What have you done to your P5 today?

Not today, but recent. I swapped all my cloth for leather. $150 (give or take) out the door from Pick-n-pull.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_171349.jpg
    IMG_20200621_171349.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 175
Washed and Waxed my 2k3 P5 yesterday. I also clay barred the foot just to see the difference. This is probably the first time in the car's life that was done to it. Night and day difference.

Bought new tires and a general refresh of the car interior before doing fluid changes tomorrow.

Went a local Pick N Pull today and found an exact P5.

Pulled off the Side Skirt, Shift Knob, Fob Light Assembly, and took everything from the Fuse box.

'fixed' the keyless entry Keyfob.

More work needs to be done in order to make this car last 300k

Fun fact, factory Toyota Rav4 spotlights are exactly the same unit as P5 foglights, just with yellow glass!

Found and installed foglights on the daily driver P5, looking forward to testing them out now!

Fun fact, factory Toyota Rav4 spotlights are exactly the same unit as P5 foglights, just with yellow glass!

Found and installed foglights on the daily driver P5, looking forward to testing them out now!

Okay you've got my full attention. Been looking for a replacement for my lame P5 foglights. How is the light output compared to the stock lights? Mind sharing what make and model RAV4 they were off of? I believe you're not from the US(?), so I'm hoping the USDM RAV4's also have the same lights so I don't have to jump through hoops to get some.

Thanks!

Okay you've got my full attention. Been looking for a replacement for my lame P5 foglights. How is the light output compared to the stock lights? Mind sharing what make and model RAV4 they were off of? I believe you're not from the US(?), so I'm hoping the USDM RAV4's also have the same lights so I don't have to jump through hoops to get some.

Thanks!

This is a bit of a guess as they weren't actually attached to a vehicle when I found them! But I think they're first gen Rav4 accessory, they could be a Caldina or another Toyota of that era. They came with some sweet Toyota stone guards that unfortunately don't fit the mazda lol

20200712_120133.jpg

Light output is still to be tested, apparently yellow cuts through fog better so I'll test that on Monday morning's drive to work!

Cannot be Rav4 fogs. Rav4 fogs are not 100% round, they're slightly oval. And the mountings are completely different to the BJII fogs.

Can you read any markings on the lens? Might give a clue if they're factory or aftermarket.

Thanks!
I upgraded to LED's, they switch from 6000k to Yellow. I'll try to dig up my photos later. I had to modify the housing to fit the heatsink...

Cannot be Rav4 fogs. Rav4 fogs are not 100% round, they're slightly oval. And the mountings are completely different to the BJII fogs.

Can you read any markings on the lens? Might give a clue if they're factory or aftermarket.

Well there goes that theory lol, Thanks Jazzy.

Markings on the lights are an exact match for the P5 lights, KOITO 114-76370, and a with bit of googling it looks like they're from a 4WD Carib/ Sprinter.

toyota-sprinter-carib-4wd-01.jpg

Light output is the same as factory, just yellow. I'd definitely go LED for maximum brightness

I upgraded to LED's, they switch from 6000k to Yellow. I'll try to dig up my photos later. I had to modify the housing to fit the heatsink...

Interesting, I would be curious to know how you did that. I've got some Hella 100W bulbs in my foglights but they still aren't as bright as LEDs, and they put a lot of stress on my alternator.

Replaced my alternator like about 3 weeks ago. I still have a slight squeal when I turn it on but not quite sure how to know if it's something I can do to fix that.

Also had a couple gaskets replaced that I was told was creating a vacuum leak. I had my P5 just completely die on me a few times (before getting this done) while I was driving. When I stepped on the gas pedal, nothing like no reaction whatsoever; just a steady decline of speed then the lights would come on same as when you turn the key in the ignition.

Replaced my alternator like about 3 weeks ago. I still have a slight squeal when I turn it on but not quite sure how to know if it's something I can do to fix that.

Yeah, you just tighten your belt.

But, ... If you tighten your belt too much, you stress the alternator bearing, then that starts to squeal, then you need a new alternator.

I went through 4 alternators when the mechanics tightened the hell out of the belt.

A good rule of thumb is to reach in from the top and twist the belt in the middle between the two top pulleys.

If you can't turn the belt 90° (stand it in edge.), it's too tight.

If you can flip it past upside down, it's too loose.

Right in between is the sweet spot.

Keeping this thread alive!!

Swapped out the solenoid over the weekend and cleared the code. Fingers crossed that this will do the trick!

A P5 showed up at my local pick and pull and I took some extra parts that may need to be replaced later down the road.

Hopefully one day I'll find a blue one with non rusted doors that I can salvage.

Google did this gif for me..

Here are some regular pics. 2+ years and no issues yet. Sorry it took a month for me to finally get around to finding pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_115122.jpg
    IMG_20180520_115122.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20180520_180522.jpg
    IMG_20180520_180522.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20180520_180540.jpg
    IMG_20180520_180540.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Pulled the center console out of the daily to fix the intermittent shifter lights and gave it a deep clean while there was access. Scored a new lighter, a handful of hair clips and some very old fries lol. No coins unfortunately :(

Back