What have you done to your P5 today?

Finally got my go kart back! I mean, Mazda Protege5! And wow, is a new clutch a world of difference. The clutch takes basically 0 effort to push in, the gates feel loose, and it doesn't feel like the car I'm used to at all. But anyways, here's my old clutch and everything in it so you guys can see how bad I roasted it! 🤣
woof! That is a worn ass clutch! Mine is still the original at 259k miles. Still plenty grabby some how

woof! That is a worn ass clutch! Mine is still the original at 259k miles. Still plenty grabby some how
She's lived a hard life, I'm the 7th owner and I learned to drive on that clutch, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But she feels oh so much smoother to engage now, it's like a night and day difference. Might actually get a short throw shifter installed, since the shift gates feel pretty loose now and not crunchy at all, like they felt before!

She's lived a hard life, I'm the 7th owner and I learned to drive on that clutch, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But she feels oh so much smoother to engage now, it's like a night and day difference. Might actually get a short throw shifter installed, since the shift gates feel pretty loose now and not crunchy at all, like they felt before!
oh def get a short shifter. My tdi is all flowly and while nice to drive, getting into the p5 and feeling my twm just feels insane. No throw/travel, very tight. Debating getting a short throw in the jetta but eh, I like this car being softer

Pro tip, when the charge light comes on the dash, don't be like me and ignore it! The car was starting and driving fine. Until 10pm last night....

Dead alternator :(

20210216_172246.jpg

Luckily my Sisters partner works at a wreckers and dropped off a good second hand unit today, swapped it over in about 2 hours after work.

Next pro tip, drop the exhaust to get the alternator out from underneath, it saves a whole bunch of wriggling and swearing trying to get the thing out.

Pro tip, when the charge light comes on the dash, don't be like me and ignore it! The car was starting and driving fine. Until 10pm last night....

View attachment 295447

Luckily my Sisters partner works at a wreckers and dropped off a good second hand unit today, swapped it over in about 2 hours after work.

Next pro tip, drop the exhaust to get the alternator out from underneath, it saves a whole bunch of wriggling and swearing trying to get the thing out.
Pro tip: Keep a charged booster pack in your trunk for situations like that. It also helps whenever you need to jump someone but you dont wanna pop your hood and hook up the cables and go through the whole shebang.

View attachment 295447

you make it sound like my rusty ass exhaust would ever come off! I was forced to go out the top :(. Amazed it came out though

Snapped a pic while filling up. I love taking pics when its wet cause it hides most of the paint issues.

Shes still making a rattle that is pissing me off, so I think it's time for an oil change.
Screenshot_20210216-160012_Gallery.jpg

Makes me miss my p5.

IMG_0156-X2.jpg
I love mine, I just hate the shape that it's in. A million things don't ******* work, it's got rust, paint issues, rattles and squeaks like nothing else I've ever ridden in, and according to the market, it is definitely not worth fixing up. I wish it was a little bit nicer. But, everytime I think "Yeah, I'm gonna get rid of it and get myself a nicer one" I look out my window into my parking lot and see it just happily starring at me, waiting for me to come back and drive it again.

It's a great car. Mine didn't have rust and 90% of everything worked. It did have it's fair share of dents and dings and the interior carpet could stand to be replaced since it was kind of abused by the previous owner(s). I do look at my work log for it from time to time lol

I love mine, I just hate the shape that it's in. A million things don't ******* work, it's got rust, paint issues, rattles and squeaks like nothing else I've ever ridden in, and according to the market, it is definitely not worth fixing up. I wish it was a little bit nicer. But, everytime I think "Yeah, I'm gonna get rid of it and get myself a nicer one" I look out my window into my parking lot and see it just happily starring at me, waiting for me to come back and drive it again.

Thats why I keep mine around! Owes me nothing, costs nothing to keep around, and right now it's great back up transportation for the winter months. Even covered in rust it still looks great

Just adjusted my led headlights just now. I initially adjusted it to low and now shines the road just right.

My Tein H.Techs arrived earlier this week and just ordered all the suspension bits from Rock Auto.

Went to the junkyard today. I was looking for rear door cards for my P5 but the one in the yard is at worse condition than mine. I did find an 06 Mazda6 so I went ahead and picked its front calipers and the wiper stalk as well.

20210220_124130.jpg

I would hazard a guess the difficulty in removing the alt may have had a bit to do with the RHD versus LHD aspect??

I managed to pull mine out from the top in the past, but that required removal of the strut tower brace and popping the charcoal canister off the firewall. A squeeze for sure, but an option for LHD owners.

I have been eagerly awaiting the spring when I can pull mine out onto the road to give 'er the beans again. She was started up a month or so ago and transmission sound seems to have gone away. It's either a self-tolerancing thing or it may require more investigation. Still wondering what this summer will hold as far as my involvement in motorsports is concerned. I'd like to take it to local events for sure, and maybe an Ohio SCCA event at Toldeo if the timing is right...

Back