What lubes do you use on your brakes?

Below is what I've been using, I'd like to know what you guys use :)

• Slide pins: Brake lube (aka rubber grease)
  • Back of pads: Permatex Disk brake quiet
  • Pad slides: High temp copper anti-seize lube

I'm wondering if there's any point in using anything on the backs of the pads, I didn't use anything for one of my rear sets of pads and haven't noticed any noise but I could have just gotten lucky...

Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube on pretty much the whole assembly. For how cheap brake lube is, even if it has the smallest benefit, I still put it on the back of the pads.

The only thing I've ever put on is the slider pins never the backs of the pads. I've never had premature wear or squeaking from decent pads or rotors. Does greasing the backs of the pads do anything?

The idea would be to prevent squeaking. That thin layer of grease will dampen the high frequency vibrations from between the pad and rotor. Most good pads have shims that do the same thing though.

products_astroglide.jpg

The pad slides and the slide pins are all I've ever put anything on. I have been told to put it on the back of the pad at auto zone, but it still makes no sense to me because there really isn't any movement there other than a vibration.

The pad slides and the slide pins are all I've ever put anything on. I have been told to put it on the back of the pad at auto zone, but it still makes no sense to me because there really isn't any movement there other than a vibration.

My guess is that if the caliper vibrates at a different frequency than the brake pads, and against the hard metal backing plate of the brake pads, then brake squeal ensues. (Picture the caliper and the brake pad metal backing plate slapping into each other at a microscopic level, and at very high frequency.)

Metal shims made of softer metal material than the caliper and/or the pad's metal backing plate dampen this vibration, helping to eliminate this kind of brake squealing. Most quality brake pads include these shims, but some do not.

Lightly greasing the backing plate achieves the same result as the shims, by creating a thin layer of lubricant between caliper and brake pad backing plate.

I hope this helps...

Enrique

As to the original posting:
I also use the Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube on the sliding pins, pad slides, and backing plate (even with shims.)

No squealing noises, but recently, the lube ended up drying out and hardening inside the lower sliding pin on my right rear caliper. The caliper was almost seized against that slider pin, and I ended up with a slanted, stuck caliper, a half-glazed pad, and a slightly scored brake rotor. This is the first time this has happened to me, after multiple brake jobs on my Miata and P5.
(Last brake job was about 10k miles ago, late last year, with new rotors -blanks- and OEM pads.)

I cleaned up the caliper pins and sliding holes (?), and re-lubed them. I am not sure where I messed up: I suspect I did not use enough grease, or left too much old grease/gunk in the caliper/pins. The other three corners are working fine. I strongly suspect operator error (i.e. I messed up.) But I'll keep an eye out and see if this kind of grease fails on me (unlikely.)

Cheers,

enrique

Latest posts

Back