Wheels with "lips" look smaller??? TRUE ?

icemanrulz

:
Mazda 3
I have been reading about wheels... Read a few posts that said wheels with lip(s) look smaller. They look smaller diamiter or with? Help a noob out.

Thanks!

Wheels with a defined lip look smaller. Mine are 17's but have been confused for 16 inchers.
048-1.jpg

A wheel like this... that are 17's might be confused for 18's bacause of the lack of a lip.
297659774_e60f02f752.jpg

The difference is the spokes stop, then there's a lip. On the other wheels the spokes keep going till the edge of the wheel, giving the illusion that it is bigger in size.

Last edited:
Thanks!
That changes everything. By the way thoes are the Konig's right?
Nice, but I like the "bigger look"... Now I have to start over....

Maybe go to 18's, but then lowering becomes a problem. Not to mention the cost of tires too.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Maybe go to 18's, but then lowering becomes a problem. Not to mention the cost of tires too.
Lowering won't be a problem. You can you just still need smaller tires. Thinner. You might sacrifice some comfort and your tires might pop easier but I was thinking of some 18x7.5's and I found the right tire size that I can still lower it on a Eibach Pro-kit.

Maybe a 215 or 225 /40 / 18 ?
Would a 225/45/18 work you think?
I don't know the offset of the rim you're looking at. That could make a difference. For example reasons I used a basic +45 offset, the ones that I'll be getting. Let me know if it's different and I'll find you a new set up.

18x7.5? 215/40-R18 would work beautifully. Depending on the offset. Find a rim you like and let me know.

18x8? You CAN run 215/40-R18's but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be getting fairly small Cross Section Width. I'd run 225/40-R18's. Though it will stick out the fender an extra .7 inches so measure that. It will only fill the wheel wells 3mm so you're fine to lower later.

I have 215 45 18's...They work just fine...My dealership put them on with a CAI and CBE to appeal to to people...Brand new from dealership with warranty..You can't really beat that

I have 215 45 18's...They work just fine...My dealership put them on with a CAI and CBE to appeal to to people...Brand new from dealership with warranty..You can't really beat that
Not really, haha, how much did it run you?

Thanks!

My wheels are Rota SVN and the other wheels are Exel Speed wheels.

went with 18's no lip to speak of 45 offset. Nitto Neo Gen 225/40/18 once on I will post a pic. Gunmetal drag dr33's.

My new question ( I will make a thread later) is what can I do to fill the extra lug nut holes in the rim? (multi pattern rim)

went with 18's no lip to speak of 45 offset. Nitto Neo Gen 225/40/18 once on I will post a pic. Gunmetal drag dr33's.

My new question ( I will make a thread later) is what can I do to fill the extra lug nut holes in the rim? (multi pattern rim)
Oh yeah. I've been looking at rims with the same thing been wondering what to do about it.

In the photos you see these little "studs" with lug nuts on them. NOTHING I have seen. I bet there would not be a way to mount the rim if they were in there.

Latest posts

Back