What have you done to your CX-5 today?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Replaced the old engine mount which tore and leaked (184000mile). $50 new from ebay and less than 1 hr said and done. Going to try and fill and cage the old one with urethane.
You can do it within 1 hour for such job? Nice!

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
3 nuts and 3 bolts , 17mm in size. Dealer would probably charge $400 said and done. And likely convince customer to replace something else that is "worn out".
I changed leaking rear liquid engine mount on my VW before. The engine needs to be lifted a bit, and the space is very tight. It took me entire afternoon, and I was 20 years younger!

On the other hand, the front rubber engine mount on my 1998 Honda CR-V was so much easier to replace it.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I changed leaking rear liquid engine mount on my VW before. The engine needs to be lifted a bit, and the space is very tight. It took me entire afternoon, and I was 20 years younger!

On the other hand, the front rubber engine mount on my 1998 Honda CR-V was so much easier to replace it.
Yea the rear motor mount is a tight fit, esp with AWD. When I put my poly on I had to jack the engine engine so much. It probably would have made more sense to undo the other mountts given the difficulty

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have just replaced the lower rear and it went easy. 2wd though. Man, my car shakes like crazy between 60-80. Even the gas pedal vibrates many times. This motor mount was so soft, that I could move the center metal bushing with my fingers.
Did you have any issues with the transmission mount? I haven't even seen it yet how it looks.

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
I have just replaced the lower rear and it went easy. 2wd though. Man, my car shakes like crazy between 60-80. Even the gas pedal vibrates many times. This motor mount was so soft, that I could move the center metal bushing with my fingers.
Did you have any issues with the transmission mount? I haven't even seen it yet how it looks.
how long did it take for fwd? did you replace with oem or corksport?

the corksport website makes the removal and install easy looking hehe.

how difficult is it to install for awd?

im planning to fill mine with poly urethane after i take care of some maintenance items

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
I washed my 2014 CX5 and Polished it with NuFinish polymer protectant. Looks so pretty new. Ed

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Oil change yesterday at dealership for my 2017 GT. I get it done every six months with the very low amount of driving I do especially these stay indoor days. Also got the firmware updated. Every other oil change is free with dealer. However, they recommend, as always, wheel alignment for $99 and $70 for cabin filter replacement, which is ridiculous. I declined. I have 13300 miles on vehicle and it would be my third alignment since I bought the CX-5. Arriving today, the cabin filter cost me $8.97 plus tax from Amazon (EPAUTO CPJ6X). It takes more time to empty my glove box than replace the filter.

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
It didn't take long, ~45 minutes. I have got it from Rockauto. Since it failed so early(65k) I didn't want to get the factory again.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Oil change yesterday at dealership for my 2017 GT. I get it done every six months with the very low amount of driving I do especially these stay indoor days. Also got the firmware updated. Every other oil change is free with dealer. However, they recommend, as always, wheel alignment for $99 and $70 for cabin filter replacement, which is ridiculous. I declined. I have 13300 miles on vehicle and it would be my third alignment since I bought the CX-5. Arriving today, the cabin filter cost me $8.97 plus tax from Amazon (EPAUTO CPJ6X). It takes more time to empty my glove box than replace the filter.
Many places (like brake check) offer a "lifetime" alignment that usually cost less than two alignments. Then you just go in when you think you need it or if you got new tires or something

I changed the oil and filter to mobiil 1 and Castrol high mileage synthetic, LED daylight running light.

I purchased a BluDriver OBD Live engine monitor and DTC scanner.

Went back out today to install some of the cut-off foam from the deck cover around the subwoofer and under the too-long bolt until I get the bolt cut shorter. I snapped a pic of the installed tire this time. It would be nice to be able to get the 185/70R17 regular driving tire that's available in Mexico for the CX-5. There is definitely room for it.

View attachment 225214

I'm in awe of everything that you did lol, the spare tire is my goal too. I hate that little crumb that really isn't even a donut. I have a sub in the back but not like this, I would love to know what you used for this so I can get right of the box that currently takes up to much room.

Well lets see, I have a 2015 that is pushing 68k so this week I took it the dealer to pick up a new battery. The old one was getting super sluggish and was leaking non stop. Shortly after that it had its tires rotated only to drive a few miles home and picked up a nail that the tire place said couldnt be removed due to the angle and the fact that the tread is at the point of no return. 40k on my current tires aren't bad in my book especially with 3 round trips from CO to CA in the past 4 years. Yokohama YK-HTX for the win! I honestly dont have the money for new tires at this time so I went and got a second opinion today. (It made my light come on which to be honest I never knew worked because its never came on period) The other place pulled the nail out and no issue it never pierced it so now its about a sensor going bad/dead. Outside of all of that I just drove her and jammed out on my way home from everything. :)

Last edited:

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I just had a big nail removed and patched a few day ago, for free, at Americas Tire, since they have installed it and they offer this warranty. They also had to balance my tires also for free, due to the bad vibration, that one of the wheels had.
This car is fun and I still like it a lot, but there are just to many issues propping up. Next job, needs new front control arms and the two outer tie rods(all four rubber boots are torn), than of course an alignment.
I have just replaced all four brakes and all four struts/shocks. All this, at 65k miles. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it, but there not much out there what I like. Maybe the Alfa.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

Next job, needs new front control arms and the two outer tie rods(all four rubber boots are torn), than of course an alignment.
I was surprised those rubber boots on your 2014 CX-5 are already torn at 6+ years and 65K miles, especially in a nice California environment. Those ball joint and tie rod rubber boots were torn on my ‘98 Honda CR-V only after 20 years and 180K miles of service under hot and freezing North Texas severe environment!

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I just had a big nail removed and patched a few day ago, for free, at Americas Tire, since they have installed it and they offer this warranty. They also had to balance my tires also for free, due to the bad vibration, that one of the wheels had.
This car is fun and I still like it a lot, but there are just to many issues propping up. Next job, needs new front control arms and the two outer tie rods(all four rubber boots are torn), than of course an alignment.
I have just replaced all four brakes and all four struts/shocks. All this, at 65k miles. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it, but there not much out there what I like. Maybe the Alfa.
I was surprised those rubber boots on your 2014 CX-5 are already torn at 6+ years and 65K miles, especially in a nice California environment. Those ball joint and tie rod rubber boots were torn on my ‘98 Honda CR-V only after 20 years and 180K miles of service under hot and freezing North Texas severe environment!
To be fair, tibimakai's car is lowered quite aggressively on CorkSport lowering springs for the 1st gen. When you change the suspension geometry that much, certain parts will wear much faster than intended, which means that you eventually replace the worn parts with aftermarket bits that are designed to handle the modified suspension. Can't blame the car for that!

I had an AWD IS250 that I lowered 2.5-3" on coilovers. In the following couple of months, I bought and preemptively replaced the OEM upper control arms, toe arms, etc. with aftermarket parts designed for lowered cars like mine. I drove it for a good 3 years without having to replace anything (and I drove it fairly aggressively, too).

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I replaced it with a cork sport poly mount a few months ago, but because I want my torque at the wheels, not lost to twisting.. nothing seemed to be wrong with it