What have you done to your CX-5 today?

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
You know I was just thinking the other night when I was pulling groceries out of the back how much the light back there didn't do a damn thing.
I just replaced the bulb with an eBay cool white LED festoon bulb. Much brighter and it works fine now. I was going to add a second light in the roof (did that with my 2014) but there's no need now.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I have a bright bulb in the hatch door but the light gets blocked because of the location.

Redbaron how did you add a 2nd light overhead? I might do that.

I just replaced the bulb with an eBay cool white LED festoon bulb. Much brighter and it works fine now. I was going to add a second light in the roof (did that with my 2014) but there's no need now.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
After installing some 3.5 midrange speakers and realizing how much of an improvement they made I decided to add some tweeters.
I saw these at Wal-Mart and for about $8 they are ok. The sensitivity is pretty high at 97db but they have
20200331_102552.jpg a 12db/octave crossover so they add a nice sizzle but aren't overly bright.
They had a pigtail already attached so I just soldered that to the CPU plugs I used for the interface. 20200331_102638.jpg

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I have a bright bulb in the hatch door but the light gets blocked because of the location.

Redbaron how did you add a 2nd light overhead? I might do that.
Just to throw this out for you, others have added LED strips (with On/Off switches) back there plugged into the Always Hot 12v outlet.

I don't know if your year has such an outlet, but this would be a much easier install.

I've not done any of this (except for swapping out the hatch door light) because I have motion-sensor floodlights on my garage and I back the car up to them when I pull in...I got all the light I need. Absent that, I'd be looking to augment the lighting as you are.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
After installing some 3.5 midrange speakers and realizing how much of an improvement they made I decided to add some tweeters.
I saw these at Wal-Mart amd for about $8 they are ok. The sensitivity is pretty high at 97db but they have View attachment 223744 a 12db/octave crossover so they add a nice sizzle but aren't overly bright.
They had a pigtail already attached so I just soldered that to the CPU plugs I used for the interface.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Yeah the outlet might be ok but I like something without wires. I'd possibly use a battery powered light but ideally I would like another set of those map lights like the OEMs. It's always easy to find the switch-which I like. I could have a RED for night, too.

If I could wire it direct to 12vdc it wouldn't have that annoying time out.

Just to throw this out for you, others have added LED strips (with On/Off switches) back there plugged into the Always Hot 12v outlet.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I agree, concealed wiring always looks less "cobbled."

And one wonders the value of that timeout in the world of LEDs.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Mostly for camping I guess. I need the outlet for the cooler or 120vac inverter and having a wire there might get in the road so...

I camped out in it last summer and the interior lights won't turn on unless you open a door. If you leave a door open then they time out and won't turn on again until you close ALL the doors. Then after 20min they turn off again and you have to open a door to turn them back on.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
What are you guys buying with your stimulus check? Probably going to finish out my ultra racing chassis bars (2 mid braces)

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I've been thinking about putting together a flight simulator PC. i bought a 4k TV and a HDMI 4k adapter and it works as long as I only have one monitor but it seems to have a tendency to freeze after a while. I might get another tower for this.

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
CCDD76A7-2D71-4550-A8CB-86635687F69B.jpeg

I installed a megan racing strut tower bar. took it for a short drive and i want to say that side to side transitions feel better, maybe a little bit of confirmation bias(?). a solid bar would have been preferable but this was cheap and in stock.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I've been thinking about putting together a flight simulator PC. i bought a 4k TV and a HDMI 4k adapter and it works as long as I only have one monitor but it seems to have a tendency to freeze after a while. I might get another tower for this.
I have a yoke, rudder pdel, radio stack, multi panel, and throttle quadrant. As a commercial pilot I can use it for instrument practice (although I rarely do)

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Simulators seem to be excellent for that. I wonder why state DOT s don't use them for driving tests and teaching.

I have been looking at a CH yoke/ w most of the other things combined. The rudder pedals are on there too for about $200.

I have seen setups with 3 monitors but I haven't figured that out. I think it would be good to have one monitor for the instrument panel.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Simulators seem to be excellent for that. I wonder why state DOT s don't use them for driving tests and teaching.
The state of Virginia was (is?) working on them. I was in the DMV maybe 5 years ago and University of Virginia had a beta simulator there, with a student asking folks to test it out and share their impressions. I gave it a shot. It was OK, somewhat "clumsy."

I would not trust them to be a perfect evaluator of someone's skills, but given how low the bar is set in order to justify issuing a license, I'd say it was ":good enough."