What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I don't care about winter protection. I care about cold start protection. When cold (i.e. ambient temp, even in summer), even 0w oil is too thick to properly flow through bearings and protect engine parts, like it does when it's at operating temperature. But 0w oil is the thinnest you can get at ambient temperature, so it has the best chance of protecting metal parts during those first few engine revolutions in the morning or when first started each day.

This is why I run 0w oils in all my vehicles, in my Integra specifically for over 10 years now (0w-30 Mobil1 in that car and my Miata). If Mazda had a 0w-30 oil I would use that. But they don't so I use their 0w-20.

This is also why I don't let my cars idle for many minutes to get them warmed up in the morning. I start it, wait about 30 seconds, then drive easily until the car has reached operating temp. Proper operating temp is critical to engine reliability, and I want it to get there as quickly as possible. Driving normally and easily instead of just idling is the quickest way to get there.

I don't care about winter protection. I care about cold start protection. When cold (i.e. ambient temp, even in summer), even 0w oil is too thick to properly flow through bearings and protect engine parts, like it does when it's at operating temperature. But 0w oil is the thinnest you can get at ambient temperature, so it has the best chance of protecting metal parts during those first few engine revolutions in the morning or when first started each day.

This is why I run 0w oils in all my vehicles, in my Integra specifically for over 10 years now (0w-30 Mobil1 in that car and my Miata). If Mazda had a 0w-30 oil I would use that. But they don't so I use their 0w-20.

This is also why I don't let my cars idle for many minutes to get them warmed up in the morning. I start it, wait about 30 seconds, then drive easily until the car has reached operating temp. Proper operating temp is critical to engine reliability, and I want it to get there as quickly as possible. Driving normally and easily instead of just idling is the quickest way to get there.
Ha, if you believe only the 0W oil can protect the engine better in cold start, how are those 2.5T owners gonna do with recommended 5W-30 oil? ;)

But then if I were you I‘d just use any reputable 0W-30 oil trying to stop the oil consumption. Or use the latest SP / GF-6 standard oil such as Idemitsu SP / GF-6 0W-20 oil which is supposed to make 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer life.

Oil consumption is not good to the environment, and is not good to the emission devices especially the expensive catalytic converter. I’d try anything to reduce or stop it without expensive engine repair.

0W-20 is for maximum MPG. Probably to align with the government's push for a clean environment. 5W-30 is still very thin oil. Most engine wear is cranking and first start up when most of the oil drained into the pan over night. I use Castrol 0W-20, and the oil molecules stick really well to metal. Even the door knob. It stays so slippery. I think there is minimal wear on our motors at start up with synthetic oil. Reading the reviews about the oil change kit, it will have the Thai filter which is a good filter.

Picked up my new 2021 GT Monday, washed it when I got home. Did a complete exterior detail on Tuesday. Yesterday I did the interior, ordered a set of Husky Weatherbeater floor liners and a retractable cargo cover. I don’t let the dealer prep monkeys put their paws on it. Today I programmed the Homelink and went over some of the other features. Monday I have a date with my protective film installer to get some Xpel front end protection.
Still waiting for Amazon to get the SD navigation cards for the 2021’s.....at a fraction of the price the dealers charge for them.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll actually get a chance to drive it.....😅

Wife went out a couple of days ago and was getting some groceries long due. She called me immediately saying that there‘s a yellow warning light and asked me why. I just put in a new OEM Mazda High Performance battery in on the other day so it couldn’t be anything battery related. She said she actually saw the warning light last week when she drove the CX-5 visiting a friend but forgot to mentioned it. I went out and checked, it’s:
7E3F9E2B-3EF9-405E-A1E3-06F3B7DE5013.jpeg

I was confused a bit at first as this’s the first time on 5+ years of the ownership on our 2016 CX-5 I saw this warning light lit. Then my mind was coming back and figured out this’s the TPMS warning light, and I went ahead reset the TPMS with the button and let her go. The light has never come back since the reset.

Yesterday I checked the tire pressure long overdue. I knew the pressure will be low for all tires especially the weather is getting a lot colder recently. But the temperature drop which would cause low tire pressure on all tires has never triggered the TPMS before, as the way system designed. 3 tires were 30 psi +/- 1, but the right front was 26. That’s why the TPMS warning. I added air to 39.5 psi for all tires which is the optimal tire pressure on my CX-5 for even wear so far with 41,820 miles. The pressure on spare had dropped to 42 psi as usual, I added air to 60.5 psi.

So the TPMS worked as intended. :)

Of course, there is a reason for that. Keep an eye on it for pressure loss and figure out why.
Yes. It can’t be a nail as it’s been 2 weeks since the TPMS warning light lit until my wife mentioned it. The factory Toyo A23 tires are 5½ years old, I’ll replace them any time with a new set of Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tires which now are sitting in the garage.

Picked up my new 2021 GT Monday, washed it when I got home. Did a complete exterior detail on Tuesday. Yesterday I did the interior, ordered a set of Husky Weatherbeater floor liners and a retractable cargo cover. I don’t let the dealer prep monkeys put their paws on it. Today I programmed the Homelink and went over some of the other features. Monday I have a date with my protective film installer to get some Xpel front end protection.
Still waiting for Amazon to get the SD navigation cards for the 2021’s.....at a fraction of the price the dealers charge for them.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll actually get a chance to drive it.....😅
show us some pics of your new family member ....I did the same....I did not want anyone to touch it....not even a wash...dealer and the one sales woman was super, very honest and compliant....rare these days....this took some work also. .I weeded out about 7 dealers...going well over a 1 hour away for my cx-5....

show us some pics of your new family member ....I did the same....I did not want anyone to touch it....not even a wash...dealer and the one sales woman was super, very honest and compliant....rare these days....this took some work also. .I weeded out about 7 dealers...going well over a 1 hour away for my cx-5....

Got the front end done in Xpel this week, next the front windows in tint. Put on splash guards a few days ago. Husky floorliners should be here this weekend. Picked up a retractable cargo cover from Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 342
Hey, new guy here. First post. 2020 Grand Touring Reserve bought it on 10-2-20. Purchased rubber Mazda cargo tray, Smartliner floor mats (similar to Weathertech), a retractable cargo cover and a leather key fob cover. I had the dealer install a clear mask as well. Today, I took it to the grocery store (parked far away from door dingers) then took the long way home for a 'varied speed break in period' kind of drive. I've got 425 out of 600 miles. Just following the break in rules, nothing too crazy. I'm going to take it up in the mountains tomorrow to get the 600 miles and introduce the turbo to some mountain passes. I've already done one canyon drive, love the handling.

Back