Why does every dealer insist on Diesel

Primarily for the reason I mentioned previously - that I much prefer the sporty nature of an engine that builds power more strongly as rpm's rise. It provides a more engaging driving experience.

But there are a lot of other reasons.

2) Lower cost up front. I am an investor and have more profitable places to invest the money than having it sit under my hood. With the higher cost of diesel fuel it takes years of getting higher mpg to pay off the initial investment. I can put the money to work more profitably elsewhere.

Agreed for purchase price: in the uk diesel is 2-3% dearer in summer and about 5-7% in winter. I estimate I get 25-30% more mpg.

3) Less availability of diesel - limits my choices of where and when I fuel up. Every station carries regular unleaded.

Agreed - but available in every petrol station in the uk

4) While fueling the diesel pump handle is often contaminated with diesel fuel and this smell transfers to my hands requiring soap and water. Or I can use a paper towel to grab the pump handle. Either way it is less convenient and smells stronger than petrol.

Plastic disposable gloves are supplied at the pump to stop this.

5) Short trips. The petrol engine is better for short trips in cold weather.

Advantages of a diesel engine:

1) Better MPG. As I've already explained, this is not a financial advantage once all ownership costs (and lost investment potential) are considered. But I would appreciate the extra range because it would somewhat reduce the number of times I need to refuel. But, to me, this convenience is negated by the lower availability of diesel and the potential for lingering odors of raw diesel.

I want to drive the most efficient car possible of the size I need to minimize the impact my driving has on the planet. If its cheaper so be it. The net result if more miles for less fuel. Just like I buy fair trade where I can, and buy free range eggs rather than battery farmed. Mazda have the idea that you can have fun driving and still produce more environmentally responsible vehicles. (petrol or diesel). As humans we are not exactly the kindest species for the planet, but if we all try a bit more to do a bit less damage it can make a difference

2) More torque. Big torque numbers are vastly over-rated by amateur Internet auto/truck enthusiasts. When I feel a particular vehicle is limited in power, it is always peak power that I am lamenting is too low, not peak torque. If I want to climb a steeper hill or accelerate faster I can always downshift another gear to get the desired torque to the pavement (up to the point that I am limited by peak horsepower). Torque to the pavement is achieved through engine horsepower, not engine torque. The tires do not know or care what rpm the engine is at, all they "see" is the level of power being delivered, they do not care how that power is generated. And with modern 6 speed transmissions, engine torque is less relevant than ever.

I love the surge of torque the diesel has very addictive, but equally our petrol car 'fizzes' along, fun in a different way

So I really get why diesel doesn't do it for you in the US. Because we have higher RON petrol as a minimum standard in europe our petrol runs at 14:1 and you get more power. Even with this improvement if you were in Europe you may be swayed to diesel as there are less disadvantages with it over here.

[QUOTE I want to drive the most efficient car possible of the size I need to minimize the impact my driving has on the planet. If its cheaper so be it. The net result if more miles for less fuel [/QUOTE]
So if you wanted more mile for less fuel you would choose a petrol over a diesel if doing mainly short trips then ?

I have decided that Petrol is for me as although I have nothing against diesel , i don't do enough miles , i don't need torque , i don't need the extra costs .
My company vehicle is Diesel and can cover anything up to 200 miles a day , so makes sense (but can not use for private use)
But my private Vehicle wont do 200 miles a month between me and the wife .
Of all the vehicles i have driven , most of them I have driven both the petrol and diesel version and to be honest in most cases if I had not already known I couldn't tell you if it was Diesel or Petrol even on one occasion I had to ask as I forgot which one I had taken out .
The cx5 is quoted as having good residual values over 3yrs be it Petrol (49%) or Diesel (50%) which fares better than Ford, Audi , VW, BMW which all hover around the 40% mark .
I have compared vehicles on a running cost basis and I would need to do between 18500 miles a year and 26000 miles a year over 3 years for a Diesel to start paying.
Being that at at my last MOT i had covered 4800 miles in one year by the time I came to sell a diesel vehicle i would be out of pocket by a few thousand 's so going to use that few 's to replace my heating system in my house which will save me 1/3 off my gas bill (that's Heating Gas not Gasoline for the US readers)

My millionaire nephew never buys a car now, just leases one, and always gets one with the lowest lease, have you looked at leasing?

[QUOTE I want to drive the most efficient car possible of the size I need to minimize the impact my driving has on the planet. If its cheaper so be it. The net result if more miles for less fuel
So if you wanted more mile for less fuel you would choose a petrol over a diesel if doing mainly short trips then ?

well, yes of course. That assumes the small 7 year old petrol 1.3 is better than a new 2.2 diesel. the petrol is 137 g/m the diesel 119 g/m. please remember that 7 years ago 137 g/m was good. Now of course it's pants.

Most if not all the CX5 reviews in Australia painted the 2litre petrol engine as underpowered. As price and availability of Diesel where i live is not an issue we chose the Diesel. While my previous cars have never been very impressive as far as power goes ( Mazda 121, Mazda Premacy) i am thoroughly enjoying the almost instant pick up, off the line and right up the speed range, that is achieved with the CX5 Diesel . Major engine components are lighter and respond quicker. The twin Turbo employs a smaller turbo that produces the best boost pressure from the lower exhaust gas pressure at lower revs, an electronically controlled valve switches the exhaust gas flow to a larger big brother Turbo that provides exciting power at highway speeds. Give me the Skyactive turbo Diesel any day.

(iagree)

Most if not all the CX5 reviews in Australia painted the 2litre petrol engine as underpowered. As price and availability of Diesel where i live is not an issue we chose the Diesel. While my previous cars have never been very impressive as far as power goes ( Mazda 121, Mazda Premacy) i am thoroughly enjoying the almost instant pick up, off the line and right up the speed range, that is achieved with the CX5 Diesel . Major engine components are lighter and respond quicker. The twin Turbo employs a smaller turbo that produces the best boost pressure from the lower exhaust gas pressure at lower revs, an electronically controlled valve switches the exhaust gas flow to a larger big brother Turbo that provides exciting power at highway speeds. Give me the Skyactive turbo Diesel any day.

That is probably the best way to sum up the premature oil rising issue as well.

In particular where you say based on past, not present and then of course we will have the future.

Also you are right regards consumer demand dictating fuel options, America & Canada proves that out. Europe however, different story, look at Germany (VW Group, Mercedes) & France (Peugeot Citroen) for example, nearly always diesel and the engines are more reliable than some of their petrol options, hardly anybody buys a petrol Mercedes in Europe, if they do the resale value is usually pretty poor.

Alex

Actually us Canadians consumer dont dictated anything in terms of model or demands. If USA does not want a model we just simply wont get it. 30 millions consumer versus 300 millions. The problem is that in US diesel is more expensive than gas compared to here being almost on par. A lot of Canadians would want a diesel but it's just not coming because most americans consumer dont want any.

Actually us Canadians consumer dont dictated anything in terms of model or demands. If USA does not want a model we just simply wont get it. 30 millions consumer versus 300 millions. The problem is that in US diesel is more expensive than gas compared to here being almost on par. A lot of Canadians would want a diesel but it's just not coming because most americans consumer dont want any.

Then again there's the occasional exception to this. Kia Canada has released a brand new Rondo for 2014, for instance, even if it won't be sold in the US. Chevrolet sells the Trax here, but Americans are limited to the Buick version of that CUV. We've had a Civic-based Acura forever here, under different names. Nissan had the X-Trail for Canada before the Rogue existed.

All we need is a company that can see a bit further than the USA market and voil!

Then again there's the occasional exception to this. Kia Canada has released a brand new Rondo for 2014, for instance, even if it won't be sold in the US. Chevrolet sells the Trax here, but Americans are limited to the Buick version of that CUV. We've had a Civic-based Acura forever here, under different names. Nissan had the X-Trail for Canada before the Rogue existed.

All we need is a company that can see a bit further than the USA market and voil!

I know all of those exceptions but it is what it is, exceptions. Most of the time USA dictated what we have here.
But you are right there is a few exceptions. Comme tu dit "voila".....
For example the new merc Class "A" would probably be a hit here in Qubec but Mercedes said no no to the Class "A", it's a shame especially they AMG class "A" with 355 hp from a trubo 4 2.0 liter.

Yes I get that.

Iv'e just spent a month in Canada and most gas stations I visited only had petrol pumps on the forecourts, in fact where there was perhaps the exception it would be advertised that diesel was available, and in extreme cases signs saying "No Diesel"

It is sad however that America rules in your case and it is down to market men dictating that they know best, but there again you have Tim Hortons which is far better than Starbucks. Call me sad if you like but I did put Timmys app on my phone.

It seemed to me the diesel suppliers over there are on par with LPG suppliers in the UK meaning they are as rare as hens teeth.

Alex

I think you seriously need to accept that my preferences aren't yours.

MikeM has accepted long ago that your preferences aren't his xtrailman.

He has been very patient and courteous with you in his replies. Not merely repeating himself as you claim.

The point you are missing is that YOU have to seriously accept that YOUR preferences shouldn't be EVERYONE ELSE'S and that it is arrogant to presume so.

Difference of preference could be summed up as engaging=NA petrol, effortless=turbo diesel.

My wife has a diesel, I have a petrol. I enjoy both for different reasons.
If choosing petrol, I advise a manual gearbox (which also adds to driver engagement).

Cheers,
Giddy.

MikeM has accepted long ago that your preferences aren't his xtrailman.

He has been very patient and courteous with you in his replies. Not merely repeating himself as you claim.

The point you are missing is that YOU have to seriously accept that YOUR preferences shouldn't be EVERYONE ELSE'S and that it is arrogant to presume so.

Difference of preference could be summed up as engaging=NA petrol, effortless=turbo diesel.

My wife has a diesel, I have a petrol. I enjoy both for different reasons.
If choosing petrol, I advise a manual gearbox (which also adds to driver engagement).

Cheers,
Giddy.

Why do you have a problem with my choice?

I've had the rest now I'm happy to drive a turbo car, petrol or diesel suits me.

If that's arrogance , then I'm guilty, get over it.

Why do you have a problem with my choice?

I've had the rest now I'm happy to drive a turbo car, petrol or diesel suits me.

If that's arrogance , then I'm guilty, get over it.

I'm not as patient as MikeM so I'll be explicit for you xtrailman.

No one is trying to convince you that your preference for diesel is wrong.
No one has a problem with your choice.

What MikeM tried to point out to you, is that it is arrogant or presumptuous to assume that everyone will or should agree with your choice.

You obviously don't read replies to your posts with open eyes.
I'm happy with your choice, but don't assume everyone should agree with you. That's arrogance.
(I hope you catch the ball this time, 'cause I ain't throwing it again!)

Oh dear me, go have a cup of tea.

That should help, or seek help, if that doesn't work.

I'm not as patient as MikeM so I'll be explicit for you xtrailman.

No one is trying to convince you that your preference for diesel is wrong.
No one has a problem with your choice.

What MikeM tried to point out to you, is that it is arrogant or presumptuous to assume that everyone will or should agree with your choice.

You obviously don't read replies to your posts with open eyes.
I'm happy with your choice, but don't assume everyone should agree with you. That's arrogance.
(I hope you catch the ball this time, 'cause I ain't throwing it again!)

Oh dear me, go have a cup of tea.

That should help, or seek help, if that doesn't work.

Have you considered a remedial comprehension class xtrailman?
That's just the ticket for you.
Then come back and have some logical discussions on this forum.
You'd be helping everybody here.

Over and out,
Giddy.

Hope the US does get Diesel someday

Have you considered a remedial comprehension class xtrailman?
That's just the ticket for you.
Then come back and have some logical discussions on this forum.
You'd be helping everybody here.

Over and out,
Giddy.

Giddy
2c worth: I have a CX-5 GT Diesel (bright red). Absolutely love it- first Diesel I've ever had. Done 15,000km and have kept economy figures since new. Running average is 8.1 l/100km or 33.7 mpg for our US friends and I do mostly city work and short trips. On a 30km freeway trip I got 5.1 / 52mpg. Did have an issue with the exhaust gas sensor replaced under warranty- I bought a PLX KIWI device and use Torque App on my Android phone so I can work out what the true error code is instead of the silly orange engine light. Worth $99 since it will work on my other car and mate's cars too.
Glad to say my oil level doesn't go up between services- I check it regularly.
Power/torque is immense and mated to the 6 speed gearbox it just takes off like a stabbed rat when you need to.

Giddy
2c worth: I have a CX-5 GT Diesel (bright red). Absolutely love it- first Diesel I've ever had. Done 15,000km and have kept economy figures since new. Running average is 8.1 l/100km or 33.7 mpg for our US friends and I do mostly city work and short trips. On a 30km freeway trip I got 5.1 / 52mpg. Did have an issue with the exhaust gas sensor replaced under warranty- I bought a PLX KIWI device and use Torque App on my Android phone so I can work out what the true error code is instead of the silly orange engine light. Worth $99 since it will work on my other car and mate's cars too.
Glad to say my oil level doesn't go up between services- I check it regularly.
Power/torque is immense and mated to the 6 speed gearbox it just takes off like a stabbed rat when you need to.

G'day Happy Chappy,
When buying wife's car, dealer insisted we drove petrol then diesel in that order. Wife only wanted auto transmission. 2 litre petrol jumped up and down gears searching for either power or economy, consequently we chose the diesel.
Apart from oil rising issue that was fixed with a reprogram, the vehicle has been excellent. Thanks for the advice on torque app. We've completed 19,000km and due for 12mth service next week. Long term average fuel usage is 6.3 litres/100km, half urban/highway (minimal traffic jams).
Chose white for safety & practicality. Stormy Blue was too dark, should have gone with Zeal? red (maroonish colour).
We're fairly gentle with throttle application, on the few occasions we've applied more, acceleration was jaw dropping!
Aussies tend to prefer a fairly lively response from a standing start.
Hope the 2.5 litre petrol satisfies consumers who are wary of diesel et al.

We're fairly gentle with throttle application, on the few occasions we've applied more, acceleration was jaw dropping!
Aussies tend to prefer a fairly lively response from a standing start.
Jaw Dropping acceleration performance from a CX-5?

I guess you Aussies had deprived driving experiences in past years if the acceleration of any version of the CX-5 causes jaw drpping.

When I want exceptional acceleration I turn to vehicles that are either a lot lighter or have much bigger, more powerful engines.

For cripes, it's a frickin' SUV!

Jaw Dropping acceleration performance from a CX-5?

I guess you Aussies had deprived driving experiences in past years if the acceleration of any version of the CX-5 causes jaw drpping.

When I want exceptional acceleration I turn to vehicles that are either a lot lighter or have much bigger, more powerful engines.

For cripes, it's a frickin' SUV!

in the uk it is one of the faster SUV's and light for one too. I've gone from for 11s 0-60 (old vehicle) to 9.2s in the cx-5 so that is noticeably quicker for me. the 175ps version is described by one car mag as having 'brutal' reserves of torque.(eek2)

Back