What have you done to your CX-5 today?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Fumoto valve FTW. Google it.
Fumoto drain valve once installed, extends into the oil pan so that it is not flush and could allow for build up of unwanted particles inside the pan. The oil drain speed is restricted, and a fair amount of oil can’t be drained out completely.

Above is a very informative link about Fumoto drain valve although this "Mythbusters: Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve" is for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi:
NateCal said:
Myth #1- The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve, once installed, extends into the oil pan so that it is not flush and could allow for build up of unwanted particles inside the pan.

So as far as Myth #1 goes, it is:
The Fumoto valve extends aprox 1/8" to 3/16" into the oil pan.

Myth #2- Due to Myth #1, metal shavings and other particles will remain in the oil pan when using the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve to change your engine oil.

Plausible!

Also this observation is consistent with the statement I saw for the CX-5 with a Fumoto drain valve:
NateCal said:
To me, that says the 1/8" to 3/16" of the valve extended inside the pan is NOT stopping the oil from bringing all the crap out with it when it is draining.

However, I cleaned my oil pan again, and planned to remove the Fumoto valve and flush a full quart of fresh oil through just to see what else would come out without the valve installed.

When I removed the valve I was kinda of shocked by the amount of oil that was still in the oil pan. There was probably a good 10 second stream of oil that came out once the valve was removed.

Then I ran the full quart of fresh oil through (without the valve installed). I then repeated the process of carefully dumping the oil, leaving the crap behind, to examine the oil pan. And the was NOTHING. The pan was clean as a whistle. Everything came out when I initially drained the oil using the valve. Even with the little oil that was trapped in the pan by the Fumoto valve.

nutcore said:
thank you for some actual evidence Nate. It's good to know that Fomoto lies to your face claiming that the threads don't extend into the pan.
Q. Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A. No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
My number #1 choice is a Base/Sport Alfa Romeo Stelvio, second is a Turbo CX5. GTR or Carbon.
I would like a TI Sport AWD Alfa, but they are way out of my budget.
Maybe a 21' Sprint(new Base name) AWD.
There are huge discounts on these cars, I mean over 20-25% off MSRP huge. I'm shooting for something around $33-34k.
I'm in love with those red seats/interior. There is a huge wheels gap, no paddles, that I will have to take care.

Took her for an oil change. Got to take care of my girl. I was a little less than impressed with the dealership though. For $100 oil change ya think they would have thrown up that little courtesy reminder sticker..nope. Sigh. Can’t get good service these days it seems.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Took her for an oil change. Got to take care of my girl. I was a little less than impressed with the dealership though. For $100 oil change ya think they would have thrown up that little courtesy reminder sticker..nope. Sigh. Can’t get good service these days it seems.
Your dealer did the right thing. Your CX-5 equipped with a “dynamic” and real-time oil change reminder right in your dash, and hopefully the oil change schedule in maintenance monitor has been reset to 7,500 miles or 100% oil life remaining with Flexible OCI.

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white

You paid $100 for an oil change?

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
That dealership does not have service coupons?

We need more information WHICH Canadian dealer to answer that question.

I did randomly check three:
-no current oil change special

-no service/parts special page found, only new vehicle offers

-no service/parts special page found, only new vehicle offers

FYI most times if you do find a service special at ANY manufacture dealer in your state/providence, the other dealers will pricematch or honor the coupon/promotion; I do it all the time. Just don't try to price match the Ford dealer to the Mazda dealer -- you will have a bad time. Oh this price matching also works great also for online parts sales by dealers (even out of state ones).

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
It reached 50 degrees today. So I did what any normal person would do, washed and waxed her.

Car11421.jpg

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Not actually mine, one of my stepson's. Did the transmission fluid drain/refill, new brake rotors/pads at all four corners, new plugs, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, rotated the wheels/tires. All in including a drive to warm the transmission up before the fluid change and another drive to bed in the brakes, about eight hours total.

:
Soul Red Mazda CX5
New headlights came in!! Now I just gotta get these babies installed! Not looking forward to dropping that bumper though. 🙄

Attachments

• 20210110_224553.jpg
    20210110_224553.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 24
:
Virginia
:
2021 CX-5 White
WHAT WAS DONE TO MY CX-5
Technically my wife’s 21 Signature with 94 miles on it...sideswiped by someone who said they did not see me. 40 mph on a suburban road. I think the snowflake pearl white mica is going to be a b**** to paint...
Just thought I would follow up on this sordid tale. The other party accepted liability. The damage is a small dent and deep scratches that broke the paint at the leading edge of the front passenger door, about 12 inches high and 6-8 inches in length. Maybe small damage to the trailing edge of the front fender. No other apparent damage.

The body shop said this is a very hard paint to match, 3 stage he called it. Snowflake white pearl mica cost an extra $400, less than soul red or machine gray, but still...

The job is running over $3000 so far. In order to match the paint, the door gets repaired, which includes removing the trim, and lots of one use only parts including the chrome waist molding. The fender has to be removed to be repainted because it is next to the door. There are a number of one use parts on this piece also. The hood has to be blended to match the fender.

The headlight has to be removed to get to the fender, the grill has to be removed to get to the fender. All sensors have to be recalibrated to the steering angle sensor by the dealer. I worry about that.

The PPF on the fender and hood have been stripped and have to be reapplied.

The rear door and rear quarter panel also have to be blended...

My wife started getting all these alerts from My Mazda. AFS malfunction MRCC malfunction parking sensor malfunction BSM malfunction, as the car started coming apart.:(

This new paint is pretty, but it is expensive. I might have the car back in another two weeks. In the meantime, my wife has said she really likes driving my WRX now....

The shop is a high quality repair shop that has the reputation for doing things the right way, and repairs exotic cars like Ferrari, Maseratti and Lambo, in addition to Porsches. Most of the cars are more pedestrian like the Japanese brands, the Korean brands, and domestics. They do really good work, but it comes at a price.

Last edited: