What have you done to your CX-5 today?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Just thought I would follow up on this sordid tale. The other party accepted liability. The damage is a small dent and deep scratches that broke the paint at the leading edge of the front passenger door, about 12 inches high and 6-8 inches in length. Maybe small damage to the trailing edge of the front fender. No other apparent damage.

The body shop said this is a very hard paint to match, 3 stage he called it. Snowflake white pearl mica cost an extra $400, less than soul red or machine gray, but still...

The job is running over $3000 so far. In order to match the paint, the door gets repaired, which includes removing the trim, and lots of one use only parts including the chrome waist molding. The fender has to be removed to be repainted because it is next to the door. There are a number of one use parts on this piece also. The hood has to be blended to match the fender.

The headlight has to be removed to get to the fender, the grill has to be removed to get to the fender. All sensors have to be recalibrated to the steering angle sensor by the dealer. I worry about that.

The PPF on the fender and hood have been stripped and have to be reapplied.

The rear door and rear quarter panel also have to be blended...

My wife started getting all these alerts from My Mazda. AFS malfunction MRCC malfunction parking sensor malfunction BSM malfunction, as the car started coming apart.:(

This new paint is pretty, but it is expensive. I might have the car back in another two weeks. In the meantime, my wife has said she really likes driving my WRX now....

The shop is a high quality repair shop that has the reputation for doing things the right way, and repairs exotic cars like Ferrari, Maseratti and Lambo, in addition to Porsches. Most of the cars are more pedestrian like the Japanese brands, the Korean brands, and domestics. They do really good work, but it comes at a price.
Sorry to hear the incident. Nothing can be compared to the factory paint.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Just thought I would follow up on this sordid tale. The other party accepted liability. The damage is a small dent and deep scratches that broke the paint at the leading edge of the front passenger door, about 12 inches high and 6-8 inches in length. Maybe small damage to the trailing edge of the front fender. No other apparent damage.

The body shop said this is a very hard paint to match, 3 stage he called it. Snowflake white pearl mica cost an extra $400, less than soul red or machine gray, but still...

The job is running over $3000 so far. In order to match the paint, the door gets repaired, which includes removing the trim, and lots of one use only parts including the chrome waist molding. The fender has to be removed to be repainted because it is next to the door. There are a number of one use parts on this piece also. The hood has to be blended to match the fender.

The headlight has to be removed to get to the fender, the grill has to be removed to get to the fender. All sensors have to be recalibrated to the steering angle sensor by the dealer. I worry about that.

The PPF on the fender and hood have been stripped and have to be reapplied.

The rear door and rear quarter panel also have to be blended...

My wife started getting all these alerts from My Mazda. AFS malfunction MRCC malfunction parking sensor malfunction BSM malfunction, as the car started coming apart.:(

This new paint is pretty, but it is expensive. I might have the car back in another two weeks. In the meantime, my wife has said she really likes driving my WRX now....

The shop is a high quality repair shop that has the reputation for doing things the right way, and repairs exotic cars like Ferrari, Maseratti and Lambo, in addition to Porsches. Most of the cars are more pedestrian like the Japanese brands, the Korean brands, and domestics. They do really good work, but it comes at a price.

Happy to hear it's getting fixed by their insurance. I wouldn't worry too much about the recalibration - cross that bridge when you get there. Sounds like you're in good hands with the paint and body work. I had to have the driver's side front door, both rear doors, both rear quarter panels and the rear bumper repainted on my MGM CX-9 about 2 years ago. I believe the shop I used followed a similar process on the tri-stage paint, and it came out 99% perfect. I say 99% because to my eye, it looks perfect, but I know it isn't possible to respray the car the exact same way the factory did.

Anyway, hope you get the car back soon!

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Hey, Chris is back, happy new year!! What happened to you?
I'm getting my car ready for sale. I'm thinking Alfa Stelvio, second choice is CX5 GTR. I haven't checked them out yet.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Hey, Chris is back, happy new year!! What happened to you?
I'm getting my car ready for sale. I'm thinking Alfa Stelvio, second choice is CX5 GTR. I haven't checked them out yet.
I believe Chris :cool: now enjoys more on flying 🛩️ than driving his CX-5 🚗

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Painting 5 panels to blend paint from just one door?? Seems like that shop isn’t that experienced. After watching Paint Society videos on YouTube, they should be able to blend the rear door and fender, maybe into the hood, at the most.

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
Changed my oil at 35K miles. Used my new thumb-screw conversion to reattach the panel. Actually, I used it to take the screw out too. Just pressed on the 3D printed head with the screw still in place, then unscrewed it by hand. Success on the 1st iteration of the design :)

1611952503249.png

Davidiot

Ballistic Reentry Vehicle
:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
Slid obliquely into a curb. Not hard (only visible damage are a few unsightly scrapes on both passenger side aluminum wheels) ... but apparently hard enough to fire off the passenger side side-curtain airbag (blowing up the headliner in the process).

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Wow. That must of been a scary moment. Good that nothing else happened.

I need some help with the airbag lamp. I have removed my driver seat to look at a creek and also I have removed the steering wheel airbag, to take care of my paddle switches.
I did all this without battery connected. At the end I stil have a blinking airbag light.
What can I do about this? I have tried removing the battery, but that is not enough.

:
Mazda CX-9 Signature
Wow. That must of been a scary moment. Good that nothing else happened.

I need some help with the airbag lamp. I have removed my driver seat to look at a creek and also I have removed the steering wheel airbag, to take care of my paddle switches.
I did all this without battery connected. At the end I stil have a blinking airbag light.
What can I do about this? I have tried removing the battery, but that is not enough.
Fuse? Recheck the plugs?
Maybe try reset like this? https://itstillruns.com/reset-mazda-srs-light-5503295.html

:
17 CX-5
Was this the Tire Rack ASAP service?

Tire Rack + a local mobile installer. The ASAP service isn't in my area yet.

I used Al's Mobile Tires out of Miami for the install. Ordered the tires late Thursday, they were delivered Saturday to the installer, and installed Monday. 0 complaints, and the installer was excellent. Prompt, polite, and professional. The truck they came in is set up for mounting, balancing, and nitro fills.

Last edited:
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
We drove our CX5 back 7 hours yesterday from Gatlinburg TN to the Memphis area. Upper 30's and rainy conditions in Gatlinburg, then below freezing most of the way back, tons of freezing fog, and occasional sleet and snow. We got back just as the snow started falling at home, got the car into the garage, and now we watch out the window as 6+ inches of snow piles up on the ground. Most snow we've had since 1988.

Amazingly, for the entire trip to Gatlinburg and back again, there were no traffic jams on highways at any point. Also didn't really slip anywhere. I think having brand new tires helped. We stayed in a cabin up 500+ feet above the main elevations of Gatlinburg, with some super steep roads, and our FWD CX5 didn't miss a beat.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
⋯ Also didn't really slip anywhere. I think having brand new tires helped. We stayed in a cabin up 500+ feet above the main elevations of Gatlinburg, with some super steep roads, and our FWD CX5 didn't miss a beat.
What kind of tires do you have?