What have you done to your P5 today?

I'd be afraid to do it because I know I'd forget to put it in neutral before starting it and my car would run me over then drive into the side of my house. Lol
I always check if it's in neutral, like two or three times before starting. However, I've made the mistake a couple of times as I'm an inexperienced driver, lucky nothing bad has happened

Edit: I forget to say, that actually after my previous response a familiar found a new switch and I should be able to install it today or tomorrow and see how it goes

I remember going to test drive a car about 35 years ago.

I forgot to push the clutch in before starting it.

It jumped the curb and luckily stalled on the sidewalk in front of me.

I didn't buy the car.
Somebody damaged it. Lol

:ROFLMAO: I think with manual this is one of the main concerns when learning to drive.

My shifter was 'loose' and did a lot of noise when going above 50 Km/h. As the car needed some brake work, a cousin recommended me to change these green pieces
palanca-de-cambios-kit-de-bujes.jpg
(idk how it's called in english; image for reference) and now the shifter feels awesome but is weird at the same time when I check if the car is in neutral

No s*** !!!

My shifter is so sloppy that it wobbles as much in neutral as it does in gear.

I might check my shifter 3 times before starting it but it's still in gear.

Those bushings are a great idea, and they're cheap.

I made my own bushings but they didn't last.

I didn't want to spend $50 for those bronze, oil impregnated bushings.

Interestingly,...
As sloppy as my shifter is, I never miss a gear while I'm driving.

If I'm shifting from second to third, it just floats right in.

If I screw up and go for 5th, it grinds.

The syncromesh gears keep the third gears spun up so they mesh.

If I don't drive my car like a race car, slamming gears, I can feel the missed gear without damaging my gearbox.

Same with reverse...
There is a special pin or something in the gearbox that won't let you get into reverse unless the car is stopped.

It's a PITA so I just find reverse gently and reclutch again if it won't go in.

I don't slam the shifter.

I want my car to last forever.
It's 20 years old now, it qualifies for cheaper "classic car" insurance.

I still love my car even though it's a rusty turd. Lol

Ya know, this really sucks..

I can't get the damn bulb in there without touching it. I can't even hold the bulb and reach it in there.

I have to hold the bulb with a pliers so it keeps getting dirty up on its way in...

What kind of magic contortionist would it take to replace a bulb on the side of the road, in winter, at night?

(idk how it's called in english; image for reference) and now the shifter feels awesome but is weird at the same time when I check if the car is in neutral
They're called bushings, for future reference! :)

I actually rear-ended my own Pro5 one winter with my Subaru as the clutch switch didn't work/was bypassed. Luckily the Protege was just bumped forward since I stored it with the ebrake off and in neutral :D

What kind of magic contortionist would it take to replace a bulb on the side of the road, in winter, at night?

Needs more Mr. Meeseeks ;)

I think I'd take "rely on the dim high-beam to get me back home" at that point. At least it's serviceable? 🙄 Modern LED lamp goes bad? There goes your first born lol

Reactions: pcb
I don't slam the shifter.

I want my car to last forever.
It's 20 years old now, it qualifies for cheaper "classic car" insurance.

I still love my car even though it's a rusty turd. Lol
I screwed up my transmission by shifting hard, and now it makes a lovely grinding noise if I don't rev it high enough. Still love the little sh*tbox, and thinking about getting another one (Or a Speed model) once mine finally kicks the bucket!

I screwed up my transmission by shifting hard, and now it makes a lovely grinding noise if I don't rev it high enough. Still love the little sh*tbox, and thinking about getting another one (Or a Speed model) once mine finally kicks the bucket!

You could try syncromesh oil in your transmission.
It may help.

My car used to grind every gear in the winter until the car warmed up after about 15 minutes.

I was too cheap to spend $20 a liter on syncromesh oil, so I used ATF type F. (F standing for friction modified, or Ford)

My 1982 Mazda GLC recommended ATF type F in my standard transmission in cold weather, so I thought I'd try it.

It's been in my transmission now for about 10 years and my car shifts fine.

But I don't drive the living snot out of my car. Lol

From a few weeks ago when it snowed (and then freezing rain) in Portland. This car is already on snow tires and couldn’t go anywhere. Then I put on these snow socks and it was unstoppable!

replaced the battery in my MSP and trying to psych myself up for doing motor mounts in both cars.

but I should really be finishing the engine conversion in my Miata

Hello fellow Oregonian!
You certainly have a nice selection of good looking Mazdas, especially that MSP. Definitely intrigued by your Miata...not an expert on Nissan motors, but that looks like an SR20? Seems like it's always a K-swap with Miatas, but an SR makes a ton of sense actually now that I think of it.

Those are KYB GR2's
Those look fairly new. Did you just install them or were they already on there? What do you think of the ride height/quality with the springs?

For what it's worth, after doing some research on KYB offerings in the past, I came to learn that the GR2 line is (allegedly) functionally identical to the Excel-G line which is available from RockAuto for what I believe is a reasonable price ($155 after $25 rebate).

[Source]

I'd be afraid to do it because I know I'd forget to put it in neutral before starting it and my car would run me over then drive into the side of my house. Lol
Oh me too, especially for the longest time my parking brake didnt work and I always parked in gear. Ive since fixed the brakes and always park in neutral as long as I am on a relatively flat surface

Back