What's up with reception of the stubby antenna?

russr

:
Mazda6 6i 5-door 2004
On the 2003 Mazda6 the antenna was built into the rear windshield and I heard the reception was fairly decent. On 2004 and 2005 Mazda6, the antenna is now a little stubby externally mounted roof antenna and the reception is worse. What gives? I cannot get decent reception on stations that I have no problems with in other cars.

Any way around this? Is there a replacement antenna I could put that would help?

i agreee.....not only ish da reception not as good..but quite honestly said...it looks kinda gay too....its too big to be placed on da rooof....i saw a compatible atenna that they sell on ebay and its only several inches long...iono bout the reception thing but it'd surely look better lol (naughty)

Well the looks I'm not too concerned about because several other cars like the passat, corolla, audis, etc. have this same roof mounted antenna. The fact that the reception is worse than a windshield antenna blows quite a bit.

Has anyone changed their antenna to an aftermarket one that provides better reception?

I have tried one of the stubby ones from ebay, and found the reception to be worse, so I put the original back on. Too bad, because the stubby one looked pretty good.

That's disappointing, so we have no options then other than to live with the stock antenna and its crappy reception?

how long is your stock one?

i have a stock P5 antenna i could swap with you, i have been thinking of getting a smaller one

mine is about 18 inchs long i would say and all my stations come in fine

but if they are the same thing, no point i suppose:)

NoRotor said:
how long is your stock one?

i have a stock P5 antenna i could swap with you, i have been thinking of getting a smaller one

mine is about 18 inchs long i would say and all my stations come in fine

but if they are the same thing, no point i suppose:)

I would say my stock antenna sounds the same as yours, thanks though.
I really did like the look of the stubby antenna, I just wish the reception was as good. I may be looking into Sirius radio soon anyways, so the antenna issue may become a moot point.

Back