What have you done to your P5 today?

31N007

31N007
:
Mazda Protege5
YASSSSS!!! That thread, and your saved photo is fantastic!

I put this together based on some values on that sheet and what I have measured/put together based on a friend's thread from another forum. It's helped me to get an idea of how to set up my car for when I next pick up a set of struts/springs. I MASSIVELY assumed the diameters of the stock bars, as they are noted, as well as the effective springrate based on a diagram someone posted.

Simple Rates.png

This is with weight of my particular car before the KL swap, so I'm really waiting to get the car on corner scales before I decide on what to go with for autocross. Also, the hulking size of the rear swaybar is impacting the front roll bias in my case.

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Dunno where mine lands on the chart but has Tokico Illuminas, Espelir rears and not sure which fronts, Tein-S or Espelir. Has factory sway in front, Progress 22mm rr sway, full load of GT Spec chassis bracing and STB fr and rr. No hatch cage but everything else including trailing arms. It definitely feels firmer with the Espelirs and dampening set on 4 on the Illuminas. May come back down to 3 on that. Doing fronts tomorrow and will see if Tein = 1.8 drop or 1.5 and also see what the Espelir does which I expect to be 1.5. I would like to get 1.8 drop up front to keep rake where it is but have better spring rate than the beat up 15 yr old Maxspeeds in there now. I can afford .25 less drop up front from where it is sitting now but no more. My rear wheel arches are at 24" with Espelirs and fronts with Maxspeeds still in them are at 23.5". Really like to keep it pretty close to how it is sitting now. Fun pics from today...more coming from doing fronts tomorrow.................

20200408_130336.jpg
20200408_130448.jpg

Fresh and clean, ready for another decade of cement surfing. Goodridge ss braided brake lines holding up nicely........................dunno why pics twisted sideways.

31N007

31N007
:
Mazda Protege5
Fresh and clean, ready for another decade of cement surfing. Goodridge ss braided brake lines holding up nicely........................dunno why pics twisted sideways.
Obligatory: Strutting your stuff! I love new parts and am quite jealous of how clean things look under there. Would like to get my hands on another rear strut tower bar. I had an old Corksport one but sold it a little while back... And the front tower bar doesn't clear the Milly intake manifold, so I've got to junkyard hack-and-slash one for future modification.

If you're pulling photos from your Google Photos cloud, it has a tendency to rotate them sideways for some reason. I've run into that quite a few times now...

I'm trying to put together a pretty "easy" sheet that's rather well worked out regarding what to change, and what to leave alone. Obviously not going to lock cells and the likes, but would like to make it to where, when the time comes I can measure up a mate's Contour suspension and see what gives with that thing!

Pondering why there are holes in my battleship! (from a previous owner, I'm going to figure out how to seal them soon. Two on the driver's taillamp, two in the filler cap area, two in the hatch lid around the window, and then the two holes for the "guide" on the taillamps are wallowed out. This car has lived a strange life. But it's otherwise pretty well free of rust!

IMG_20200407_154319.jpg IMG_20200407_154325.jpg

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
I have a rear STB that I was using before I scored the GT Spec one. It was for MX-6 and fit perfectly. Has black brackets and polished silver bar. Lemme know if interested and I will snap some pics. Trying to get rid of some things not gonna be used that I have piled up around here. That rr stb would be one of those items. I see you're in MI.....I'm in TX.

pics are just from fon to email to PC then uploaded. That 3rd pic with missing strut didn't flip. Not sure what catch is..............maybe the vertical portrait pics flip and the horizontal landscape ones don't.

Last edited:
This Forum Rocks! I too am looking at the Tein kit...
I agree that a MSP will be JUST as old as a P5 and a lot more thrashed....
So new equivalent seems to be the route to take....

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
This Forum Rocks! I too am looking at the Tein kit...
I agree that a MSP will be JUST as old as a P5 and a lot more thrashed....
So new equivalent seems to be the route to take....
I happen to have a set of Tein S-Techs that I am not using. They were tested on my vehicle this week during my coilfest and I decided to go with the Espelirs. Nothing wrong with the Teins, just like the ride height of the Espelirs better, that and the higher spring rate on the rears. Not sure how bad shipping would be on them to even make it worthwhile for either of us. They are just gonna be "inventoried" here on the parts rack otherwise.

The green ones in 2nd pic on previous pg in post 56673...................

Last edited:

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Alrighty then...........Coilfest is all wrapped up. Espelirs got the call and it is win win......ride much better, ride height perfect for my setup. Ditching the 12 yr old tires for new ones and a fresh alignment coming soon.........or some 22v for the bumper and lip.

20200410_104436.jpg
20200410_113407.jpg

lolmsp lolms3
Evade! Glad to see you’re still around. How and where did the twm ss break? Just for note taking. Mine is prolly about a decade old now lol

31N007

31N007
:
Mazda Protege5
What 323 said!

I've got one that's an unknown age and, insofar as I can tell, there's nowhere I'd readily anticipate a failure point.

I watched it snow on my P5 today. Michigan is strange, but I suppose it's not totally unusual to see this stuff this time of the year...

Attachments

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Some fresh new General G Max AST05's and reigned in that passenger side front toe being out with an alignment..............tires & alignment added almost as much ride comfort as the fresh coils did. Between the 2, much happier than before. Coils had 15 yrs of use and tires were 12 yrs old but still more than half tread left. Very noticeable and appreciated difference in ride comfort.

20200427_115836.jpg

Last edited:

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Some fresh new General G Max AST05's and reigned in that passenger side front toe being out with an alignment..............tires & alignment added almost as much ride comfort as the fresh coils did. Between the 2, much happier than before. Coils had 15 yrs of use and tires were 12 yrs old but still more than half tread left. Very noticeable and appreciated difference in ride comfort.
My car needs some better tires and I was looking at the G-Max AS-05s a while back, but wasn't sure about quality of General brand products over other brands like Michelin, BFG or Continental. Can I ask what tires you had before, what you think of the AS-05s now in comparison, as well as what size you got them in?
Thanks!

31N007

31N007
:
Mazda Protege5
^^ My experience is with their Altimax Arctic winter tires and the outgoing "model" was that they were great as both a winter tire as well as a RallyCross tire.

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
My car needs some better tires and I was looking at the G-Max AS-05s a while back, but wasn't sure about quality of General brand products over other brands like Michelin, BFG or Continental. Can I ask what tires you had before, what you think of the AS-05s now in comparison, as well as what size you got them in?
Thanks!
I had 12 yr old Nexen (Lexani) N3000 205/40/17s. Squarer shoulder but louder and harsher ride at 37psi. Was 2nd set and they were OK. The Generals have been getting good reviews for cost and quality. Been researching all 205/40/17s for awhile now. Bought same size - 205/40/17s. The shoulders aren't as square but they have rim protection, ride much quieter and more comfy at 37psi & have 500 treadwear & AAA ratings. At the rate I put miles on this car, they will probably be replaced because of time, not wear. Another reason I did not go with more expensive bigger name brand set.

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V......................the voices of the bumper and lip that I can't get out of my head ⚠

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V......................the voices of the bumper and lip that I can't get out of my head ⚠
I've seen your photos and that nice bumper and lip you on your car. They'll look even better when they've got some 22v on them!

I think i'm going to need some new 22v on my bumper as well, alas. Someone tapped my front end this week and sent cracks through paint. What a shame. I have no license plate to take the oomph. The bumper already had 150K miles of damage including some small peeling spots, but it never looked this bad.

Does anybody know what the cheapest and most cost effective way to repaint the bumper would be? I'm 90% sure it's not cracked.

Benji

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Yeah, getting tired of that NASCAR chase yellow splitter action........it's really moving up the project priority list since I have had time to knock out a whole boatload of things in these strange daze we find ourselves in.....................mine isn't done partly because I've found no cheap way of doing it that will hold up. I don't wanna see yellow freckles from frwy. I am actually considering extra clear coats and having clear bra put on front facing areas of it as well as a front strip across the hood.

Next project is making 06 audio controls on steering wheel work in my 04 xB which requires dissecting a tC in a junkyard since 06 xB is few and far between and only year of gen1 xB that had them. My dash harness doesn't have connections for them. Recently did the wheel swap and have newer 06 stereo that has connection for it. Gonna score the controls off wheel, clockspring and dash harness connection to it from column to back of stereo...only way to do it and stay oem.

The toaster, my other sport wagon.........

20200424_180243.jpg

20200505_112358.jpg

Last edited: