which axle for MSP?

(u_u) ...zZzZzzz
hey guys, need a driver side axle. bought one from rockauto but its causing my car to shake. jacked car up, turned wheel and saw the shaft area wobble a bit. i'd rather deal with a local store at this point than shipping it back and forth.

ive read on different thread (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812918-CV-Axle-for-a-MSP) that msp and non msp axles fit, but the compressed length i'm seeing are different.
just wanted a second opinion. i'm bolding the differences between the two below.

MSP specific (Manual Transmission, ABS, MPS2 Suspension): http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...aft-Left-Front-Remfd/_/R-NMD953314_0325035906

Part Number: NMD 953314, Product Line: NAPA MaxDrive
CV Driveshaft Compressed Length : 23 1/8"
Includes ABS Inner Sensor Ring : Yes
Inner Joint Spline Count : 26 + 2 Blank
Outer Joint Spline Count : 26
ABS Ring Teeth Count : 44
Contents : Axle Nut Included
Inboard Joint Type : Female
Longevity Enhancements : 3% Moly Grease
New Components : Neoprene Boots
Outboard Joint Type : Male

Non MSP (Manual Transmission, ABS, Except MPS2 Suspension): http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...aft-Left-Front-Remfd/_/R-NMD953243_0325035904

Part Number: NMD 953243, Product Line: NAPA MaxDrive
CV Driveshaft Compressed Length : 24 3/8"
Includes ABS Inner Sensor Ring : Yes
Inner Joint Spline Count : 28
Outer Joint Spline Count : 26
ABS Ring Teeth Count : 44
Contents : Axle Nut Included
Inboard Joint Type : Male
Longevity Enhancements : 3% Moly Grease
New Components : Neoprene Boots
Outboard Joint Type : Male​

another noob question. for the inner spline, whats the difference between 26+2 blank and 28?

I am no expert here, but when I tried to replace my driver's side CV axle Napa told me their part was not compatible with the Mazdaspeed. Neither were those stocked by Advance, AutoZone, and O'reilly (despite what shows up in their computer). I wound up getting mine from Federated Auto Parts, locally. I am not sure what parts of the country they're in but if you have one I would try there. I spent weeks trying to find the right part! It sucks.

Everything is exactly the same between the 2. Trans is the same( aside from the diff) control arms are the same. The only difference is the stock msp axles were 2mm thicker. Why the axles are 2mm thicker instead of the rods is beyond me.

Sounds like you got an unbalanced axle. Send it back get another one and go on about life

Edit: and no. You do not have to use the msp axles you can use regular protege axles as you will break a rod before an axle

I could not for the life of me get the "standard" protege driver's side axle into the transmission. When I got one for the MSP it went it without any trouble. Are you sure the driver's side axles are the same? Maybe mine was a fluke

Everything is exactly the same between the 2. Trans is the same( aside from the diff) control arms are the same. The only difference is the stock msp axles were 2mm thicker. Why the axles are 2mm thicker instead of the rods is beyond me.

Sounds like you got an unbalanced axle. Send it back get another one and go on about life

Edit: and no. You do not have to use the msp axles you can use regular protege axles as you will break a rod before an axle

Mazda pulled the 2mm thinker axles from their old parts bin off of a 92-95 mx-3 with the 1.8 v6. Itwas a slight upgrade with no R&D necessary.

thank for all the info! dropping car off tmr to swap out axles. will update thread

Mazda pulled the 2mm thinker axles from their old parts bin off of a 92-95 mx-3 with the 1.8 v6. Itwas a slight upgrade with no R&D necessary.

90% of the msp was old stuff with no thought process. Intercooler was from the diesels in Europe LSD was a joke. If they would have put any thought into it the msp would have gotten the already well proven bpt. They were made in the early-mid 90s and held together at 400+ whp stock a few have seen that with the stock turbo. But no they through a turbo and whatever they had laying around onto the joke of the fsde

yeah the bp would've been nice. someone should just make a kit to make the bp a drop in swap

Mounts and axles. Then do a mega squirt with custom harness ~$800 in that alone though plus $300-400 for mounts and $150-200 for axles plus motor and trans. Would you sunk that much into a protege?

i mean.................. there's always something that pops up that needs to be fixed. eventually i will sink that much into it anyway? lol

A BP swap could be done for under 1K if you can do a lot of DIY and have a few pull it yourself yards around. A Vanilla BP motor is capable of 250whp add a set of $250 ebay connecting rods into that engine and stock pistons and 300whp will be reliable on the engine side, no promises on the transmission though.

I'm using some eBay stuff with one of my builds but one thing I would never go cheap on is internals...

I hear you on the ebay stuff, but I would make an exception with the BP, there's enough people running them in the Miata turbo world with no issues for me to not think twice about them. Only reason I don;t have them in my Turbo Miata is because I got a slammer deal on stock Bp-t connecting rods ($40 shipped) for my build.

Mazda did what they could with what they had and they honestly did a great job. 99% of performance models are built through parts-bin hunting by the manufacturers. This is becoming less common but 10 years ago it was in full effect.

I hear you on the ebay stuff, but I would make an exception with the BP, there's enough people running them in the Miata turbo world with no issues for me to not think twice about them. Only reason I don;t have them in my Turbo Miata is because I got a slammer deal on stock Bp-t connecting rods ($40 shipped) for my build.

A lot of the bp miata guys seem to love b6t rods

Mazda did what they could with what they had and they honestly did a great job. 99% of performance models are built through parts-bin hunting by the manufacturers. This is becoming less common but 10 years ago it was in full effect.

Yes this is true. But simply slapping a turbo on a motor discontinued in the 90's was a poor decision. Just remember that honda was making 220 hp through an na 2.0 in 2003 from a newly designed motor. Honestly I think all of us can agree that we would have been happy with the msp getting the klze instead of the fsdet

got my axle in. mechanic said it's still shaking. ugh. what else could it be... that corner has new hub, new knuckle, new bearing, new axle, new suspension.

got my axle in. mechanic said it's still shaking. ugh. what else could it be... that corner has new hub, new knuckle, new bearing, new axle, new suspension.
This might sound stupid but is your wheel and tire balanced.

Def not stupid. Forgot to mention I did have bad tires. Just got new tires with less than 700 miles on them

Back