Where do you keep your connected wired cell phone?

2021 CX-5 Signature:
Accepting for now that there is no wireless CarPlay my question is so where in your car do you keep your wired phone? I dont want it hidden because I will forget and leave it in the car and since I use ApplePay for everything I need it with me. I dont want to block a vent and I also would like to hide or make less obvious the cord, any suggestions appreciated.

(Amazon) AYADA Phone Holder for Mazda CX-5, CX-5 Phone Holder Phone Mount Upgrade Design Gravity Auto Lock Stable Easy to Install CX5 Accessories 2017 2018 2019 2020​

Not sure if it will fit a 2021.

1614944635348.png

Kuda makes the best phone mounts money can buy. They are simply amazing, pick one up.

I hot glued a stack of neodymium magnets to the back of the mount to hold my phone.

Video of how it looks

IMG_20201123_153236063_HDR.jpgIMG_20201123_153251823_HDR.jpgy

Last edited:

(Amazon) AYADA Phone Holder for Mazda CX-5, CX-5 Phone Holder Phone Mount Upgrade Design Gravity Auto Lock Stable Easy to Install CX5 Accessories 2017 2018 2019 2020​

Not sure if it will fit a 2021.

View attachment 296105
thanks but I dont want to block the vent

In the cup holder
its a good place except you cant see it and my phone is too big.

Kids makes the best phone mounts money can buy. They are simply amazing, pick one up.

I hot glued a stack of neodymium magnets to the back of the mount to hold my phone.

Video of how it looks

View attachment 296107View attachment 296108y
looks interesting, could you please share a link, I cant find it anywhere.

@bloodshots

The 2017 - 2021 physically are identical, so all of the previous solutions / discussions still apply.

I’ve been thinking about trying something like this. They make ones with longer, flexible arms too. Seems like it could work given the position of the cigarette socket in the front cubby. But not sure I want the arm there all the time so haven’t figured out if the measurement work.

Attachments

• EDDACECF-4FA6-4C26-92D6-072E3AA1A539.png
    EDDACECF-4FA6-4C26-92D6-072E3AA1A539.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 142
My wireless iPhone solution. (aka Rube Goldberg)
I have an old iPhone 6s without a SIM card that I connect to the Mazda with BT and the USB wire and will leave it in the storage compartment permanently.
I enabled the on board WiFi and connect to it, I configure my regular phone which I carry on a belt pouch to auto connect to the car wifi when available, I also configure my regular phone to allow the phone without a sim to receive calls etc.
Now the phone without the sim provides Carplay and receives call.
No fuss no bother, I get on board wifi free for 3 months which will give me time to either find a different solution or see if its worth $20 per month and continue this.
Addendum: the iPhone's built in hot spot does not maintain the connection every time I leave the vehicle, I will keep working on this which would do away with having to use the in vehicle wifi subscription.

This solution uses the exact same dash connection as RCBrews above but has a magnetic phone mount. It attaches to the dash and firmly holds my phone without blocking the vents or emergency flashers. It’s easy to attach and detach my phone. I’ve chosen the magnetic mount but they offer another solution with automatic arms to hold your phone.

Attachments​

• 864804FA-6E13-42AC-AD74-728CBF222E9A.jpeg
    864804FA-6E13-42AC-AD74-728CBF222E9A.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 34

Reactions: TBD
it looks like you have to remove parts of the dash and bend some metal, am I missing something?
You have to pop off the bottom rear center console cover to install it, then simply replace it after you put the mount on. It takes like 30 seconds and requires no tools, as that panel is simply clipped into place.

This solution uses the exact same dash connection as RCBrews above but has a magnetic phone mount. It attaches to the dash and firmly holds my phone without blocking the vents or emergency flashers. It’s easy to attach and detach my phone. I’ve chosen the magnetic mount but they offer another solution with automatic arms to hold your phone.

Attachments​

• 864804FA-6E13-42AC-AD74-728CBF222E9A.jpeg
    864804FA-6E13-42AC-AD74-728CBF222E9A.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 34
The low profile aspect of this mount makes it very interesting to me. I’m new to the topic, so forgive me if this is an obvious question, but does the other side of that magnet fit under a standard phone case without a problem?

Last edited:
The low profile aspect of this mount makes it very interesting to me. I’m new to the topic, so forgive me if this is an obvious question, but does the other side of that magnet fit under a standard phone case without a problem?
Most if not all phone cases come with a thin piece of steel that you slip between the back of the phone and the case.

I believe a few posters above posted of this magnetic phone holder. Here is mine anyway with Pics of it. I prefer the magnetic holder over all the others I've tried over the years. This phone holder snaps in between the two center heating vents. It works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Attachments

• Magnetic Car Phone Holder 1.jpg
    Magnetic Car Phone Holder 1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 144
  • Magnetic Car Phone Holder 2.jpg
    Magnetic Car Phone Holder 2.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Magnetic Car Phone Holder 3.jpg
    Magnetic Car Phone Holder 3.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Magnetic Car Phone Holder 4.jpg
    Magnetic Car Phone Holder 4.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
The “other side” is a small flat piece of metal that can be attached to either the inside or outside of your phone case. I have the plate attached to the outside of my phone case while my wife has hers attached to the inside of her case. As you can see below, my case is multi level so I attached a large plate to the outside. my wife’s phone has a smaller plate attached on the inside of her case. Both of our phones attach and hold solid to this magnetic mount.

Attachments

• 442AE6C5-81A7-4A92-B2BD-C9F90D8E7B31.jpeg
    442AE6C5-81A7-4A92-B2BD-C9F90D8E7B31.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 148
Back