What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

I think we have a tie!

Changed out the cabin filters. They we're absolutely disgusting, I don't think they've ever been changed by the previous owner. Easy enough though, literally a 10 minute job.

095CFF2E-13AF-4890-B66D-3E6D7E2247E9-17197-00000937626235AA_zpse1e7ee19.jpg

15F5B419-AC08-44FB-A02E-69D184744008-17197-000009376B3F57DF_zps1c814a2e.jpg

See post 1329 in this thread. No clue what caused it. It wasn't raining, temps were mid 70's and partly cloudy. Upper deck of a suspension bridge so nothing fell from a building and no construction on bridge. Just a pop and no more glass, weird but common.

Ouch, that is filthy.

FYI, ATP now offers a charcoal lined cabin filter. Previously, I used the cheapest possible filter available, now I am using the ATP. Can't comment objectively how well it really removes odor but I am quite happy with it. Cheaper at the rock, if I recall.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

So you have to buy one or two (qty) off Amazon? Those are pretty filthy...

This is a photo of the powerwedge MAX! It sits maybe an inch and a half from the rear door when its closed. I have a fuse there because that is where the original owner cut the wire. I just added a fuse and kept on going. There is also a fuse closer to the battery, and one after the distribution block. Also, for a remote, I tapped into the fuseblock on the side of the glovebox. When I install my 4ch amp, I'll move it to the radio itself, but for now, it works well and is hidden.

Ohhhh. Thought you might have stealth-mounted it somewhere. I can't lose ANY trunk space, so the search for the driver AND the cash continues. :(

Holy gigawatts of bass Batman! How do you keep that monster from drowning out your mids and highs?
Actually, my bass is only set at -3 and the gain isn't even halfway so I don't have the sub working that hard yet. But once I put my other 6x8s in the doors and add this puppy... A JBLGTO504ez
GTO504ez_sq_001-1_dv156x156.png
. I can really dial it in properly then. Yeah, it does eat up a lot of space and I was looking for the 10" version, but at 130 bux, I couldn't pass this up. Oh and movies have that "theatre" sound now.

Ohhhh. Thought you might have stealth-mounted it somewhere. I can't lose ANY trunk space, so the search for the driver AND the cash continues. :(

You know you can always take out your spare tire and just throw in a can of fix a flat. Many automakers are doing that now to save weight(and $$) anyway.

Today I applied a very fancy winter undercoating to both of our Mazda5s.....using an old can, a paintbrush, and some used motor oil I had laying around the garage. This is the first time I've tried undercoating but I'm not willing to pay someone at a shop or the dealer to do it. I put the car up on ramps and applied a light coat with the paintbrush to as much of the exposed metal surfaces I could reach under the car including all the moving suspension bits and the places where there are welds. I'll do a better job with the suspension bits when I remove my summer rims/tires to put on the snows in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Think of them as pre-filfth'ed due to the charcoal. When you look at them later, it'll be much harder to tell if they are "dirty"... One order comes with both filters.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
You know you can always take out your spare tire and just throw in a can of fix a flat. Many automakers are doing that now to save weight(and $$) anyway.
I don't want to lose the true spare- tire gunk has never been something that appealed to me. If I'm going to stuff the sub into the spare tire well, I'll be building a custom box that leaves space for the tire too.

I bought the heated elements separately and wired the existing housings. I cant find the invoice but I believe I paid around $22 each for them. If you can solder, I don't think it makes sense to do it any other way. If you can't solder, it makes more sense to buy an aftermarket assembly on ebay for $55 and swap the wiring over. It took me about 30 minutes total on the passenger side once I figured it out.

Teaser:

Holy gigawatts of bass Batman! How do you keep that monster from drowning out your mids and highs? Orangutan, what color Plastidip are you gonna use? I made a rear bumper cover out of it for mine (in black) I really like how the finish self-levels with the aerosol Plastidip, I can see how someone could go nuts and spray the whole blessed car with it LOL The huge advantage to this approach is that when it gets beat up you can mask and respray in about an hour and it looks as good as new again.

Matte black plastidip. My car is black anyway. I may get some glossifier in the future depending on how this turns out, but I doubt it. Plan is to spray everything on Sunday.

I bought the heated elements separately and wired the existing housings. I cant find the invoice but I believe I paid around $22 each for them. If you can solder, I don't think it makes sense to do it any other way. If you can't solder, it makes more sense to buy an aftermarket assembly on ebay for $55 and swap the wiring over. It took me about 30 minutes total on the passenger side once I figured it out.

What did you wire the elements to?

The elements are part of the glass if that is part of what you're wondering. I wired it to the harness behind the door tweeter, all 5's are pre wired for it.

The elements are part of the glass if that is part of what you're wondering. I wired it to the harness behind the door tweeter, all 5's are pre wired for it.

I see.... I was wondering what those wires were for. I though it was for the optional tweeter. Crap.... If I knew it was for the heated mirrors I'd have done it long time ago wen I took my mirrors apart for the camera wiring.

Latest posts

Back