What have you done to your MSP today?

Those Master cylinder caps crack all the time. The new cap will hold brake pressure better and you may notice better pedal feel.

The r/rear door actuator just started the grinding noise and door lock is not opening! (gah) FML...
I think I've got one. Interested in it? I'll check after work today.

For mine it was the left rear lock actuator, but I honestly can't remember if that was in the MSP or my last protege.

It's too cold outside! The low for today is 1... The high is 17... The car is covered in snow... I'd really like to have it in tonight.

Havn't been on here in a while, actually I haven't done much to the msp in a while either... But ive had an issue come up and I cant figure out what it is. When I get on it and the rpm's get to about 4 or 5k it feels like the car hits fuel cut. It feels violent, but it dont happen all the time. It tends to happen only in the cold weather and i noticed it happens more often when my heats on (don't know if that has anything to do with it but it just seems like it happens more when its on..) I'm at a total loss of what it could be, any ideas?

so changed my ac/ps belt on the weekend as i was getting a loud squeel that got worse then went away on cold start. does this mean my ps pump or one of the pullies is going out? it doesnt always do it when starting in the morning but if i go for a short drive and start it up again it will most of the time.

Engine is in. I've got another 2 hours or so before it's done. I'll be busy the next 3 days, but it WILL be drivable this weekend!

FB_IMG_13890499386714014_zpsb1fc98db.jpg

Just warmed it up and then shut it down... I don't commute, so it might be 3-4 between actually driving the car.

However Sunday I did a Meg's Wash and Wax anywhere clean up on the exterior to get rid of the black haze that was growing steadily darker. I hate those black streaks from the door handles, trim, and side markers.

Any idea on why it hits fuel cut?

Because you are on the stock tune. In cold temps the MAF easily maxes out it's 5V range and cuts the ignition. SSAFC can tune out fuel cut, the joe P Fuel cut defender is crap, just an attempt to bandaid the stock tune from years ago.

so changed my ac/ps belt on the weekend as i was getting a loud squeel that got worse then went away on cold start. does this mean my ps pump or one of the pullies is going out? it doesnt always do it when starting in the morning but if i go for a short drive and start it up again it will most of the time.

You can tell the sound of a bearing failing vs. belt squeal. Is the belt tight enough? Too much belt tension will ruin the water pump bearings which may be the problem with your car or not enough tension will cause belt squeal which is remedied by tightening the belt more. I have seen people forget to re-tighten the adjustment screw and the belts come loose again

Last edited:
Replaced my spark plugs yesterday, had NGK ZFR7F plugs and went back to the ZFR6Fs partially because I forgot I had the colder plugs and partially because I don't run more than 9psi hardly ever. Need to replace the wheel stud next to get my inspection done, shop that did the trans was so wonderful to mash the threads and cross all the lugs AFTER spending over $2k (another reason why I don't let anyone touch the car, wish I had the time and space to fix the trans myself).

Last edited:
Because you are on the stock tune. In cold temps the MAF easily maxes out it's 5V range and cuts the ignition. SSAFC can tune out fuel cut, the joe P Fuel cut defender is crap, just an attempt to bandaid the stock tune from years ago.

ahh yeah I've heard of some hesitation but not fuel cut from this. But glad to know nothings wrong with the car, probably going to try and pick up a split second sometime this spring

Tightened it down and still get the sqeel. Tomorrow maybr I'll try tightening the other one.

Replaced the wheel stud today, only took 30 mins. even without power tools. Also replaced the air filter and the car is running noticeably better, haven't replaced it since I installed the FMIC a long while ago.

Back