What would you change about your CX-9?

Regarding my wish list posted earlier, I just used a rented 2012 Durango. It has excellent fit and finish, best I've ever seen in a Chrysler/Dodge product. What really impressed me however was the rear backup camera compared to what I now consider to be a POS on my 2010 GT/Nav. I could see the rear view in high definition and without glare. HUGE difference compared to the CX9. Same size screen but much higher resolution.

The other thing that impressed me about the Dodge, other than having pretty similar handling to the CX9 (Mazda still better though the Durango was better than my former ML320) was that the gas mileage was on one tank about 20mpg in combined city/highway. That is about 3mpg better than I get with my CX9.

I have generally liked my CX9 quite a bit but I will be looking at the CX5 when it comes out. I may just trade in the 9 and upgrade the family minivan to handle the occasions when three rows of seats are needed. Would love better gas mileage and close quarters manuverability.

Biggest improvement would be to fuel economy although the laws of physics are at play here. Maybe some skyactiv tech could help a bit for the next CX-9.
Other improvements are nitpicky stuff:
-Better quality paint job (appearance and durability)
-More secure installation of those clips for the 3rd row seatbelts
-Reading lights for second row passengers
-Available of fog lights and side mirror turn indicators on non-GT models
-40/20/40 fold for 2nd row seats

Biggest improvement would be to fuel economy although the laws of physics are at play here. Maybe some skyactiv tech could help a bit for the next CX-9.

Gas engines still have room for improvement.
Take for example, the newest BMW 328i, 2.0L twin turbo boost at 240hp/260ft-lb.
The highway mileage is rated at 36mpg!!!
0-60 in 5.7sec (manual), 5.9sec (auto).

Though I doubt the city mileage will be as impressive, but 36mpg highway is amazing given the output and performance.
My wife Prius can achieve 50mpg, but it reaches 60mph in 11 sec..... if you drive it like you don't care about it.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 GT. I'll had one gripe to all the other:
1. the darn hatch: make it rise another 2 inches higher, I keep clonking my head on the thing when I'm putting groceries or luggage in and out, and I'm "only" 5' 11"

I have a 2008 GT. I'll had one gripe to all the other:
1. the darn hatch: make it rise another 2 inches higher, I keep clonking my head on the thing when I'm putting groceries or luggage in and out, and I'm "only" 5' 11"

It could be worse :)

Tesla previewed the Model X in Los Angeles, and the highlight of the new vehicle was not the electric power train, but innovative folding side doors

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_...-drive-and-crazy-folding-doors/#ixzz1mcQbmZXM

ModelX_promo_610x459.JPG

We took delivery of our 2012 Grand Touring CX-9 two weeks ago. Overall, very happy (although my wife is the primary driver). At this point, the one thing I would change is the Bose Stereo. Pretty average sounding for the price...

Auto locking doow is already on your CX-9, i had to program it and it works flawlessly for me

I'd rather have sensors than a back up camera. How can you back correctly, ie, the proper way of looking back with your upper torso turned to the right and back, eyes to the rear scanning in 4 directions and still look at a screen? makes no sense. My 2007 Ford Escape hybrid had sensors only as did my 2007 VW Passat. That was enough for me. If you are too frail to look behind you and NEED a screen to rely on, you shouldn't be driving. Plus it's just a Camera with no sensors. Misguided technology.

WHAT WOULD I CHANGE ABOUT MY CX-9??

I would burn this damn 2012 "stripped out" AWD GT WITH TECH PKG AND RES model and get another 2009!

2009 CX-9
Needed Autolocks and better NAV, my only gripes.

2012 CX-9 - not enough room here to complain about!
INDIRECT BLUE LIGHTING - GONE!
ELECTROLUMINSCENT GAUGES - GONE!, replaced with grey rings!
Split door Center Console - Who's sick joke was that?
Handling - more work for less control.
20" RIMS look like "Girl Scout Cookies"
NAV is still a problem, sends me across the USA and back for a 4 block trip to the local supermarket and that's the quick route!
Front Fascia - too much black plastic, looks like an idiot staring back at me with a rictus grin.
Black Interior - Boring at best. Just monotone!
Headlights are two small round beams, I miss the 2009's! They were great to blind the moron doing 35mph in the left lane :)
GAS Guzzler!

Too bad for me that Mazda did not have the 2012 CX-9 in the showroom, otherwise I NEVER would have bought it. Still contemplating on what torture to inflict on my husband for insisting on the Liquid Sliver with Black interior- UGH!! I miss my Blue Stormy Mica with Sand interior :(

WHAT WOULD I CHANGE ABOUT MY CX-9??

I would burn this damn 2012 "stripped out" AWD GT WITH TECH PKG AND RES model and get another 2009!

2009 CX-9
Needed Autolocks and better NAV, my only gripes.

2012 CX-9 - not enough room here to complain about!
INDIRECT BLUE LIGHTING - GONE!
ELECTROLUMINSCENT GAUGES - GONE!, replaced with grey rings!
Split door Center Console - Who's sick joke was that?
Handling - more work for less control.
20" RIMS look like "Girl Scout Cookies"
NAV is still a problem, sends me across the USA and back for a 4 block trip to the local supermarket and that's the quick route!
Front Fascia - too much black plastic, looks like an idiot staring back at me with a rictus grin.
Black Interior - Boring at best. Just monotone!
Headlights are two small round beams, I miss the 2009's! They were great to blind the moron doing 35mph in the left lane :)
GAS Guzzler!

Too bad for me that Mazda did not have the 2012 CX-9 in the showroom, otherwise I NEVER would have bought it. Still contemplating on what torture to inflict on my husband for insisting on the Liquid Sliver with Black interior- UGH!! I miss my Blue Stormy Mica with Sand interior :(

You certainly make me feel a little better about buying my used 08, instead of springing for a new 2011. Sorry to hear that so many things have changed for the worse.

Hopefully they fix these issues in the 2nd gen.

You certainly make me feel a little better about buying my used 08, instead of springing for a new 2011. Sorry to hear that so many things have changed for the worse.

Hopefully they fix these issues in the 2nd gen.

+1

I also thought it was just me that preferred the old fascia better than the new wide grinning one.

The reasons I went with a '12 instead of a '09 or '10 was price. I had a good trade, owned it outright. I got the '12 at 0%, an older one would have run 3-5%. Plus The only low mile used one I could find in a 200 mile radius was a rental car and they wanted too much. The used ones I did look at, and there are not many, had kid abuse and I'm not paying for a car that looked like there was a cage match in the back.

I'm way ahead of the depreciation curve and I hope the next gen looks better and has more features, better MPG and better NAV.

I like the '12 but I am not in love with it.

I thought autolocking of doors is programmable? I opted to have mine not to autolock, as I can't stand it. One thing I really wish for my CX9 is better gas mileage. I'd be happy if I averaged 19-20mpg combo hwy/city. Currently, I only average 16ish mpg.

LOVE MY CX-9.

What I would change...

-- why aren't the turn signal stems/stalks backlit?

-- why isn't there a dash icon/symbol for the fog lights when they're lit?

-- would love to have the passenger side mirror tilt when backing up

-- an upgrade to the NAV would be nice

-- backup sensors would be good to go with the rear view camera

All the above were in my previous car...a Cadillac CTS...guess a tad spoiled for those "nice to haves." But again, LOVE LOVE LOVE my CX-9 and would get another in a minute.

I guess some of this are not much realistic, but are present in other SUVs (not all of them). So... is like a christmas list
  • Memory position for the mirrors linked with the seat positions
  • Better Nav System, currently is bad
  • Power outlets for 2nd and third row
  • 110 Volts inverter
  • iPod connection
  • Bigger Address Book Memory and better ability to manage it
  • Front and back parking sensors
  • better computer with User enable choices. My VW, even the older, allow me to check it better and program it with a very affordable VAG cable
  • more choices on the trip computer
  • posibility of close all windows from outside using the remote control, not only from the door
  • cargo area latches for dog's fence (German cars have them, and is great because you don't have to deteriorate your ceiling)
  • Cargo area cover for powered back door
  • better Airfilter media. current, barely get dust.

I forgot to add one to my list: make sure that the next gen model retains the same low angled front windshield. Why? I love seeing people bonk their heads on the A-pillar when trying to get into the car. Happens every single time. It happened to my wife and I when we first got the car, but obviously you learn to tilt your head back a little more when getting in.

Ambient lighting
The ability to have more than one programmable key in the vehicle at one time. I have to leave mine at home when my wife drives and visa versa.
Handsfree mic that works

Weird... My 2010 GT works just fine with 2 keys inside.
I totally agree with those pointing out the paint, it's just horrible. Not being able to play with Nav when the car is moving is driving me nuts.

I'm actually glad we didn't get the NAV. Not having it forced me to use my phone, which can be used in motion and is a much better system in it anyway :)

Back