What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.
The gen1 JDM headrests I got also protrude forward slightly but I'm fine with that as I practically never have rear seat passengers. My previous solution was to completely remove the outboard headrests. I now have headrests if I need them & improved rear visibility.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
So have you sat in the seats after installing them?

I'm curious if they really shove your head forward as much as they look like they would.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

I'm curious if they really shove your head forward as much as they look like they would.
They won’t for me even if I don’t raise the JDM headrests on my gen-1 CX-5. But if you’re taller and they hit your back uncomfortably, that means you need to pull up the headrest for safety reason as it’s positioned too low for you. The rear headrests on CX-3 and Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) are worse as the rear headrests are extended much farther down, and everyone except kids sitting in the back seat has to pull up the headrest or the headrest is hitting your back directly!

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
They won’t for me even if I don’t raise the JDM headrests on my gen-1 CX-5. But if you’re taller and they hit your back uncomfortably, that means you need to pull up the headrest for safety reason as it’s positioned too low for you. The rear headrests on CX-3 and Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) are worse as the rear headrests are extended much farther down, and everyone except kids sitting in the back seat has to pull up the headrest or the headrest is hitting your back directly!
Yeh, but even if you pull them up to the back of your head, it still looks like they'll be shoving you forward.

I don't want to beat it to death, but I don't want to drop dollars on something that's gonna be a problem when I have rear seat passengers.

It would be nice to hear from someone who had actually sat in the seat after these have been installed.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yeh, but even if you pull them up to the back of your head, it still looks like they'll be shoving you forward.

I don't want to beat it to death, but I don't want to drop dollars on something that's gonna be a problem when I have rear seat passengers.

It would be nice to hear from someone who had actually sat in the seat after these have been installed.
Unlike the front headrests on CX-5 which received plenty of complaints because they’re angled too much forward, the JDM low profile rear headrests will be much better to your concern. Although I have gen-1 CX-5, but I had checked gen-2 JDM rear headrests in Taiwan a couple of years ago (at the time I planned to get a 2018 CX-5 before knowing the cylinder deactivation feature), they’re as comfortable, if not better as they’re thicker, as my gen-1 JDM’s.

Of course each person is built differently especially on seat comfort issue.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Unlike the front headrests on CX-5 which received plenty of complaints because they’re angled too much forward...
Thanks for the reply.

And I agree about the front headrests being angled too far forward.

The ergonomics of the front seat design is mind-boggling.

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve

I never sat in the back until just now. I'm 5' 11", with the gen1 JDM rears all the way down, they touch my upper back. If I adjust them proper for my head, they're fine. They don't push my head forward.
Keep in mind the gen1 JDM come down a bit lower on back seat than the gen2 JDM.
IMG_2489.JPG

:
2016.5 GT AWD
:
w/Tech & iActive
I just checked...now, I'm 5-1, and my head is directly in line with the low profile headrest, but not touching it or being pushed forward...it sits about 1-2 inches back from my head. I did not swap back to the original to see if it was any different.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I just checked...now, I'm 5-1, and my head is directly in line with the low profile headrest, but not touching it or being pushed forward...it sits about 1-2 inches back from my head. I did not swap back to the original to see if it was any different.
Thank you.

Man, the optics in that photo are deceiving.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
I installed some 3.5” Pioneer speakers in the dashboard of my ‘13 Sport. I also used 600 hz bass blockers to prevent the dash from rattling or the front doors being robbed of power. Fantastic upgrade. I wish I had done it years ago.

Im going to install some Kilmat throughout the car next month and replace the stock door speakers while I’m at it. That should keep me entertained for the next 10 years of ownership lol.

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Just watch out, if you install an amp. I have blown mine + the amp, most likely because of this 3.5" speaker addition.

:
2019 CX5 Signature
Sorry no pics, but I promise it happened! If you go to the “etrailer.com” website they have pics and installation videos of both the draw-tite and curt receivers mounted on CX-5s. Their video comparing the two was helpful for me in deciding which to buy.

Note to Mods...I apologize if this sounds like a commercial, but I have no affiliation with the company other than being a customer. Simply passing on my experience to possibly help others looking to buy/install a hitch/receiver.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
So which hitch did you get...Class II or Class III?

And why did you not opt for the factory one? When I was buying my car, a Draw Tite dealer was nice enough to send me a pic of an install. The factory one seemed to sit up closer to the underside of the car (protrudes through the bumper rather than hanging under the bumper). That's the main reason I got a Mazda hitch...it "looked" OEM.

My only regret is not realizing it was a Class II hitch. That may have swayed my decision.

:
2019 CX5 Signature
So which hitch did you get...Class II or Class III?

And why did you not opt for the factory one? When I was buying my car, a Draw Tite dealer was nice enough to send me a pic of an install. The factory one seemed to sit up closer to the underside of the car (protrudes through the bumper rather than hanging under the bumper). That's the main reason I got a Mazda hitch...it "looked" OEM.

My only regret is not realizing it was a Class II hitch. That may have swayed my decision.
AD...I went with the Draw-tite class III hitch. I evaluated the OEM option, but in the end, I wanted something stronger and I did not want to cut up my rear bumper. My receiver/hitch will be used mostly for a bike carrier but will see a small trailer once, maybe twice, a year.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
AD...I went with the Draw-tite class III hitch. I evaluated the OEM option, but in the end, I wanted something stronger and I did not want to cut up my rear bumper. My receiver/hitch will be used mostly for a bike carrier but will see a small trailer once, maybe twice, a year.
Yeh, I'm kinda wishing I had gone that way, although a Class II should be fine for anything the CX-5 has the capacity to tow. I got lucky that the dealer who installed my hitch made it look just like the pics on Mazda's website.

My primary hitch need is for a cargo carrier, because here in the sticks we have to haul our own trash to drop-off centers. I've kept my truck for that and for other uses (hauling firewood on the property), but I've got a utility trailer, and some day I might want to get rid of the truck's maintenance/repairs/insurance/taxes. I only use it once or twice a month.

I'm still haven't got a ball mount for my CX-5. Reese sells various mounts and a Class II 2" ball. I guess I should order one.