• I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Antoine

Administrator
That's right, it's POLL time! 😁

I was reading another MX-30 thread and thought, I wonder how many people are interested in the MX-30 at this point...Well, cast your vote and let us know...Thoughts and comments on why, welcome...Thanks!

Having had a Prius before, and driving a Leaf a few times, I wholeheartedly look forward to Mazda's approach to the concept. I must say though, that given their willingness to experiment with alternate powertrains, I have been very surprised by Mazda's late arrival to the party. Let us only hope that they can follow through with an appropriate grand entrance...

I must say though, that given their willingness to experiment with alternate powertrains, I have been very surprised by Mazda's late arrival to the party. Let us only hope that they can follow through with an appropriate grand entrance...
Good point...Perhaps it's simply because they have limited resources (compared to say Toyota) and what currently sells well for them are gas-powered SUVs / CUVs..? No doubt they have experimented a lot over the years...Also, the market for electric powered vehicles seems to be gaining momentum with the mainstream.

* Poll Update: Added "I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata"

I'd be interested in an electric once it can actually go as far as gasoline (if not farther) with a charging infrastructure to support it, and some way to charge it is fast as it is to fuel my gas one.

I'm sure we are way off from that last point, so for now just put me as a "No".

I'm both interested in the MX-30 but would also like an electric or pluging-hybrid CX-30, so the poll is a bit limited for me (maybe give the possibility to choose motre than one option?) but I chose "I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9".

I'd be interested in an electric once it can actually go as far as gasoline (if not farther) with a charging infrastructure to support it, and some way to charge it is fast as it is to fuel my gas one.

I'm sure we are way off from that last point, so for now just put me as a "No".
I hear ya...I would not be surprised if a lot of people feel the same way and for good reason. I also think the interest and excitement for electric vehicles is growing especially if the tech inside becomes really attractive, useful and convenient.

Infrastructure is key though...

maybe give the possibility to choose motre than one option?
Good idea...Expanded it to two..(y)

In the UK there are 500 available for reservation although details are scant about internal dimensions including boot (trunk) volume and will not be available until next year. Surely they know as it has been designed and is in production. Lack of range around town here in the UK is not a problem if you have a home chargepoint. Longer journeys will be an issue as the charging infrastructure here is still poor. Competitors around the same price point have better range so I won't be buying an MX-30 even though I will get an electric car in the next year or two.

Yes, the range is 124 miles (subject to homologation) See https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda-mx-30/

Also see https://ev-database.uk/#sort:path~t...t=60~260|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=9

The main competitor in the UK will be the MG ZS EV (140 miles) and Kia E-Niro at 235 miles. The rest are smaller cars but on the other hand we still don't know the boot (trunk) space for the MX-30 plus the price still has to be finalised which is understandable in these troubled times. Both of my quoted examples are on the road now so range has been tested and proved.

Here's the German brochure for the MX-30:

If you scroll down to page 24, you can see the dimensions, exterior, interior and boot.
Price for base verion is €33,490 and €33,990 for First Edition version.
Here in Denmark we also get a version above the First Edition, called Cosmo at around €36,000, at the moment we pay no taxes on electric cars, only on petrol/diesel cars - which is why the MX-30 costs the same in Denmark as in Germany (it's actually slightly cheaper than in Germany).

Thanks Santa. Interestingly there's no brochure on the UK site and only one trim version. Very poor. How can you make an informed decision to order when the detail is lacking.:confused: 366 litres for the boot space which is no good to me and no frunk even.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but perhaps Mazda is attempting to make the MX-30 more fun to drive than the competition and therefore has sacrificed some elements like range and capacity in an effort to reduce weight and improve driving dynamics..?

Personally, I think the MX-30's styling / design seems a bit more premium and sophisticated than the competition.

All that said, I understand range and capacity is obviously a major selling point for many people.

I'm not sure but perhaps Mazda is attempting to make the MX-30 more fun to drive than the competition and therefore has sacrificed some elements like range and capacity in an effort to reduce weight and improve driving dynamics..?

Personally, I think the MX-30's styling / design seems a bit more premium and sophisticated than the competition.

All that said, I understand range and capacity is obviously a major selling point for many people.

Trouble is I DO like the styling. The motor is in the front so what's happened to the boot (trunk) space? There's no fuel tank and no exhaust pipe to take up the room. (Rhetorical question really unless any Mazda engineers can answer).

Could be related to the batteries, cooling, weight / design constraints...I forgot to mention, there's also talk of a range extender...In the form of a micro rotary-powered generator I believe..?

Could be related to the batteries, cooling, weight / design constraints...I forgot to mention, there's also talk of a range extender...In the form of a micro rotary-powered generator I believe..?
There is :)
If you see the review on Autogefühl he actually mentions the rangeextender when he shows the cutaway MX-30 at the showroom, it's placed next to the electricmotor in the front.
Go to 5:06 in the video for the cutaway.

I test drove the MX-30 yesterday. Excellent build quality and a real upmarket interior. Soundproofing is also good.

I kinda like the fake engine noise they've put in, it's not loud, just sort in the background and I find it non-intrusive but it gives this perception of an actual engine.

Ok acceleration, remember it's only a 140hp electric motor, but it works as it should.
Rearseats are ok but getting in an out will take some getting used to. There's buttons on the back of the drivers seat, to move the seat forward/backward and reclining the back (only with electric dirvers seat), so the passenger in the back can have more space to get out. And the buttons only work when car is turned off.

I can see this as our car number 2 and primary drive-to-work car (I drive 2 x 35 km every day).

I test drove the MX-30 yesterday. Excellent build quality and a real upmarket interior. Soundproofing is also good.

I kinda like the fake engine noise they've put in, it's not loud, just sort in the background and I find it non-intrusive but it gives this perception of an actual engine.

Ok acceleration, remember it's only a 140hp electric motor, but it works as it should.
Rearseats are ok but getting in an out will take some getting used to. There's buttons on the back of the drivers seat, to move the seat forward/backward and reclining the back (only with electric dirvers seat), so the passenger in the back can have more space to get out. And the buttons only work when car is turned off.

I can see this as our car number 2 and primary drive-to-work car (I drive 2 x 35 km every day).
Wow, you’ve actually driven one, thanks for sharing that experience with us here, much appreciated!

The MX-30 sounds very promising based on your first hand impression...Are you seriously considering purchasing one now that you’ve test driven one..?

Wow, you’ve actually driven one, thanks for sharing that experience with us here, much appreciated!

The MX-30 sounds very promising based on your first hand impression...Are you seriously considering purchasing one now that you’ve test driven one..?
We're not looking for a second car at the moment but if/when we do, the MX-30 is very much in the running. We don't need an electric car with high range, like a Tesla, so the MX-30 would actually fit quite nicely.

But I get it's not for everyone. It is more of a lifestyle car than many other electric cars, if you know what I mean. You don't buy it to get a flexible, roomy car with high range. It's more of a semi-luxury 2 person car for driving locally.

I believe I just spotted one in a Mazda Dealer here in Japan. It was just a glance but I’m pretty sure that’s what I saw...Exciting!

Back