What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

:
Epping, NH
:
2012 Mazda 5
Replaced the OEM battery. Put in the Walmart EverStart Maxx group 35.

Why you ask? I left the headlights on for 1.5 hours by mistake and the battery was dead when I went to start it. It was daylight and the keys stayed in the ignition, so I didn't get the usual warning sound. I am well deserving of the idiot award!

I didn't think the battery should have been dead from this so I took it as a sign of the original battery getting weak. I figured at 8 years old, it's time.

Borrowed the 12v battery out of the home alarm system and alligator clipped it to the wires as a keep-alive battery.

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
Finally decided to give the roof rack some much needed love. The basket and crossbars were getting quite rusty, so I sanded everything down and sprayed a few good coats of Rust Check Stone Shield.

The plastic fairing was also looking super rough and warped, so I cut one out of wood and threw a few coats of tung oil for shine/protection. The fairing is held on with some rust-free fasteners and some Yakima fairing brackets. Very excited to get it back on the 5!

And yes, those are bike handlebar risers attaching the basket to the crossbars!

Enjoy the attached detail shots:
|
IMG_8467.jpg
IMG_8468.jpg
IMG_8469.jpg
IMG_8470.jpg

Antoine

Administrator
Finally decided to give the roof rack some much needed love. The basket and crossbars were getting quite rusty, so I sanded everything down and sprayed a few good coats of Rust Check Stone Shield.

The plastic fairing was also looking super rough and warped, so I cut one out of wood and threw a few coats of tung oil for shine/protection. The fairing is held on with some rust-free fasteners and some Yakima fairing brackets. Very excited to get it back on the 5!

And yes, those are bike handlebar risers attaching the basket to the crossbars!

Enjoy the attached detail shots:
| View attachment 226956 View attachment 226957 View attachment 226958 View attachment 226959
Cool project, looks great (using wood is a nice touch)...Thanks for sharing! (y)

Did a quick sand and paint of my faux-EM rack earlier, and mounted a bike tray. I like the slightly more rugged look since this car is always going to look a little scratched up. Mounted one of my crappy 30-pound Walmart bikes to it and it held up to the abuse.

2020-09-21 08.44.05.jpg
2020-09-21 08.44.40.jpg

:
'13 Mazda 5 Sport
Went on a 2am drive and washed the exterior while I was out.
17CAB57E-9756-4294-87DA-89633BFC8392.jpeg

Then I decided to do a little lens tint. I’m not very happy with how light the tint is though.
6B82DC39-F82F-4059-A6EA-BB51D2F251FC.jpeg

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
Here's an illustration I did of what I'd like to do to our 5! Our van is in need of new front struts (200,000km on original struts), so I'm thinking of upgrading the springs at the same time. I did some research and it looks like Mazda Tribute front springs would fit the 5's struts. This would certainly lift the front! My rear springs (off a CX7) are already showing signs of sagging, so I may add some coil spacers to help lift the rear a bit more. We'll have to see how well those CV axles hold up and if an alignment shop can get a proper alignment done.

mazda5-01.jpg