What have you done to your MSP today?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2
There's a titanium for sale near me now, but I need a third MSP like a hole in the head. Won't sell 1345 any time soon, but I have been looking at other cars. Either want something Cobb supports (like getting my neighbor's 05 Legacy GT, still waiting on that) or a Mach 1, Cobra or 5.0 Mustang. I drove my dad's EcoBoost F150 the other day and for a bone stock full size truck it is amazing how quick it is. A single cab, even with the 2.7, if you add a downpipe and tune, the thing would easily run low 13s, full weight. Always been a Ford guy at heart, so it's between dailying a spicy or mixing it up a bit and finding a Mustang. Or of course finding a P5 for a daily I can put miles on and not worry about, then look for a Mustang later on

Dpwhitehead1

Damian
Contributor
:
MSP 1145
most of my parts are here or being delivered for both the white protege, and my MSP. I'm excited to finish the white one to give to my dad... It's basically just a pretty white, stock protege.

I only need to pay for the turbo manifold and hopefully source a downpipe for the msp.

batmang

Dunna dunna dunna....
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Anyone have any experience coating their MSP manifold with the VHT high temp paint? If so, any issues with it?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
I used high temp paint for my stock mani and it flaked off after a few months. I followed the instructions and baked it in the oven, etc. My advice would be to have it professionally powdercoated or better yet get a pope or steedspeed.

:
Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
I found someone local that will do a ceramic coat on my steedspeed exhaust mani for $110.I'll post back w/ results soon.

batmang

Dunna dunna dunna....
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a local shop that will do my manifold and turbo housings for $210. I may go that route eventually. I'm trying the VHT stuff as we speak. Letting the manifold dry for another few hours and then I'll start the curing process. We'll see how this stuff holds up.

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
AC was working great in 1574 since I replaced the compressor, haven't used it in a couple weeks and today the compressor wouldn't kick on at all. Tired of stupid problems always popping up with these old cars. For a weekend toy that's one thing but relying on it for a daily is becoming a headache. Going to try to find the leak and charge it up again, replaced all the seals when I did the compressor so I don't know where it is leaking.

Sgt_smoku

:
2003.5 mazda protege
So after much irritation with the weather new turbo gt2871 and custom 3in down are stuffed under the hood. Had to rebend hard water lines had to bend oil return and lenthen hose. Popped a hole in radiator so now i got a half stack and slim fan mounted. 90% done just need longer upper radiator house and put exaust from rear o2 up and shes finished.

Also vht manifold if your running stocker the 1300-2000f ceramic paint will do just make sure if you dont bake it that you follow the on car instructions. I believe 10 idel 20 cool,20 idel 20cool and then another 20-30 idel at operating tempeture and let cool.

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
Currently swapping stock protege midpipe on to 1574 so I can have a new flex section welded into my catless midpipe. Going to try to get the AC working again too

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
Not entirely sure how but the rods are knocking in 1574, motor only has about 45k on it. Going to pull it to install new rod and crank bearings. Probably going to look for a P5 to daily in the mean time, waiting for a clean red or laser blue 5 speed with a sunroof to show up, would also go for a white one. Tired of messing with the MSPs constantly, having one for a weekend toy is one thing but as a daily I need something more reliable.

Also considering getting a speed6, eventually I will probably end up with one. Or maybe a Mustang, I have time to decide.

malex

:
03.5 MSP
Some time ago, I was having a too much fun, and ended up with a blown sub and a cracked enclosure. DSC08317.jpg

I went the easy way first, and looked for a complete replacement. Eventually, I realized it's an extremely hard to find part. I started during the week, but ended up caught in the rain. I got everything squared away yesterday. The old sub went out with a fight, and left many of the mounting holes useless. I had to grab some anchors from Home Depot. The new one isn't an exact fit, but I was able to reuse most of the original mounting holes. The amp was a quick swap.

So far, it seems to hit as hard as the stock box, but I haven't played with the EQ since reconnecting the battery. I got to use a multimeter, so it was a pretty good day!

I used the Kenwood KFC-XW800F sub and the Kenwood KAC-M3001 amp.

Attachments

• DSC08327.jpg
    DSC08327.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC08326.jpg
    DSC08326.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC08318.jpg
    DSC08318.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 54

Dpwhitehead1

Damian
Contributor
:
MSP 1145
Some time ago, I was having a too much fun, and ended up with a blown sub and a cracked enclosure. View attachment 216280

I went the easy way first, and looked for a complete replacement. Eventually, I realized it's an extremely hard to find part. I started during the week, but ended up caught in the rain. I got everything squared away yesterday. The old sub went out with a fight, and left many of the mounting holes useless. I had to grab some anchors from Home Depot. The new one isn't an exact fit, but I was able to reuse most of the original mounting holes. The amp was a quick swap.

So far, it seems to hit as hard as the stock box, but I haven't played with the EQ since reconnecting the battery. I got to use a multimeter, so it was a pretty good day!

I used the Kenwood KFC-XW800F sub and the Kenwood KAC-M3001 amp.

Looks good! I wish I had a sub rack, but I don't.

What part of MD?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
Noticed the vacuum was lower in 1574 than normal and it threw a P0171 code. Also noticed the EBC wasn't lowering boost when I turned it down. Checked the WG and the diaphragm was leaking. Unhooked it for now, good thing it has a forged motor or it would have blown the stock rods to smithereens.

It also is still bubbling coolant out the overflow, mainly at idle. Doesn't appear to be overheating. I removed the thermostat, swapped to a massive CS radiator with a different fan and cap, flushed the coolant with fresh distilled water and burped the system. Has to be the water pump.

I rebuilt the head on the stock motor right before the rods started knocking so I think I will go ahead and swap the head over, install the ZE intake and CS exhaust cams, possibly get some hydra cam gears and cut and paint the valve cover. Then install my ZE intake manifold, new water pump and blue gates timing belt/components, Steedspeed mani, low mileage T25 and Forge WGA with new 14psi spring.

And I ordered a vacuum pump that just came in so I can recharge the AC in both cars and fix the leaks.

As for 1574 I ordered new main and rod bearings, will have the crank polished and put it all back together. Probably should have waited to order the bearings until I had the crank out but I have a spare good crank so I should be alright.

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
Oh and I removed the AFC in the forged car and honestly I cannot tell a difference at all without it. At ~16psi it runs perfectly fine on the stock tune, AFRs are even within the proper range.