What have you done to your CX-5 today?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Oil change over the weekend. Went 5w30 again.
I may have missed these info you posted, but what was the oil consumption rate with previous 5W-30 comparing to 0W-20 on your engine? How many miles on the old oil? And what kind of 5W-30 you’re using?

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I may have missed these info you posted, but what was the oil consumption rate with previous 5W-30 comparing to 0W-20 on your engine? How many miles on the old oil? And what kind of 5W-30 you’re using?

This particular interval was 7880 miles (oil change performed at 88,983 miles, previous was 81,103 in May). I did add half a quart during that interval. On the 0w20, it would have needed a full quart. While not solved, it is reduced oil consumption. I'm wondering if I should use one of those higher mileage oils (75k+) next time. I didn't think about it here.

Drained was the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. This time, the Castrol Edge 5w30 was $2 cheaper, so I went with that.

I have 2 samples I need to send in. My last 0w20 from May and then this 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum. Will be interested to see how they both turned out.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Purchased a vent gauge pod to relocate my gauges from the A-Pillar.

(Pictured in mz3)

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I miss the old days when a reasonable compliment of gauges was standard.

I purchased an OBD2 reader and a 7" tablet to set on the infotainment screen (worked out a mounting system) so as to add more gauges to my car, but I'm still waiting for ScanTool to issue their 2019 Mazda-specific PIDs. My limitation then will be lack of basic sending units/monitored points (like oil pressure).

Regarding your gauges, I like that installation. I clicked on your link and see the guy's got a healthy backlog of orders. That's called a Good Problem.

:
2016.5 GT AWD
:
w/Tech & iActive
New tire (singular)...picked up a nail in the passenger rear of the nearly new Geolandars that the dealer had installed before I bought the 2016.5 GT last month...was too close to the sidewall for plugging...
Fortunately, I had bought a "protection package" that included tires. Package cost a grand...tire was worth about $200...
Last week, I had about a 6-inch curb rash on the same rim repaired under the package, so I'm about half way to even ;)

It's just now occurring to me as I'm typing this that the nail was in the same tire/wheel that was just repaired the prior week...coincidental, I'm sure, but a head-scratcher all the same.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I'm getting xpel ppf on my new headlights tomorrow, I might get the bumper done since it got replaced.. but that's a couple hundred to do.

:
2016.5 GT AWD
:
w/Tech & iActive
Installed the low-profile rear headrests I bought from ghost_ix.
If you've been thinking of getting these...well...NO BRAINER!!!

(y)(y) for the headrests AND for ghost_ix!

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Installed the low-profile rear headrests I bought from ghost_ix.
If you've been thinking of getting these...well...NO BRAINER!!!

(y)(y) for the headrests AND for ghost_ix!

You really like them that well, huh?

Gotta link you can share?

:
2016.5 GT AWD
:
w/Tech & iActive
I do, without question, and I've only driven with them installed for about 2 hours, 1 in daylight and 1 after dark...I'm a short guy (5-1) and drive with the seat in it's highest position.
The low-profile headrests are the same height as the center headrest, and essentially added 2, maybe 3 inches of visibility above each headrest out the back via the rearview mirror.

I bought them from ghost_ix on the Marketplace here.

I did search online and in the forums once we got the '16 CX-5 for my wife.
The part number for the black leather is:
K072-88-240-02

Other info was in this thread:

They're about $48 each (plus shipping from Japan) from www.japanparts.com
And on Ebay, I see them for about $108 (plus shipping from UK)

I will be looking for similar for my '15 Forester!

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I do, without question, and I've only driven with them installed for about 2 hours, 1 in daylight and 1 after dark...I'm a short guy (5-1) and drive with the seat in it's highest position.
The low-profile headrests are the same height as the center headrest, and essentially added 2, maybe 3 inches of visibility above each headrest out the back via the rearview mirror.

I bought them from ghost_ix on the Marketplace here.

I did search online and in the forums once we got the '16 CX-5 for my wife.
The part number for the black leather is:
K072-88-240-02

Other info was in this thread:

They're about $48 each (plus shipping from Japan) from www.japanparts.com
And on Ebay, I see them for about $108 (plus shipping from UK)

I will be looking for similar for my '15 Forester!
Thanks!

I recall reading that JDM thread not long after I joined here and thought it was more of a cosmetic thing that having enhanced functionality.

I gotta laugh...every time I buy a new car, I don't fret the payments, but I angst over the cost of accessorization! It's killin' me!!!

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
Yeah, there's several lengthy threads including pictures of the JDM rear headrests. I was on the fence myself but decided to give them a try. I second the opinion on improved visibility. That and being able to fold the rear seats without having to fiddle with the headrests. I've had them in for a little over a month now.
I opted for the gen1 JDM headrests for my 2019 GTR. They're slightly lower than the gen2 JDM ones although some people like the way the gen2 look better. There's plenty of comparison pictures in those threads.

I got them from Japanparts for around $123 for the pair shipped & took about 2-3 weeks.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Yeah, there's several lengthy threads including pictures of the JDM rear headrests. I was on the fence myself but decided to give them a try. I second the opinion on improved visibility. That and being able to fold the rear seats without having to fiddle with the headrests. I've had them in for a little over a month now.
I opted for the gen1 JDM headrests for my 2019 GTR. They're slightly lower than the gen2 JDM ones although some people like the way the gen2 look better. There's plenty of comparison pictures in those threads.

I got them from Japanparts for around $123 for the pair shipped & took about 2-3 weeks.
I may have to spring for these.

I'm all about more visibility.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Installed LEDs I got as a kit from Amazon...front/rear dome lights, both vanity lights, cargo hatch light, license plate. $16 for 9 bulbs.

It's still daylight out so I can't tell how well I like them.

The only complaint I have is that the ends on the OEM bulbs have sharp points, so they're held somewhat captive by the holes in each metal mounting tab in the front dome lights and cargo light (all others were standard clips-ins, not compression-retained). The Amazon aftermarket have more blunt ends, so you cannot install one side and then push the other into place...the first side slides free. You gotta push both ends in somewhat simultaneously. It's do-able but awkward...there's not a lot of space to get your fingers in there.

The interesting thing about LED bulbs is that they're directional; that is, the light does not project 360°...it projects straight out. So you can twist the dome bulbs to shine off to the right or the left instead of straight down. And you can likewise rotate the vanity bulbs so they don't shine right in your eyes. I'll have to play with them.

The kit also came with license plate light bulbs, but I'm having a hard time getting at them. I posted a question in How To.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
2016.5 GT AWD
:
w/Tech & iActive
The aftermarket ones are 'recessed' where they sit on top of the seatback, while the OEMs are not recessed at all, so the aftermarket headrests are exactly like the left side of the image Chocolate posted above.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The aftermarket ones are 'recessed' where they sit on top of the seatback, while the OEMs are not recessed at all, so the aftermarket headrests are exactly like the left side of the image Chocolate posted above.
Those low profile rear headrests are OEM too. They‘re used for Japanese domestic and other non-US markets on CX-5.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve
It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.
The gen1 JDM headrests I got also protrude forward slightly but I'm fine with that as I practically never have rear seat passengers. My previous solution was to completely remove the outboard headrests. I now have headrests if I need them & improved rear visibility.