What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Practising social-distancing and a little self-isolation with baby due any moment now. Worked hard getting our new baby mobil-2019 CX-9 cleaned, protected, baby-ready, and looking proud for a new momma & papa.

Huge thank you to all the CX-9 and other contributors to this forum. Lots of purchases made because of you. It's been a year-long journey getting our '19 CX-9 GT. But we're very happy!

Today's "what I did" - focused on the interior after yesterday's exterior focus. Finally have some time to grab a few photos and post them. We've had some of these items installed for the last couple of weeks... the cargo liner and 3D MAXpider mats, very handy with a few Ikea trips and some winter weather since delivery in Feb.

Interior:

1. Aerospace 303 Protected ✅ - Why have I never used you before?! WOW! Love this.
2. Fortem Car Trunk Organizer - Baby isn't even here yet and we got stuff!
3. AmazonBasics Waterproof Car Seat Protector & Back Seat Storage Organizer installed.
4. Mazda Connect Upgrade from 70.00.021 to 70.00.352 - Makes a difference with Apple CarPlay.
5. MAXLINER MAXTRAY All Weather Cargo Liner Floor Mat Behind 2nd Row
6. 3D MAXpider L1MZ05701509 Black All-Weather Floor Mats
7. Ohuhu Silicone License Plate Frame 2-Pack install.
8. MVPOWER Baby Rear View Mirror
9. Drive Auto Products Car Seat Protector
10. Uppababy Mesa... 👶

View attachment 223551 View attachment 223552 View attachment 223553 View attachment 223554 View attachment 223555 View attachment 223556 View attachment 223557 View attachment 223558 View attachment 223559 View attachment 223560

Exterior:

1. LED reverse lights install. See @sm1ke LED install guide here
2. Washed it...but waiting till the weather warms to detail the exterior trim.

2 questions remain...

1) This is a lot of area to cover compared to my Mazda 3 Sport. Any recommendations on an orbital polisher? And polishing wax?

2) 2.5T oil filter. The PY8W-14-302 filter (made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) has been recently superseded by 1WPY-14-302 (made in Thailand). Bob Is the Oil Guy Thread

Grab em' at the local Mazda dealer? People are talking about "Made in Japan" vs. "Made in Thailand" - Ideas? Thoughts on these?

Great start! I have a nearly identical trunk organizer in my car and really like it. My sister's got the Uppababy Mesa and absolutely loves it, and so do I. Wish I splurged for that one. The base is ridiculously easy to install and remove, and the car seat is really nice.

1) I use a Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital/dual-action polisher and Lake Country pads with Blackfire One Step. One Step is a polishing agent that finishes down into a wax. I use a white pad and a fairly low arm speed with the polisher set to medium speed and it takes down swirl marks very well. When it dries, it wipes off really easily too, almost no dusting. Maybe this summer I'll document how I detail my car..

2) I believe both filters are fine to use. I think the Tokyo Roki filters are supposed to have a better build quality, but I don't think its big enough to make a noticeable difference. The last time I was at the local dealer (almost a year and a half ago), I bought four oil filters and they were all Tokyo Roki filters.

Removed the roof rack.....

Roof_Rack_006.JPG

Roof_Rack_021.JPG

Roof_Rack_023.JPG

Roof_Rack_025.JPG

Fourth time was the charm; here are the failures.....

September 20/2020: install DD front and rear LED's. Had hyperflash. FAIL!

September 29/2019: install plug-n-play decoders. The front decoders got rid of the hyperflash in the front circuit, but the rear decoders did not get rid of the hyperflash in the rear circuit. FAIL #2!

March 20/2020: installed JDM "no hyperflash" bulbs. When cold, I had no hyperflash, but as soon as they built up any heat, they would start hyperflashing. FAIL #3!

March 21/2020: installed Diode Dynamics load resistors and LED bulbs. WORKING FINE!

They are great bulbs. Currently stock in the headlights, but have XB's waiting to go in.

Headlights_014.JPG
Awesome. I would strongly recommend reconditioning the lights while your at it. What kelvin did you get? Looks like you got the 50w bulbs. Good bulbs. What kelvin did you get? Assuming 5800k to come as close as you can get to the fogs. What ballasts are you running? Interested to see the output differences.

Awesome. I would strongly recommend reconditioning the lights while your at it.
I do plan on wet sanding them at some point.

What kelvin did you get?
Low beams will be 5500k, fogs are 5700k.

Looks like you got the 50w bulbs.
35w.

What ballasts are you running?
Stock.

Interested to see the output differences.
I will post some images when I get time to take some. :)

Nice upgrade broncoboy.
how would you rate the improvement from your oem ones? (Visibility, range).
Thanks. To soon to tell. All my driving is during the day right now. I don't expect a big difference. The main reason for going LED is for the colour; I hate dirty yellow lighting. I will post up my findings when I find them. :)

It's that time of year again. The car hit 37,500 kms so I did an oil change, and while I had the car up on stands, I swapped my all-seasons over. I'll rinse her off later today, I think.

It's that time of year again. The car hit 37,500 kms so I did an oil change, and while I had the car up on stands, I swapped my all-seasons over. I'll rinse her off later today, I think.

You swapped to all seasons already? We’re expecting 20-25cm of snow next 2 days!

You swapped to all seasons already? We’re expecting 20-25cm of snow next 2 days!

Yeah I didn't know about that until midday yesterday 🤦‍♂️(swapped wheels on Tuesday). Eh, not too concerned, they are all-seasons after all. I'll just adjust my driving for the conditions. The drive in to work this morning wasn't bad at all, even with the slick roads from the freezing rain overnight. I'm just glad I didn't get dedicated summer tires lol.

Yeah I didn't know about that until midday yesterday 🤦‍♂️(swapped wheels on Tuesday). Eh, not too concerned, they are all-seasons after all. I'll just adjust my driving for the conditions. The drive in to work this morning wasn't bad at all, even with the slick roads from the freezing rain overnight. I'm just glad I didn't get dedicated summer tires lol.

It was just brutal on the commute home...glad my all-weather tires held up to the snowy/slushy roads!

It was just brutal on the commute home...glad my all-weather tires held up to the snowy/slushy roads!

Yeah it was really bad on the residential roads especially. Thankfully the drive home was much easier. The drive into work this morning wasn't bad at all.

Changed the front side marker lights to amber LEDs. Just a bit brighter than the stock ones.
led.jpg

If your arms are long enough, you can reach the sockets from the engine bay and won't have to go through the fender liner.

Last edited:
Hit it with some soap and rinsed it down. When the roads are cleaner I'll give it a real wash, then detail/paint correct/wax it for the summer.

IMG_20200407_172550.jpg

Finally changed the cabin filter.. it had a few large dried leaves lol! Already shook them off before this photo:
cabin.JPG

I just used a replacement "Fun Driving" brand from Amazon, one with activated carbon. Fitment was good.

Back