What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Any pictures? What %?

I'll try to take some tomorrow. It barely hit 20 deg here today. Only got 30% up front bc I don't want to get harassed by cops.
They have clear ceramic film that blocks out heat, that was put on the rest of the windows.
Looks darker in the sun & that's with the sun shining into the front windshield.
3M ceramic film 30% up front & clear ceramic on the rest. Didn't feel the sun's heat & steering wheel is cool to touch.
It's below freezing temps here bc I can't wait for it when it's hot out. No more burning interior pieces.
a8431723fb118f13a1a858c7f71cbb6e.jpg

^Thanks. Just saw the other thread.

Nice job on the install. They look great.

Cheers!

I also did the black trim with Carplan black wax trim, but it didn't look any better, perhaps only being a month old the trims are still pretty black anyway.

Cheers!

I also did the black trim with Carplan black wax trim, but it didn't look any better, perhaps only being a month old the trims are still pretty black anyway.

I also worked on the trim and the wheels - with Meguiar's Ultimate Black and Wetshine.

Looks good Kayger12. I've had 35% 3M tint on my 2 fronts since March and it works great in sunny northern California climate.

Kayger12: for someone who doesn't know that much about window tinting; 2 questions:
1. How does 35% tint compare to what the factory put on the rear windows? and
2. What was the factory tint on the front windows (if any?)?

My understanding is that the factory tint on the rear windows is 20%. We did 20% on the front windows of the Tribute to match the rear and it looked perfect (match wise). My wife thought the 20% was just a little too dark at night as far as visibility.

There was no factory tint on the front windows.

Front window tint is illegal in NJ, so the hope is that the 35% doesn't result in too many traffic stops.

I did 35% all the way around on my BMW and found it's a good compromise-- haven't been stopped once for tint in about 2.5 years.

paris1 - We will let Kayger12 respond directly to you of course. But to briefly answer your questions, 35% tint is lighter than factory rear tint (SUV rear tint is usually close to 20% tint). His picture shows that nicely. Don't know what factory tint on fronts is, it's very light and maybe close to 90%+.

o9qqgk.jpg

Drilled holes in the bumper to prep for installing audible reverse parking sensors. It got dark before I could finish, so now I just have holes. (spin)

Reason I asked is because this vehicle is the first I've ever owned where I am considering having this done and I'm not sure what factors are making me feel the need to do that. My last ride was a 2007 Nissan Frontier which I don't think had any less side glass area than the CX-5, but I never sensed the amount of sun/heat entering the cabin like in this car. I think the Frontier driver's door glass may have been darker, but I would assume that most manufacturers use about the same amount of tint in factory applications, but maybe they don't. I also sense that when I look at the side windows on my Touring, there is quite a bit of difference between the tint on the rear and front side glass that I don't recall on my truck.

Filled up the tank today in preparation for a drive to sunny warm Orlando Florida. 11.15 gal at $38.56 from less than 1/4 tank. (yippy) She needs a bath before we hit the road this thursday.

Jeff

Last edited:
Lucky you and lucky CX ^, have a safe trip. Florida in Feb sb nice and warm.

Until this week I have only washed the truck once this winter to discover that the local u-spray did a really poor job of removing winter grime. On this sunny Monday with temperature 15- and a wind-chill of 30- headed to the u-spray with a closed bucked of hot soapy water, another closed bucket of hot water, sponge, squeegee, chamois, and step stool. A single u-wash, a more thorough hot wash with sponge, single u-rinse, squeegee, then a wipe down with the chamois and hot water to catch any missed grime while melting and removing any accumulated frozen water. I'm in love again.

Brian

Sunday - Hand washed with carnauba Shampoo. Chamois dried. Polished, Waxed with Turtlewax metallic wax and then sealed with Autoglym extra gloss protection. Dressed tyres. Back to showroom condition inside and out!

Looks darker in the sun & that's with the sun shining into the front windshield.
3M ceramic film 30% up front & clear ceramic on the rest. Didn't feel the sun's heat & steering wheel is cool to touch.
It's below freezing temps here bc I can't wait for it when it's hot out. No more burning interior pieces.
a8431723fb118f13a1a858c7f71cbb6e.jpg

Who cares about the tint...I want me some White Castle!!!

Back