What have you done to your Miata today?

Had her out and bedded the pads again but it didn't really change how they bite. The battery was basically dead as I mentioned before, charged it several times and would be dead within two days. Searched everywhere but couldn't find the receipt for the damn thing. Thanks to my work log I knew when I had bought it (and from where), so I took it up today to see what could be done. I bought it at O'Reilly's, they scanned the bar code on the battery and cross-referenced it with my phone number. I walked out with a brand new battery, since the last one was less than a year old.

Today I bought something from eBay, I will wait to reveal just what until I have hands-on and can post a picture.

Finally had weather nice enough to go to C&C (although it was a little too cold to have the top down. I'm an enthusiast, not a masochist). First time running her on the highway after my last round of work. It is quieter inside the cabin, although I feel there is still a little too much reverberation going on. A friend at C&C asked me why the muffler was offset, when I looked I saw it had moved to the left. That is down to the angle of the hanger I installed that was missing off the RB muffler for my year. I'll have to go to a muffler shop to see about having a proper hanger welded on that lines things up.

Cruise didn't work, I figured I had left something undone and sure enough when I checked, I had neglected to put the vacuum hose on the actuator. That fixed that problem. This evening I installed the new brake caliper bleed screw caps I got off Amazon, the new ones have the little tail to keep them on the screw when you are bleeding so you don't misplace them. I also readjusted the rear brakes.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be great, but I have already committed to doing the brakes on one of our kids' car. Hoping that won't take too long so I can get some top-down time.

Installed the Fab9Tuning/Versatuner ND tune, very nice! Smoothed out the acceleration and gave me a nice bump in the mid range.

I wonder what sort of power #s an ND would be producing with such a tune and some boltons...I'd imagine the engine is already highly tuned from the factory no..?

Gave another grandkid (son) a Miata introduction today. Short jaunt to the store but he loved it (he's three).

Finally stopped sitting on the fence and bought a Battery Tender, that showed up today. Since my wife very rarely drives it since she has her own 'vert now, I needed to do something so I don't have to get a new battery every year.

My latest eBay purchase showed up yesterday:

49636962661_c5ea226967_b.jpg

49636436473_eba770db48_b.jpg

I sat on the fence undecided about this for a while but went ahead and pulled the trigger. More visibility is good, right? I've been trying to obtain a set of mirrors to paint and use for these (you have to drill a hole in the mirror housing to pass the wires through) but so far the used part resellers I've contacted have not responded.

I like those mirrors Mike! More visibility in a Miata is always better!

This Friday I get the new summer rubber mounted. I have a set of General Gmax RS sitting in the basement just waiting for some action. Inspection showed F & R pads at 4/32nds so I will be shopping for new pads/rotors. More than likely sticking with the Centric as I like them but a 4 piston Wildwood kit from GWR has crossed my mind. Hard to justify the price for a DD though.

Ordered a new DIN surround for my h/u too. The tabs along the top broke and it is no longer flush. I am thinking I didn't stuff all the wires and bits good enough when installing the h/u and the plastic tabs lost their fight to hold on.

Finally got her out of the garage after about 3 months of winter storage! Took her for a fabulous drive with my wife. Top down. Oh yeah...

I wonder what sort of power #s an ND would be producing with such a tune and some boltons...I'd imagine the engine is already highly tuned from the factory no..?
with the tune, header and exhaust some are seeing 30 HP gains (maybe some E85 too)
I like those mirrors Mike! More visibility in a Miata is always better!

This Friday I get the new summer rubber mounted. I have a set of General Gmax RS sitting in the basement just waiting for some action. Inspection showed F & R pads at 4/32nds so I will be shopping for new pads/rotors. More than likely sticking with the Centric as I like them but a 4 piston Wildwood kit from GWR has crossed my mind. Hard to justify the price for a DD though.

Ordered a new DIN surround for my h/u too. The tabs along the top broke and it is no longer flush. I am thinking I didn't stuff all the wires and bits good enough when installing the h/u and the plastic tabs lost their fight to hold on.
I like the mirrors to Mike!

ya, if you did any track days the “wilwoods”would almost be a must....but they sure look nice behind the wheels! 😉

Got a few updates on the mirrors but will get to those tomorrow. Today I finally got around to swapping the clock spring with one I bought from SNS at MATG. I am happy to report that has solved my flashing airbag light problem. Now to see how long it lasts...

I've been getting mirrors and parts for my marker project. After waiting on resellers I finally heard back from one. Then, I also got a message from someone who had swapped out their mirrors offering his old ones (much cheaper). Only thing was there was no glass. After some research I determined I would still be cheaper than another source so pulled the trigger. Ordered new glass from the dealer, ordered some paint from Automotive Touchup and waited for it all to arrive.

Finally got everything earlier this week. Opened the mirror box to find when they were Plastidipped the interior wasn't covered so that crap was everywhere.

49679134258_854a109047_b.jpg

I wanted to try and remove the motor fixture from the interior. This required moving the mirror housing on the base to access the screws. I was not able to physically move the two pieces with just hand power (they are tough to do on the car, off it nearly impossible). I don't have any spanner wrenches so made one up with a couple of pin punches and plier handles:

49679134763_a400950412_b.jpg

That worked well, however I needed to move the base in the opposite direction so I could remove the other screw. Didn't pay enough attention, one of the punches moved too far into the base and this happened:

49679954307_2699cc3a93_b.jpg

Disappointing. After doing that I figured out I wouldn't be able to remove the interior bits in one piece due to how there is a pivot connecting the base and housing. I don't see any sort of circlip so I'm guessing it's a press fit. I did remove the motor and found something interesting about how the wires are connected. You would expect some sort of connector, but no:

49679664656_00bf5142fb_b.jpg

49679133938_95d9cf9766_b.jpg

In case you don't know what you are looking at, Mazda used a vamp clamp arrangement.

Next up was cleaning as much of the Plastidip from the interior as I could. Peeled what I could then used BrakeKleen for the rest, like I did on the wife's car's wheels. End result:

49679953532_ebce99ea87_b.jpg

Here is a shot of the back of the mirror and the motor showing the four attachment clips that keep it together:

49679953312_409f3de572_b.jpg

Finally, what I used to glue the broken piece back in:

49679663906_16c4dfcd46_b.jpg

Once that sets I'll fill in the cracks and prep everything for paint. I'm going to do these one at a time so I don't have too many parts floating around to get confused.

Thanks Mark!

I've been thinking about my lack of an amp reading when I was checking the car to figure out why my battery was dead, finally got around to checking my meter tonight and sure enough one fuse was blown. Of course with no Radio Shack any more finding a replacement locally is damn near impossible, so Amazon to the rescue once again. Once they show up by Thursday I'll be checking my amp draw with no apparent load again.

Put her up in the air and bled the brakes using my Motive bleeder. It's been more than a month since I changed over to Sport brakes and I wanted to be sure there weren't any lingering air bubbles.

Got a drive in today on one of my favorite local roads. First since upgrading the Sport brakes, love the stopping power.

49702233382_4442d45d71_b.jpg

Then I finally installed the LED footwell lights I've had sitting around. Almost done, didn't connect the power wire yet as I didn't want to wrestle around under the dash any further and it's gonna be a PITA.

49701385468_868de7542f_b.jpg

Took her out for a drive, beautiful morning here in NC! I practiced social distancing of course!
42FAEE73-FE1C-437E-971F-CCCED4CE9FF9.jpeg

Back