What's a good transmission oil to use on the Mazda5?

Natey

Contributor
Patron
Mazda's OEM M5 oil is what's recommended. M5 is compatible with Mobil1 Full Synthetic fluid, which may be a little cheaper and easy to find.

ATF M-V is what you're looking for. :)

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
In an Automatic, use Mazda Type M5, and ONLY Mazda Type M5. Literally nothing else.

Saving $2/quart on supposed "compatible" atf is a false economy. Just get the stuff that's absolutely guaranteed to work. It's not worth risking a $2800 transmission to save $10.

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
If you have a manual, use Redline MT-90, which is about the only correct 75W-90 GL4 that I know of. The GL-4/GL-5 that most are will damage your synchronizers.

Natey

Contributor
Patron
full-87837-42344-fnr5.png

From here:

Also check out this bottle of tranny fluid. It give you an idea of what's compatible with M-5. Don't fall for branding tricks.

Last edited:
:
2006 Mazda 6 - auto
Any suggestions on a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?
This has been discussed a lot previously. Use search. Here is one link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...ence-on-the-mz5.123824925/page-2#post-6163622

I would suggest the valvoline maxlife - cheap at Walmart. I don't agree with the other poster about OEM, that is what has caused problems previously with our Mazda5, dealer had to replace the tranny under warranty. But it was the first generation tranny (2006). Been using after-market ever since with no issues - but it is not-life time as Mazda would have you believe.