What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Children from far away places come to visit the parents at the start of winter and beginning of spring.
Mazda5, MAzda2, and now the MAzda3.. (Mazda family). The changing of the tires. Has become a family
tradition.

you guys are fast :D. J/k, I still remember those videos of your Mazda5 "plowing" truck

Installed Centric rotors and ceramic pads on all four corners.

A625F27F-0D73-40AD-A2C4-2F1C3992FC94-296-000000282AE5FC57_zpsda1da932.jpg

Note 1: I learned the nifty "needle nose pliers" trick for the rear caliper piston.

Note 2: When these fronts get rusty, bust out the extra long breaker bar.

Note 3: Ceramin pads don't quite bite as hard as regular semi-metallics, I'll give it a few days.

I installed Centric premium rotors and ceramic pads on our 2008 Mazda5 in August. The car had about 62000 miles then and about 64500 miles now. This is my wife's daily driver and I must say that whenever I get a chance to drive it, I covet those new brakes. The Centric products were very high quality and have broken-in very nicely. The brakes bite much better and with a much more progressive pedal feel than they ever did when the OEM brakes were installed. They feel very nice. Anyway in my newer 2012 Mazda5, still with OEM brakes, that I drive everyday, it doesn't feel nearly as nice. I'd like to try the MS3 brake swap at some point but I don't have enough miles racked-up yet on the 2012 (14600) to justify spending that kind of money when there's nothing wrong with my original hardware. The Centric rotors look nice too!

Silent, that means you will need wheel spacers to be a straight swap with stock rims? I was never really keen on wheel spacers, not sure what my hang up is lol
I can only say my '08 stock rims needed spacers. Seems you '09 guys get all the breaks. I would not be shocked if '09 rims magically fit (but highly doubt). I've seen/owned variations of the NA Miata stock daises and they do vary. Eye test says they look alike until you look at the details to notice slight variations and noticeably weight difference. Speculation, it is possible that Mazda may have changed suppliers between years or there are aftermarket replicas. If you plan to use stock rims, I’d recommend having a pair of spacers on standby. That said, I wonder if ’06-’07 rims might fit since they are slightly different.

I do not like spacers either. They make me feel uneasy b/c you lose a bit of the stud = lest thread for the lug nut to mount. You can go with aftermarket longer studs but I really don’t think it is necessary. You only need a .25” (memory) spacer so there’s still lots of threading for the nut. FWIW, MS3 calipers clears 18” (BBS) no problem, it cannot fit 15” (BBS) juuust a tad too small, and I did not have 16” to try but I highly suspect it will fit.

Last edited:
I installed Centric premium rotors and ceramic pads on our 2008 Mazda5 in August. The car had about 62000 miles then and about 64500 miles now. This is my wife's daily driver and I must say that whenever I get a chance to drive it, I covet those new brakes. The Centric products were very high quality and have broken-in very nicely. The brakes bite much better and with a much more progressive pedal feel than they ever did when the OEM brakes were installed. They feel very nice. Anyway in my newer 2012 Mazda5, still with OEM brakes, that I drive everyday, it doesn't feel nearly as nice. I'd like to try the MS3 brake swap at some point but I don't have enough miles racked-up yet on the 2012 (14600) to justify spending that kind of money when there's nothing wrong with my original hardware. The Centric rotors look nice too!

Good deal. They weren't too expensive on RockAuto.com, did all four corners for $240. Now to paint those calipers from rust brown to shiny blue!

Well, it wasn't "today", but here's what I've done to my 2013 mazda5 recently:
Nov 01 2013: Vehicle purchase (new)
Nov 03 2013: Install Scangauge (my wife was not humored by the fact I was pulling panels and drilling holes in a 36-hour old car, lol)
Nov 12 2013: Install auto-dimming EC & Homelink rearview mirror, rear bumper guard, and cargo net.

Near future plans:
Week of Nov 18: Install Sirius tuner
Week of Dec 2: Install AST suspension
Week of Dec 23: Sound deadening / soundproofing (full interior removal)
Jan/Feb 2014: Wheels/tires
mid 2014: Turbo

Last edited:
Oh she is going to love having the whole interior part during Christmas week! I'll subscribe to your turbo install, if there is no "my wife left me" thread first :) FWIW that will most likely be the first current gen turbo setup on a 5.

Nov 03 2013: Install Scangauge (my wife was not humored by the fact I was pulling panels and drilling holes in a 36-hour old car, lol)

Near future plans:
Week of Dec 23: Sound deadening / soundproofing (full interior removal)
mid 2014: Turbo

Oh she is going to love having the whole interior part during Christmas week! I'll subscribe to your turbo install, if there is no "my wife left me" thread first :) FWIW that will most likely be the first current gen turbo setup on a 5.

Well, there shouldn't be a "my wife left me" thread, as the modifications and budget were negotiated and received (reluctant) approval beforehand. But it still makes me scratch my head that if I had wanted a $40k Toyota Sienna, she wouldn't have batted an eye. But instead when I wanted a $17k Mazda, plus $7k in modifications to turn it into what I truly want as a daily driver, I'm talking crazy talk, lol.

I agree that I may be the first to do a turbo 2.5 mz5, but it's basically the exact same as the 2.3 so it's not like I'm really blazing any radically new ground. All the parts appear to be available, custom fab work should be minimal. I will start a build thread as the turbo gets closer, I'm researching parts, but probably won't start purchasing anything for a few months.

You have a very good woman there! I would have spent 30K to get my dream 5 but it just isnt available. I want the Skyactiv Diesel with AWD, power sliding doors, power liftgate, power seats and a rear sunroof. I would also love some more sound deadening and an overall upgraded interior while I'm asking for the moon and stars :) Truthfully, I could get most if not all of those items if I really wanted to but what a headache. Its a shame that people in NA dont get the concept of "Small Premium".

Well, there shouldn't be a "my wife left me" thread, as the modifications and budget were negotiated and received (reluctant) approval beforehand.

Last edited:
I agree that I may be the first to do a turbo 2.5 mz5, but it's basically the exact same as the 2.3 so it's not like I'm really blazing any radically new ground. All the parts appear to be available, custom fab work should be minimal. I will start a build thread as the turbo gets closer, I'm researching parts, but probably won't start purchasing anything for a few months.
Cool. Look forward to reading about your build (2thumbs)

Are not all these mods going to void your warranty? Is it worth the risk or blowing something? I was just wondering.
Yes, they will void the warranty on the specific system that I modify, and any system that the modifications directly effect. So Mazda could deny me warranty for prematurely worn bushings due to the stiffer springs/shocks, but they couldn't deny me warranty if the radio craps out, for example. But I'm OK with that.

I didn't buy the vehicle new to get the warranty. I bought it because I wanted the newer styling, the larger displacement of the 2.5 (knowing I would turbo it), and the 6-speed. I looked at used 2012 mz5's, but I got a brand new 2013 with 3 miles for about $1500 more than most were asking for used 2012's with 30k miles.

I enjoy and feel comfortable doing maintenance and repairs myself, and don't really mind shelling out the hundred bucks and spending a half hour in the garage to change a swaybar link. In fact I prefer that over either waiting in the dealer waiting room drinking stale coffee leafing through old magazines, or dealing with carpooling to drop-off/pick up the car.

In the event something truly catastrophic happens, well these aren't really expensive engines/transmissions. I would definitely be more hesitant if I was dealing with a brand new BMW or Porsche, where sourcing a new engine could easily be over $10k (I have historically been a german-car guy). That said, I'm not looking to make 400+whp on my stock engine - I'm thinking 250-ish, which should keep things reliable, and is probably near the practical useable maximum for a front driver (especially with no LSD).

Had you stuck with <10, you would’ve had a better looking car and coulda gotten a Kaaz LSD to open up your potential. In time, I would think they will expand it to the 6MT.

EDIT: <'10 are also immune to factory warranty issues. :D

Last edited:
good luck

Yes, they will void the warranty on the specific system that I modify, and any system that the modifications directly effect. So Mazda could deny me warranty for prematurely worn bushings due to the stiffer springs/shocks, but they couldn't deny me warranty if the radio craps out, for example. But I'm OK with that.

I didn't buy the vehicle new to get the warranty. I bought it because I wanted the newer styling, the larger displacement of the 2.5 (knowing I would turbo it), and the 6-speed. I looked at used 2012 mz5's, but I got a brand new 2013 with 3 miles for about $1500 more than most were asking for used 2012's with 30k miles.

I enjoy and feel comfortable doing maintenance and repairs myself, and don't really mind shelling out the hundred bucks and spending a half hour in the garage to change a swaybar link. In fact I prefer that over either waiting in the dealer waiting room drinking stale coffee leafing through old magazines, or dealing with carpooling to drop-off/pick up the car.

In the event something truly catastrophic happens, well these aren't really expensive engines/transmissions. I would definitely be more hesitant if I was dealing with a brand new BMW or Porsche, where sourcing a new engine could easily be over $10k (I have historically been a german-car guy). That said, I'm not looking to make 400+whp on my stock engine - I'm thinking 250-ish, which should keep things reliable, and is probably near the practical useable maximum for a front driver (especially with no LSD).

Good luck, I wish you the best, and I hope you have luck and ease of install with all the mods. I like my 2010 MZ5, but will wait 2 more years until powertrain is up, or if I go over with mileage. Then I will start with back sway bar, lowering, etc. and see where it brings me. I was a VW guy as well, until I could not take it anymore with my 2006 Jetta. It was possessed, and possibly with a demon inside. I have never seen a crappier car in my life. So then I switched to Jap...

You have a very good woman there! I would have spent 30K to get my dream 5 but it just isnt available. I want the Skyactiv Diesel with AWD, power sliding doors, power liftgate, power seats and a rear sunroof. I would also love some more sound deadening and an overall upgraded interior while I'm asking for the moon and stars :) Truthfully, I could get most if not all of those items if I really wanted to but what a headache. Its a shame that people in NA dont get the concept of "Small Premium".

Build it yourself? :D

Had you stuck with <10, you would’ve had a better looking car and coulda gotten a Kaaz LSD to open up your potential. In time, I would think they will expand it to the 6MT.

Which Kaaz?

Had you stuck with <10, you wouldve had a better looking car and coulda gotten a Kaaz LSD to open up your potential. In time, I would think they will expand it to the 6MT.
EDIT: <'10 are also immune to factory warranty issues. :D
1. Personal preference on the styling :D
2. Thanks for the link to Kaaz, maybe I'll give them a call and see if they're working on an application for the 6MT.
3. As previously mentioned, I'm not concerned with the warranty issue. (dunno) Cars today aren't built the same as they were 30 or 40 years ago, AND this engine platform is plenty old enough (2001) that design and/or manufacturing issues will have been worked out long ago.

Which Kaaz?
Here's what I just found on www.kaazusa.com

Their current Mazda application matrix:

u2MJwFz.png

Back