What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I have a bright bulb in the hatch door but the light gets blocked because of the location.

Redbaron how did you add a 2nd light overhead? I might do that.
Just to throw this out for you, others have added LED strips (with On/Off switches) back there plugged into the Always Hot 12v outlet.

I don't know if your year has such an outlet, but this would be a much easier install.

I've not done any of this (except for swapping out the hatch door light) because I have motion-sensor floodlights on my garage and I back the car up to them when I pull in...I got all the light I need. Absent that, I'd be looking to augment the lighting as you are.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
After installing some 3.5 midrange speakers and realizing how much of an improvement they made I decided to add some tweeters.
I saw these at Wal-Mart amd for about $8 they are ok. The sensitivity is pretty high at 97db but they have View attachment 223744 a 12db/octave crossover so they add a nice sizzle but aren't overly bright.
They had a pigtail already attached so I just soldered that to the CPU plugs I used for the interface.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Yeah the outlet might be ok but I like something without wires. I'd possibly use a battery powered light but ideally I would like another set of those map lights like the OEMs. It's always easy to find the switch-which I like. I could have a RED for night, too.

If I could wire it direct to 12vdc it wouldn't have that annoying time out.

Just to throw this out for you, others have added LED strips (with On/Off switches) back there plugged into the Always Hot 12v outlet.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I agree, concealed wiring always looks less "cobbled."

And one wonders the value of that timeout in the world of LEDs.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Mostly for camping I guess. I need the outlet for the cooler or 120vac inverter and having a wire there might get in the road so...

I camped out in it last summer and the interior lights won't turn on unless you open a door. If you leave a door open then they time out and won't turn on again until you close ALL the doors. Then after 20min they turn off again and you have to open a door to turn them back on.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
What are you guys buying with your stimulus check? Probably going to finish out my ultra racing chassis bars (2 mid braces)

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I've been thinking about putting together a flight simulator PC. i bought a 4k TV and a HDMI 4k adapter and it works as long as I only have one monitor but it seems to have a tendency to freeze after a while. I might get another tower for this.

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
CCDD76A7-2D71-4550-A8CB-86635687F69B.jpeg

I installed a megan racing strut tower bar. took it for a short drive and i want to say that side to side transitions feel better, maybe a little bit of confirmation bias(?). a solid bar would have been preferable but this was cheap and in stock.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I've been thinking about putting together a flight simulator PC. i bought a 4k TV and a HDMI 4k adapter and it works as long as I only have one monitor but it seems to have a tendency to freeze after a while. I might get another tower for this.
I have a yoke, rudder pdel, radio stack, multi panel, and throttle quadrant. As a commercial pilot I can use it for instrument practice (although I rarely do)

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Simulators seem to be excellent for that. I wonder why state DOT s don't use them for driving tests and teaching.

I have been looking at a CH yoke/ w most of the other things combined. The rudder pedals are on there too for about $200.

I have seen setups with 3 monitors but I haven't figured that out. I think it would be good to have one monitor for the instrument panel.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Simulators seem to be excellent for that. I wonder why state DOT s don't use them for driving tests and teaching.
The state of Virginia was (is?) working on them. I was in the DMV maybe 5 years ago and University of Virginia had a beta simulator there, with a student asking folks to test it out and share their impressions. I gave it a shot. It was OK, somewhat "clumsy."

I would not trust them to be a perfect evaluator of someone's skills, but given how low the bar is set in order to justify issuing a license, I'd say it was ":good enough."

:
CX5 GT-R
Decided to buy a Corksport Short Ram Intake. Allegedly good for 8-12whp from 4000rpm to redline, supported via dyno graph, as well as allowing more audible turbo noises. Might be just what I need to edge out that Mach 1 a little longer, lol!

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Decided to buy a Corksport Short Ram Intake. Allegedly good for 8-12whp from 4000rpm to redline, supported via dyno graph, as well as allowing more audible turbo noises. Might be just what I need to edge out that Mach 1 a little longer, lol!
I really wish they would build something to integrate with the OEM "snorkel" air intake. The snorkel actually does pull air in from the front grille area, while the CorkSport intake is just pulling ambient air in from around the filter. I believe the increase in performance is a combined result of fewer bends in the larger diameter piping, the less dense filter media and the increase in the filter's surface area (sucks air in from all around the cone vs. through a 8x10"(?) panel filter).

Still love the intake, but I know the product can be improved in some ways.

:
CX5 GT-R
I really wish they would build something to integrate with the OEM "snorkel" air intake. The snorkel actually does pull air in from the front grille area, while the CorkSport intake is just pulling ambient air in from around the filter. I believe the increase in performance is a combined result of fewer bends in the larger diameter piping, the less dense filter media and the increase in the filter's surface area (sucks air in from all around the cone vs. through a 8x10"(?) panel filter).

Still love the intake, but I know the product can be improved in some ways.
Supposedly they are looking at a box that will block most bay heat. They saw no real change in intake temps with a moving car, as-is, though. I discussed this with them and its largely a non-issue, especially as the intake charge hits the intercooler and all, anyways.