What new Mazda is coming?

Subaru's recent changes have accented a "plush" ride that is better than some luxury vehicles' ride. For those who drive in snow country areas, pot holes and resulting very rough roads play a big part in their choice of vehicle. Mazda has realized that in order to be considered upscale and benefit from attributes associated with more expensive vehicles, it had to soften the ride and quiet the interior to go along with cosmetic improvements.

Lol I hate how my buddies outback rides! Feels like old school Buick to me

If you go to their desktop sites, you will see about half of those are in transit which means inbound from Japan. Not on their lot. The others would be on the ground and several, if not all, have a stop sale until new power steering racks arrive. If not for the stop sale, they would probably be gone, especially in upstate NY.

Id call them to see whats actually available.

A buddy of mine is a GM at a Subaru Dealer.

You said it right there some people. Not very many. Which is why the CX-3 sells in such small numbers.

As the owner of a CX-9, and several other Mazdas over the years, I appreciate their direction towards rewarding driving dynamics, but lately they seem to be sacrificing a lot of usability for design proportions. That eliminates many buyers right off the bat. I wish they did a little more with function.
CX3 is selling well in EU, though not so much in NA.
Diff markets, diff preference.

The M hybrid is their mild hybrid system.
Mazdas take on conserving fuel/ increasing mpg. Not sure what their take is. Could be gen 2.0 of their current I-eloop system.

The M hybrid is their mild hybrid system.
Mazda*s take on conserving fuel/ increasing mpg. Not sure what their take is. Could be gen 2.0 of their current I-eloop system.

The vid does mention "electric motor that assists the engine" and "lithium-ion battery mounted between the wheels." I guess someone already mentioned this in this thread I'm assuming.

If a new model is needed in Mazda's lineup in the US, a two-row, comfy, mid-sized SUV should be it.
I began a discussion about this. Here is one of the posts:

The 2019 Consumer Reports Auto Issue is out now.
Their mid-sized SUV category is now officially split into 'three row' and 'two row.
#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent, the CX 9 was sixth, just ahead of the Pilot.

#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe, followed by the Ford Edge, and Nissan Murano, Jeep GC.
Some have suggested Mazda needs to fill that hole.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123867437-Should-Mazda-consider-a-4-or-5-seater-CX-9

I suggest interior changes for that basic 2-row 9 but if they could work some more Mazda Magic to first, reduce weight significantly,
then spec better suspension, tires, and brakes, and finally, if there is any tweaking left to be done on that fine Turbo 4, do it.
You still wouldn't be able to run down that X5 or Macan but most other 4 cylinder mid-sized SUVs would be left in the dust.

If a new model is needed in Mazda's lineup in the US, a two-row, comfy, mid-sized SUV should be it.
I began a discussion about this. Here is one of the posts:

The 2019 Consumer Reports Auto Issue is out now.
Their mid-sized SUV category is now officially split into 'three row' and 'two row.
#1 in 3 row was the new Subaru Ascent, the CX 9 was sixth, just ahead of the Pilot.

#1 in 2 row was the new Hyundai Santa Fe, followed by the Ford Edge, and Nissan Murano, Jeep GC.
Some have suggested Mazda needs to fill that hole.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123867437-Should-Mazda-consider-a-4-or-5-seater-CX-9

I suggest interior changes for that basic 2-row 9 but if they could work some more Mazda Magic to first, reduce weight significantly,
then spec better suspension, tires, and brakes, and finally, if there is any tweaking left to be done on that fine Turbo 4, do it.
You still wouldn't be able to run down that X5 or Macan but most other 4 cylinder mid-sized SUVs would be left in the dust.

Im with you. I would buy it. I have my eye on the CX-9 but have no need for the 3rd row.

Predictions on whether the CX-5 gets the new 8* Navi screen before the next FMC? And what is the Mazda cycle? New model every five years? Or six?

Predictions on whether the CX-5 gets the new 8* Navi screen before the next FMC? And what is the Mazda cycle? New model every five years? Or six?

The Mazda model cycle seems to be pretty flexible, based on need (all years are MY, not calendar):
Gen 1 CX-5: 4.5 years (2013-2016.5, MCA for 2016)
Gen 3 Mazda3: 5 years (2014-2018, MCA for 2017)
Gen 3 Mazda6: 6+ years (2013-present, MCA for 2018)

Since the compact crossover segment is at full-boil and the CX-5 is Mazda's highest-volume seller, I suspect that they'll unveil the 3rd generation model for 2021, which also tracks with Mazda's recent strategy of doing an MCA (which the GT-R/Signature models seem to be) two years before a new generation.

The first-gen Mazda Connect launched with the Gen 3 Mazda3 in MY 2014, and both the Mazda6 and CX-5 got that system two full model years later, in 2016. I think history is likely to repeat itself, especially since this timeline would match up with a Gen3 CX-5 for the same model year.

I predict they'll get the 8" nav screen next year. Why? Because I think the current dashboard design allows them to easily add the larger screen without a major redesign. Similar to how they changed the climate controls for 2019. My guess is that the only reason it wasn't on the 2019's is because they wanted it to debut at the Mazda3 reveal.

The prospect for a new screen next year is the only thing holding me back from buying a new CX-5 today, to be honest. Infotainment goes out of date fast enough as it is, so I hate the idea of dropping $36k on a car with a circa 2014 screen.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/mazdausa/status/1102995508837183489?s=21

https://youtu.be/ihgQLrNwDfc

34c9950176b5e713d31ac208cdd55eda.jpg

cd62cb363c177ec1c80f752de1154fe3.jpg

https://www.motortrend.com/news/refreshing-revolting-mazda-cx-30-vs-mazda-cx-3/

Last edited:
I predict they'll get the 8" nav screen next year. Why? Because I think the current dashboard design allows them to easily add the larger screen without a major redesign. Similar to how they changed the climate controls for 2019. My guess is that the only reason it wasn't on the 2019's is because they wanted it to debut at the Mazda3 reveal.

The prospect for a new screen next year is the only thing holding me back from buying a new CX-5 today, to be honest. Infotainment goes out of date fast enough as it is, so I hate the idea of dropping $36k on a car with a circa 2014 screen.

I'm with you on this.... Hoping since it's in the 3 and the cx30 that all '20 models will have it as well

Back