What to clean with? Interior and Exterior

levets

:
Mazda 3
After a little online reading, I bought some Meguiar's wipes for the interior of the car.

I got the Quik Interior Detailer wipes - got these because there were already a few foot scuffs on the interior driver door where the speaker is as well as just general dust collecting and a little something on the passenger seat. It did great with all of these. The one thing I didn't use it on yet was the Nav screen. I also haven't let my wife drive the car but I did have to drive her somewhere. Makeup crap all over the passenger side door. So I wiped that down and it worked great.

The only complaint I have is that they're really wet when they come out and seem to dry very quickly, but any of the smooth black plastic I use them on it more or less beads up and has to be dried with something else.

What's the general thought on the use of these wipes as a general all-purpose "smudge" remover (smudges being anything sitting on the surface of an interior surface)?

Good for Nav screen?

Something better out there?

I thought about getting some "Wet Ones" or even some kind of baby wipes just to do general dusting inside, or, unless a rogue sip of drink or god forbid other disaster happens (no food is allowed in the car, and bottled drinks with a cap only!). I wanted something like this also to wipe MY hands down (or shoes) when I get in, especially after pumping gas - a general hand-cleaner but maybe also something I could use on the interior??? Obviously the Mequiar's is not cost effective for hand cleaning and not made for it.

I also bought the Supreme Shine Protectant wipes. I got these primarily for the Dash and the upward-facing parts of the door sill as it's supposed to include a UV blocker. It's also got scotchguard in it. It does say "glossy" finish type which I'm OK with for the Dash, especially if it helps extend the life of the dash peeling/cracking (I have a visor too and park inside a garage all day at work). I haven't used these yet.

BTW, the interior is black.

Am I good with these?

As for the exterior of the car, I just washed it yesterday for the first time. I used Dawn dishwashing/hand soap liquid and a plain white T-Shirt. What happened was, I had some mud splatter and it was a light-colored, almost like concrete mud, so I decided to rinse down the car. It also had "dust" on the lower half. I thought I'd just rinse it with water - no go. Grabbed the T-Shirt to wipe of the mud - that worked, but the "dust" turned out to be more like "grime" and I ended up just smearing it around, so what was going to be just a quick rinse turned into a quick wash while I basted the turkey every 15 minutes!

So, what to wash with? Anything to help keep water beading up, or should I go for traditional wash and wax? Be it known, I have never waxed a car in my life. I'm not the type who spends an entire Saturday detailing one's car, so I need something one-and-done - I can do something quick while/after washing. I will admit though, I vacuumed out the car already (usually I would wait years) and washed it much sooner than I would have, so I'm getting slightly more obsessiveness (and then there's the wipes above!). My previous car I just pretty much "let be" (and luckily it has been and continues to be an amazing car).

I think the black interior doesn't help as it shows every speck of dust and piece of leaf (fall here) tracked in.

I know I should probably get a chamois and all that, but really, what does one *really* need - for example, there was a Meguiar's "Kit" at the store which seemed like a good deal, but it had tire shine, which I'll never use, and no kinds of wipes, which is why I bought the singles. So if I can get by with stuff I already have around the house for exterior washing, I'm cool (aside from something that does the waxing for me too!).

Finally, what's the consensus about Rain-X for the windows/mirrors? I've used it a lot in the past - it seems once your windshield gets too old it doesn't "seal" as well (maybe too many microscopic pock marks) but on a new windshield I could drive in the rain without even turning on the wipers (which saved me once years ago when a wiper motor went bad!).

TIA

Steve

This is what I use:
Interior plastic: Armour All non-glossy wipes. The latest container says that the wipes won't dry up inside - an issue I had with the first one I bought about a year ago.
Seats: If fabric, I use Tuff Stuff - smells great and works fairly well.
Leather: Connolly leather cleaner followed by Zaino Leather in a bottle (smells exactly like leather)
Exterior: I very seldom let the exterior get really dirty, since I use a car cover at work and a garage any other time except for an hour at the gym. When I come home, I use a California Duster - very light pressure. Once a week, I use 3D waterless car wash with two microfiber cloths (I bought a large bag of them at Costco).
Procedure: When the car is cool to the touch, spray 3D on one section at a time and gently wipe off the liquid part (leave the remaining film for now). Start with the upper side and back of the car and follow with the hood, roof, and finally, the lower sections. If the towels are getting very dirty, use both sides and then replace with a clean one.
Once you are done, you can spray the wheels or if they don't look too dirty, continue on with the buffing step.
Buffing: With a clean microfiber towel, buff the first section so that the film/haze is removed. Repeat for the other sections. My Mazda 3 takes me about 15 minutes without the wheels and 5 minutes or less longer for the wheels. That's a HUGE time savings compared to having to wash and dry, and your added benefit is having a coating of 3D that is similar to wax - great shine.

I use a type of mini duster for removing dust on the interior plastic sections.
Glossy Armour All is used for weatherstripping and hoses.

When I can't use the car cover, I use an interior (folding) windshield cover to protect the dash and infotainment pod from UV rays.

I used to use RainX but it developed a film on the windshield that was tough to remove.

Back