continue to torque it to 30# from now on and in addition, use Permatex drain plug sealant to be extra sure the leak doesn't reappear. (2thumbs)

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 GT AWD, '12 GX 460, '07 G35x
Contributor
:
'15 CX-5 GT AWD
The last time I checked to see if my drain plug was weeping again (third time) was about 1500 miles ago and sure enough it was. I have never bothered to torque the plug to the recommended setting because 1) in 50 years of changing oil I have NEVER had to do this before and have NEVER had one leak like this one has, including two Miatas. 2) I didn't have an 8mm hex socket to do it with and 3) I have always trusted my "wrist torque wrench". By that time though I had acquired the necessary 3/8" drive socket and torqued it to 30#, figuring if it continued to weep for another 1500 miles it was no big deal as it was a pretty slow leak. So here we are 1500 miles later and time for an oil change. When I dropped the plastic trap door there was no sign of a leak. So what that tells me is that, for whatever reason, the proper torque setting is more important than you would think on this thing. And BTW, when I torqued it mid-change, it felt like I had wrist-set it to maybe the low end of the recommended torque range (23# ft) and I had the wrench set at the top end (30#) to be sure. So needless to say, I'm going to continue to torque it to 30# from now on and in addition, use Permatex drain plug sealant to be extra sure the leak doesn't reappear. (2thumbs)

I'll be changing my oil in about a month so will see if Fumoto has leaked at all. Not likely though... I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.

:
I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.
I just did that too. If you've never done it before, it's easiest to start with a front corner, put a jack stand under it and work you way around the back until you get back to the one you started with. I use a floor jack and two jack stands to get the job done.

Jonesey

:
CX-5 6MT
I've been using these - drain plugs with rubber gasket. They seal very well. I get them at Autozoone - about 4 for 3.00
11118342.jpg

:
I've been using these - drain plugs with rubber gasket. They seal very well. I get them at Autozoone - about 4 for 3.00
11118342.jpg
you mean "drain plug washer" with rubber gasket? That's what it looks like, anyway.

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 GT AWD, '12 GX 460, '07 G35x
Contributor
:
'15 CX-5 GT AWD
I'll be changing my oil in about a month so will see if Fumoto has leaked at all. Not likely though... I need to rotate my tires tomorrow. I do that myself with two 12v scissor jacks. I was looking in FSM and I could use my floor jacks at a few certain spots but think I will stick with the scissors this time.

While rotating tires today I could see in to filter & valve area and dry everywhere.

erhayes

Contributor
:
2021CX5 Reserve
I have no leaks on my 2014 CX5. I follow directions and clean the surface of the pan where the new washer sits and tighten the plug to 25 LB/FT.

Latest posts