• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

What have you done to your CX-5 today?

:
Mazda CX-5
I didn't want to jump with this in until others answered the OP's question...so all 2.5L engines have knock sensors and will adjust the timing accordingly? That means that the turbo is not the only one that yields more torque and HP at the higher revs, as you stated.

I, too, have noticed slightly improved mileage using 93 octane, based on limited [non-dynamometer] data in my Reserve. Others have here reported the same. It's interesting to see someone in an NA observe this, and at about twice the difference I've seen.

A quick calculation shows that for the OP's reported 26 MPG for regular and 30 MPG for premium, and a 70¢ per gallon price difference at today's prices in my area, there's a $3.32 cost difference for 300 miles worth of gas at each respective MPG (about 3/4 tank). The OP might find this to be acceptable for the enhanced performance he sees.
3 tanks of gas I used Exxon regular 87 octane and averaged 26.8 MPG ( I would notate the amount of miles driven once I reached 1/2 tank (avg. 175-185 miles driven at 1/2 tank mark) My last 3 fill-ups I used Exxon 93 octane, avg 30.7 MPG, 1/2 tank mark - 210-215 miles driven. I am a lead foot as well lol- love the torque in the Mazda.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
3 tanks of gas I used Exxon regular 87 octane and averaged 26.8 MPG ( I would notate the amount of miles driven once I reached 1/2 tank (avg. 175-185 miles driven at 1/2 tank mark) My last 3 fill-ups I used Exxon 93 octane, avg 30.7 MPG, 1/2 tank mark - 210-215 miles driven. I am a lead foot as well lol- love the torque in the Mazda.
My mileage improvement with 93 is nowhere near as much as yours (only about 1.5MPG.)

Glad to see you enjoying your car. I haven't heard many comments from folks regarding the torque in their NA (non-turbo) CX-5s. They ARE nice cars to drive.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I installed an under seat 8” subwoofer. I got the Rockville 400W slim subwoofer/amp combo and the wiring kit. Installation took about 3 hours. Sounds really good. Went from the stock 4 door OEM speaker set up to 3.5” speakers in the dash, OEM door speakers swapped with cheap Rockford Fosgate, and now the 8” sub under the passenger seat. I’m a happy camper.
Yes, replacing cheap OEM paper-cone speakers (including Bose system) is the most effective way to improve the sound quality of an audio system.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
New tires on..Atlas Force UHP (Linglong, made in Thailand). All balanced fine

:
Mazda CX-5
Hey Guys, I recently added the OEM LED fog light kit from Mazda to my 2019 CX-5 Touring, LED switch-back DRL/Turn Signal upgrade and changed the brake lights and rear turn signal bulbs to LED. Also upgraded the interior lights to LED.

Car Video Link. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0F79bF_GN00iYe20tVW22bFMA

Switch-Back LEDS - LED bulbs that run 6000K color temperature (white) and then switch to Amber color when turn signals are activated- once turn is complete the LED’s “switchback” to white
I recommend LASFIT as there are no codes or hyperflashing with their brand- also not LED load resistors are needed.

FRONT TURN SIGNAL/DRL’s -LASFIT CANBUS Anti Hyper Flash 7443 7444 T20 Dual Color Switchback LED Amber Turn Signal Light Blinker Bulbs, White Daytime Running Parking Light, No Load Resistor Need, Standard Socket (Pack of 2)
by Onemore Auto
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CN1NZ1R/?tag=m20b7-20

REAR BRAKE LIGHTS -LASFIT 7443 7444 CANBUS LED Brake Light Bulb, Error Free LED Bulbs, Red Light(2pcs)
by Onemore Auto
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08261B9WW/?tag=m20b7-20

REAR TURN SIGNALS -LASFIT 7440 Anti Hyper Flash Canbus LED Turn Signal Light W21W WY21W Blinker Bulbs, No Load Resistor Need, 2019 Upgraded Intelligent Temperature Control Version- Amber Yellow (Pack of 2)
by Onemore Auto
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMSD8CS/?tag=m20b7-20

Attachments

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Friendly reminder.. make sure you are maintaining your pcv/vacuum system (head cleaner). Makes a big difference on oil consumption

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
Last week: Installed Michelin Crossclimate SUV 225/65-r17 on stock wheels.

Yesterday: Uploaded 2nd Ovtuned 93 octane file, the CX-5 now feels like it has a small displacement v6.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve

Yesterday: Uploaded 2nd Ovtuned 93 octane file, the CX-5 now feels like it has a small displacement v6.
I'd like to hear back after a while as to how you like that tune, and how it has affected your mileage. I've heard reports that the tunes actually increase mileage because the factory tunes tend to run rich. Which year/trim CX-5 do you have?

ps: I see you're in NOVA. I moved to Louisa County 10 years ago after living in Vienna since the early 60s. It used to be a nice place to live. So much happier here.

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
I'd like to hear back after a while as to how you like that tune, and how it has affected your mileage. I've heard reports that the tunes actually increase mileage because the factory tunes tend to run rich. Which year/trim CX-5 do you have?

ps: I see you're in NOVA. I moved to Louisa County 10 years ago after living in Vienna since the early 60s. It used to be a nice place to live. So much happier here.
2014 AWD Touring with the Bose radio, moon roof, and roof rails.

So far I like the tune a lot, it feels like there's a bigger motor in there, it pulls from a stop with less drama, shifts earlier and cruises with less throttle needed. And it pulls much harder when you step on it up until 7000rpm.

I'm curious about the mpg figures as well. It feels like there should be some mpg gains if you stay out of the loud pedal. I'm still on my original full tank post tune.

Most of my driving is stop and go traffic. I used to average 20-22 mpg per tank of 93 octane on winter gas. Summer blend I was getting 23-24 mpg per tank.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
2014 AWD Touring with the Bose radio, moon roof, and roof rails.

So far I like the tune a lot, it feels like there's a bigger motor in there, it pulls from a stop with less drama, shifts earlier and cruises with less throttle needed. And it pulls much harder when you step on it up until 7000rpm.

I'm curious about the mpg figures as well. It feels like there should be some mpg gains if you stay out of the loud pedal. I'm still on my original full tank post tune.

Most of my driving is stop and go traffic. I used to average 20-22 mpg per tank of 93 octane on winter gas. Summer blend I was getting 23-24 mpg per tank.
I'm waiting for my warranty to expire before I do something like that...but I'm compiling a list of upgrades (ECU tune, paddle shifters, suspension). I know there was another company who did tunes where you loaded the standard software, drove around with your laptop connected to monitor certain data points, then sent a file back for the final "custom for your car" tune to install. Folks told of mileage improvement. I think that company stopped doing Mazdas last year.

I've often stated that if I were still driving in NOVA conditions I would have passed on the turbo. Unless you go out at 3AM, there's little opportunity to open the thing up.

Let us know how that mileage fares. Interesting to see that level of performance improvement in a NA engine.

Our new girl had a rough day yesterday. We had not taken her out on the freeway since we purchased her less than a week ago. We were on our way to limo tint the back five windows (front driver and passenger at legal limit). Not 5 minutes later, a cement truck kicks up a huge rock and cracked the windshield. My gf was in tears. Insuranced called, thank god we are covered for free glass replacement. Ceramic tint planned for the windshield once we have the new OEM glass.

Attachments

So after our incident with the windshield, we completed the limo tint on the back five windows. We had been struggling a bit to find a decent storage solution for the rear. We ended up at Costco and found these collapsable and stackable containers. We purchased 4 because we did not know how they would fit. So happy we did! $6.99 per container if anyone is having the same issue we did.

Attachments

So after our incident with the windshield, we completed the limo tint on the back five windows. We had been struggling a bit to find a decent storage solution for the rear. We ended up at Costco and found these collapsable and stackable containers. We purchased 4 because we did not know how they would fit. So happy we did! $6.99 per container if anyone is having the same issue we did.
Daaang! Sorry to hear about your windshield!

Those are nice crates though...I'll have to see if I can find something similar locally...no Costco around these parts!

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Is this recent? Who is doing your tuning? Ovtuned Philippines? The original Ovt is out of the mazda game, but I've been told people can email ovtune philipenes (Rafel) directly.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
That's true. There is alot of info about making v8 corvettes get 35+mpg with lean burn tunes. The problem with lean burn, is that as far as EPA is concerned it's more NOx emission.