What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Did a little infotainment upgrade. So worth it.

Stereo_041.JPG

Full write-up is here.

10392806-536E-44D1-A239-337FA69B3CF3.jpeg

Had some extra LED bulbs from my Infiniti - which happened to fit both rear turn signal and backup lamps - much sharper - but turn signals now pulse/flash 50% faster.

I found a great little website that shows step by step pictures for accessing the bulbs. He has 1st and 2nd gen CX9s. And multiple topics. @ Paulstravelpictures.com

View attachment 309606

Had some extra LED bulbs from my Infiniti - which happened to fit both rear turn signal and backup lamps - much sharper - but turn signals now pulse/flash 50% faster.

I found a great little website that shows step by step pictures for accessing the bulbs. He has 1st and 2nd gen CX9s. And multiple topics. @ Paulstravelpictures.com
If the hyper flash doesn’t bother you then you can just leave it. If it does, you can always install some inline resistors. I have LEDs in there too and it makes it look much sharper.

View attachment 309606

I’ve got LED turn signals from Lasfit (I don’t like the company as they frequently steal IP from other companies, but had these before I learned of that) that have the resistor built in. They only hyperflash when it’s really hot and they are on for awhile. There’s a company on Amazon that knocks off even Lasfit and sells for https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

20220503_103908.jpg

I don't know if this counts, but I took home a dining table set yesterday. I did have to make a second trip to pick up 5 of the 6 chairs. I was able to put one chair in the passenger seat for the first trip with the table.

I pulled this photo off of Kijiji, so the chairs are different, but this is what the fully assembled table without the leaf installed looks like. I had to take the table legs off, and then partially disassemble them in order to fit everything in the back. Thankfully I had my drill and hex bits with me. It came apart quite easily.

Screenshot_20220504-152606_Chrome.jpg

Aaaand yesterday I took home a Cafe Kid trundle bed. Much easier to transport as I could leave the 2nd row up (didn't have to take the car seats out).

3130C8C7-2A31-4FD9-A4F7-282515BE19D3.jpeg
5E2A3ACC-6933-44A8-B39F-FEBE2931B237.jpeg
BE515CDC-EAE1-4F4A-A298-FC7613E64BD6.jpeg
I’m too broke to buy a real intake so I made my own. I’ll see how this goes first but I’ll eventually buy a legit intake.. maybe.. I just cut up the factory air box and made sure it was pointing in the wheel well direction. I used a oscillating tool to make the lines as straight as possible then sanded the cut. I have a K&N drop in panel filter. Don’t be too hard on me. Lol. I wanted the factory look but wanted the corksport sound. It sounds better, to me, than factory did and it was cheaper than a corksport. It’s basically the same concept as the corksport because it’s an open element in the engine bay. That’s the reason I opened up the box on the wheel well side so it doesn’t suck up too much hot air. But that’s what the intercooler is for so.. we’ll see how it goes. With everything buttoned up no one would be able to tell the box was cut up.

Attachments

• C35A878E-13CB-4561-AB6E-8DC9BAF1927F.jpeg
    C35A878E-13CB-4561-AB6E-8DC9BAF1927F.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
View attachment 309816View attachment 309819View attachment 309818I’m too broke to buy a real intake so I made my own. I’ll see how this goes first but I’ll eventually buy a legit intake.. maybe.. I just cut up the factory air box and made sure it was pointing in the wheel well direction. I used a oscillating tool to make the lines as straight as possible then sanded the cut. I have a K&N drop in panel filter. Don’t be too hard on me. Lol. I wanted the factory look but wanted the corksport sound. It sounds better, to me, than factory did and it was cheaper than a corksport. It’s basically the same concept as the corksport because it’s an open element in the engine bay. That’s the reason I opened up the box on the wheel well side so it doesn’t suck up too much hot air. But that’s what the intercooler is for so.. we’ll see how it goes. With everything buttoned up no one would be able to tell the box was cut up.
I like it! Much cheaper and probably pretty similar performance gains (that is being very minimal) with very similar sounds

I like it! Much cheaper and probably pretty similar performance gains (that is being very minimal) with very similar sounds
Yeah I didn’t even really think too much about the gains. I just wanted to hear the tiny turbo spool. But I guess there could minimal be gains to be made.

It’s too bad there isn’t too many things you can do to this SUV. Every other brand in its class has a decent aftermarket. The Explorer has a decent after market, so does the Highlander and Pilot. Ohh well, I still love the CX9.

Yeah I didn’t even really think too much about the gains. I just wanted to hear the tiny turbo spool. But I guess there could minimal be gains to be made.

It’s too bad there isn’t too many things you can do to this SUV. Every other brand in its class has a decent aftermarket. The Explorer has a decent after market, so does the Highlander and Pilot. Ohh well, I still love the CX9.
Yeah, I wouldn’t trade it in for the other current options. Explorer sells over 200k in a year in the US. 2nd Gen CX-9 is yet to hit 200k lifetime sales in the US. Not gonna be as much support for them unfortunately

Yeah, I wouldn’t trade it in for the other current options. Explorer sells over 200k in a year in the US. 2nd Gen CX-9 is yet to hit 200k lifetime sales in the US. Not gonna be as much support for them unfortunately
Yeah there wouldn’t be a high rate or return for a company to manufacture and R&D parts for an SUV that doesn’t sell a lot of units. According to rumors, this second gen is almost at the end of its life cycle. It would’ve been nice though if corksport gave us some lowering springs or something since they’re pretty much the only company dedicated to making things for the Mazda community. Theres coilovers, but that’s a bit too expensive. Ohh well.

View attachment 309816View attachment 309819View attachment 309818I’m too broke to buy a real intake so I made my own. I’ll see how this goes first but I’ll eventually buy a legit intake.. maybe.. I just cut up the factory air box and made sure it was pointing in the wheel well direction. I used a oscillating tool to make the lines as straight as possible then sanded the cut. I have a K&N drop in panel filter. Don’t be too hard on me. Lol. I wanted the factory look but wanted the corksport sound. It sounds better, to me, than factory did and it was cheaper than a corksport. It’s basically the same concept as the corksport because it’s an open element in the engine bay. That’s the reason I opened up the box on the wheel well side so it doesn’t suck up too much hot air. But that’s what the intercooler is for so.. we’ll see how it goes. With everything buttoned up no one would be able to tell the box was cut up.

Love the initiative you took! I'll bet it sounds good. With that said, I think you're actually pulling in warmer air than you would be with the stock setup..

The factory air intake is designed to pull the turbulent cool air from the area in front of the radiator through the hood latch, which is near the "snorkel" opening. The rest of the intake is sealed, so almost all of the air comes from that area in front of the radiator. I think it's well-designed for cool air, but it is very restrictive (small snorkel opening, smaller intake plumbing) to dampen overall engine noise.

Cutting that hole open in the box and switching to a less restrictive panel filter reduces restriction, allowing for a small change in overall power and (IMO) better acoustics, but you're now just pulling in the warmer, less turbulent ambient air in the engine bay. You might be able to introduce cooler air into the engine bay by drilling some holes or slots in the black plastic bumper "vent" just above the fog light housing, but I don't know how much of an effect that would have on drag. It would definitely increase risk of hydrolocking the engine, because small drops of water or misting from going through a puddle can be easily pulled through the less restrictive filter and into the air intake, but that risk is a non-issue if you're in an area with minimal rainfall.

You might be able to introduce cooler air into the engine bay by drilling some holes or slots in the black plastic bumper "vent" just above the fog light housing
The 4Runner has a stock CAI kind of. It pulls from the wheel well and has louvers on the front side of the wheel well liner. I assume that would be less drag and accomplish almost the same thing while also minimizing the chance of water getting in. Maybe try that?

This deserves its own thread. And i love the DIY approach. It looks like he kept the snorkel, so some cool air would still come in and mix, but it wouldn’t be much because it won’t be sucked in.

But most product on the market (corksport, etc) are the same. They are basically ram-air intake instead of cold air intake. So the OP solution is just as good as these products.

My 2006 mazda 6 had a panel on the side of the intake that would open up past 4500 rpm. People used to jam it open as a similar DIY solution.

Love the initiative you took! I'll bet it sounds good. With that said, I think you're actually pulling in warmer air than you would be with the stock setup..

The factory air intake is designed to pull the turbulent cool air from the area in front of the radiator through the hood latch, which is near the "snorkel" opening. The rest of the intake is sealed, so almost all of the air comes from that area in front of the radiator. I think it's well-designed for cool air, but it is very restrictive (small snorkel opening, smaller intake plumbing) to dampen overall engine noise.

Cutting that hole open in the box and switching to a less restrictive panel filter reduces restriction, allowing for a small change in overall power and (IMO) better acoustics, but you're now just pulling in the warmer, less turbulent ambient air in the engine bay. You might be able to introduce cooler air into the engine bay by drilling some holes or slots in the black plastic bumper "vent" just above the fog light housing, but I don't know how much of an effect that would have on drag. It would definitely increase risk of hydrolocking the engine, because small drops of water or misting from going through a puddle can be easily pulled through the less restrictive filter and into the air intake, but that risk is a non-issue if you're in an area with minimal rainfall.
Yeah. I actually thought about that and took that into account but then I thought, the corksport was designed to be fully exposed to engine bay heat. I thought of putting vents in the wheel well because my moms Ford Freestar has vents in the wheel well to pull cold air. The factory snorkel is still there so I’m hoping it’s still doing it’s job. But it was mostly for the sound because it’s alway fun to hear the turbo. It’s 60 degrees f year round where I live so hopefully heat isn’t too much of an issue.

I like it! Though I'm not so adventurous to try this in case we sell in the near future (who checks nowadays any hoo?)
Care to post a video with the sounds while driving, windows up and down?

Jb4 makes decent stuff it looks like .. they have an intake for the M3T though, not for the CX's.

I like it! Though I'm not so adventurous to try this in case we sell in the near future (who checks nowadays any hoo?)

Jb4 makes decent stuff it looks like .. they have an intake for the M3T though, not for the CX's.
I’ll see if I can get a video by a wall or something. I really don’t hear it unless I’m on it under load or going up hill or something. It sounds way more pronounced than it did stock so I love that.

As far as if I sell it? Depends on what the new CX-80 or CX-90 will look like. But idk yet. I like that the car is almost paid off. Haha. And I’ve never had issues with the car. People still complement the car as if it hasn’t been around for 7 years.

I’ve heard of the JB4 stuff but never really looked into it so not sure what it does or if it’s worth it.

I’ve heard of the JB4 stuff but never really looked into it so not sure what it does or if it’s worth it.
They offer a chip tune for the 2.5T. 20% increase in HP and torque with dyno results to prove it. I think @sm1ke is the only one on here with it so far

Here’s a quick video I shot before coming home. It isn’t too loud because the windows are up. I did another video with the windows down but all I heard from the video was wind noise. If it sounds like that with the windows up, it must sound louder outside. The turbo spool is very high pitched so I’m not sure if my camera was able to pick it up. I can definitely hear it though. The blow off is the one that’s very pronounced.

Last edited:
Back