What did you pay for your CX-5?

Did they add any dealer-installed extras like paint shield, security etching, fabric guard, Edge molding trim, or similar?
Nope, most of those were offered to me as extra-cost items but I did not go for any of them. This was a base CX-5 Sport with no options added at the factory or the dealer. Still, it has really nice wheels and some other things on it that you don't normally find on a base model so I am happy.

Hi all!

Created an account so I could provide my purchase data point. This thread was incredibly helpful to me while I was shopping around, so wanted to contribute.

I purchased my 2021 Red CX-5 Signature in Southern California on 2021-05-30.

The detailed breakdown was as follows:

MSRP: $39.275.00
Discount: $2,375.00 (so selling price before taxes/fees = $36,900.00)
Government fees: $521.60
Doc fee: $85.00
Taxes: $3,505.50 (9.5% tax rate in LA)

OTD: $41,012.10

They allowed me to do 0.9% financing / 63 months at that selling price. One other dealer was willing to do $36,899, but only if I brought my own financing/cash.

I have a 2019 GT with 7 months left on the lease and I did a lot of digging talking to a dealer and checking trade values on Black Book, Carvana, and Vroom. In a nutshell, the trade value is currently about around $2.5K more than it would be in a "normal" used car market pre-COVID. (This I have estimated based on 30 years of experience buying and selling 29 cars.)

Now some (including myself) would say, well it's probably a wash if the new car price is about $2.5K higher than it normally would be, but it's not, depending on the area/dealer you are buying from. It's a tough call if in 7 months at the end of the actual lease if the differential between the trade will be better, worse, or the same. Also consider interest rates could be ticked up higher in 7 months due to inflation fears (that's probably one of the least considerations though.)

I bought my 19 GT for $200 over invoice $($30,417). I think that was about $2,300 off sticker which includes the destination fee (about 7% discount off sticker).

If I got a GTR without premium paint or roof racks (like my 2019), 7% off sticker (which includes destination) would be about $35K. I've heard at least one other person got one for $35K (they didn't say what state though.) People in Florida are saying they are getting them at or slightly below invoice! But that's a moot point as I don't live in Florida. So considering I'm getting about $2.5K more on the trade due to current used market conditions, then the equivalent net deal to my 2019 purchase would be $37.5K on the GTR ($35K + $2.5K trade in premium) which is about $3.5K over invoice! So in a nutshell if I buy now, assuming I can get a GTR for $35K, I'm saving $2.5K due to the inflated trade value. So it seems Mazda is having less of an inventory issue on new cars than some of the other manufacturers putting people in good condition low mileage used cars (20,800 mile on my mint 2019 GT) in a pretty nice position to upgrade right now! Am I thinking straight?

On a side note, I'm moving to Henderson, NV in a few months and I'm actually vacationing in Reno/Tahoe in a month. It saves me about $1000 in taxes and registration fees to license in Nevada instead of my current home state of Washingon. I can use my parents address in Henderson to license the car there until I move down there. So natually I'm curious what the prices are like now for a 21 GTR in Nevada? I'm also curious, can't you purchase a car in any state you want and not pay taxes and fees in that state and just pay them in the state where you reside? So, if there was a great deal in any city between Seattle and Reno, say Sacramento, could I buy the car there and pay taxes and registration in Nevada since I have an address in Nevada and will be moving there before the end of the year?

I'm also curious, can't you purchase a car in any state you want and not pay taxes and fees in that state and just pay them in the state where you reside?
That's how it works in PA. If I buy in any other state, when I register the vehicle in PA, I pay PA 6% tax. I assume other states work the same way.

Correct. Whether at the time of sale at the dealership, or when you register in your own state, taxes are paid based on where the car is registered/where you live.

I'm in the market soon for a CX-5 (not sure if Touring or GT). I'll be trading in a 2014 Honda Odyssey with under 50K miles on it, which I hope to get about $18K for. There's already a Mazda 6 in the family, so we can get a family discount I believe. Is going through Costco worth it or are there better ways to get the price down?

Would like to know how I did on my CX5 purchase in today's climate and in a normal market. Got a 2021 FWD Touring, no packages or add-ons except roof rails already on it. Purchased weekend before Memorial Day.

Market Value Selling Price: 28,685
Discount: 1,622.65
Rebate (for financing at higher rate): 1,000
Adjusted Price: 26,062.35

Taxables Fees (Estimated): 99.50
Doc Fee: 699.50
AVT: 1,792.60
Non tax fee: 46

OTD: 28,700

(They also took off $300 for ResistAll application which they said they do on every vehicle...)

Would also like any feedback on how to better negotiate or assess the numbers so I can do better next time. First time purchase / car owner (been driving my parent's Toyota the last 5 years and they want it back) so really want to improve as a frugal- yet quality-minded consumer.

TIA

Last edited:
I'm in the market soon for a CX-5 (not sure if Touring or GT). I'll be trading in a 2014 Honda Odyssey with under 50K miles on it, which I hope to get about $18K for. There's already a Mazda 6 in the family, so we can get a family discount I believe. Is going through Costco worth it or are there better ways to get the price down?

Better to take that Costco dealer offer to a different dealer to get a better price

Better to take that Costco dealer offer to a different dealer to get a better price
The Costco dealer would not budge off the "Costco Price". I did present them with the same bid I submitted to several other dealers which was accepted by another dealer. I saved over $1000 compared to the Costco price.

The Costco dealer would not budge off the "Costco Price". I did present them with the same bid I submitted to several other dealers which was accepted by another dealer. I saved over $1000 compared to the Costco price.
can you share and tell what dealer accepted the price. so we can find the better way to buy if possible. thanks

can you share and tell what dealer accepted the price. so we can find the better way to buy if possible. thanks
I'm in eastern PA. I bought both my 2019 GTR's from Young VW/Mazda in Easton, PA. My first 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled at 4 months. I replaced it with it's clone at the very end of 2019. I had previously purchased 4 VW's from Young & when I was seeking my GTR replacement clone, they had one that had been sitting on their lot for several months (but had not been used for test drives. It had 5 miles on it).

The market is vastly different right now. Young's website shows 19 CX-5 in stock vs around 70 when I purchased the second GTR. I emailed around 6 dealers & got a mixed bag of prices. I then sent my offer to the same dealers & Young accepted it. Fortunately for me they are also local. I ended up paying $31,500 before TTL for my 2019 GTR at the end of 2019.

As i mentioned, the Costco dealer who was about an hour away would not budge. I'm surmising that they are bound to the "Costco Price" in order to participate as a Costco affiliated dealer. Do your homework & make what you feel is your best offer. The worst they can do is say no. Supply & demand is your friend & enemy.

I'm in eastern PA. I bought both my 2019 GTR's from Young VW/Mazda in Easton, PA. My first 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled at 4 months. I replaced it with it's clone at the very end of 2019. I had previously purchased 4 VW's from Young & when I was seeking my GTR replacement clone, they had one that had been sitting on their lot for several months (but had not been used for test drives. It had 5 miles on it).

The market is vastly different right now. Young's website shows 19 CX-5 in stock vs around 70 when I purchased the second GTR. I emailed around 6 dealers & got a mixed bag of prices. I then sent my offer to the same dealers & Young accepted it. Fortunately for me they are also local. I ended up paying $31,500 before TTL for my 2019 GTR at the end of 2019.

As i mentioned, the Costco dealer who was about an hour away would not budge. I'm surmising that they are bound to the "Costco Price" in order to participate as a Costco affiliated dealer. Do your homework & make what you feel is your best offer. The worst they can do is say no. Supply & demand is your friend & enemy.
thank you very much for your very helpful information.
i am thinking Mazda 6 Touring (or Mazda 6 GT with turbo) %APR
or CX50 Touring AWD 0.9%APR
look like in Cleveland Ohio they dont offer discount under MSRP for CX5.

Reporting in on my very very recent purchase, cause I think this is valuable valuable information for shoppers. And this was my first real dealer experience and let's just say I learned a lot, the stuff we all learn after that first time, and I'm lucky AF that I didn't get taken by them for more $$$.

Anyway:
2015 Mazda CX-5 with 1 "minor" accident on the carfax (seemed to be previous owner probably bumped into somebody in front of him). Options include moonroof/bose, interior pretty darn good with some scuffed/scratched plastic in front passenger seat and on those humps in the back over the wheel wells. Front bumper has one area scraped to black and a crease in another, each very roughly the size of a half dollar piece, about 50,000 miles - ~ $18,225 (if you include their bulls*** fees, which I do). Haven't had the vehicle inspected by a mechanic yet - I expect wear and tear and maybe some fuel filter or s*** they "forgot" to mention.

So, that's my deal. I know y'all may hear this a lot, but I can't help it, think I got a good deal? I do, based on everything I've seen, but this experience has taught me I'm naive and it's not an insignificant about of money.

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a 2021 White CX-5 Signature in Southern California. I want to share my purchase as a data point because this thread was super helpful when I was shopping around my local Mazda dealers.

Date of purchase: 7/25
MSRP: $39.075.00

Discount: $2,775.00 (so selling price before taxes/fees = $36,300.00)
-- plus they threw in a retractable cargo cover

License/Title: $547.00
Doc fee: $85.00
Other fee: $30.00
Tire/Battery/VTR Fee $8.75
Taxes: $3,553.76 (9.5% tax rate in LA)

OTD: $40,524.51

I did 0.9% financing for 63 months which turns out to be ~$900 in interest.

Reporting in on my very very recent purchase, cause I think this is valuable valuable information for shoppers. And this was my first real dealer experience and let's just say I learned a lot, the stuff we all learn after that first time, and I'm lucky AF that I didn't get taken by them for more $$$.

Anyway:
2015 Mazda CX-5 with 1 "minor" accident on the carfax (seemed to be previous owner probably bumped into somebody in front of him). Options include moonroof/bose, interior pretty darn good with some scuffed/scratched plastic in front passenger seat and on those humps in the back over the wheel wells. Front bumper has one area scraped to black and a crease in another, each very roughly the size of a half dollar piece, about 50,000 miles - ~ $18,225 (if you include their bulls*** fees, which I do). Haven't had the vehicle inspected by a mechanic yet - I expect wear and tear and maybe some fuel filter or s*** they "forgot" to mention.

So, that's my deal. I know y'all may hear this a lot, but I can't help it, think I got a good deal? I do, based on everything I've seen, but this experience has taught me I'm naive and it's not an insignificant about of money.

sounds bad. Why didn’t you walk away? 18k is a good price for a beat up 2015? Trim?

sounds bad. Why didn’t you walk away? 18k is a good price for a beat up 2015? Trim?
2015 Touring (edit: w/ 2.5, not 2.0) Not beat up at all, just those two smaller issues in the lower bumper. Again, smaller than a silver dollar.

In fact, rest of the body is mint. Somehow the previous owner managed to avoid the paint chipping issue (it's the soul red). I can post photos if the group wants to discuss.

Fair minds can disagree, I felt fine about it. Maybe it's determined by my locality and definitely the availability and of course this was the worst possible time to buy a used car. But I'm on a time crunch as the 2nd of our minivans is on the verge of death (the first died a quiet death about 2 weeks ago) and I'm ending work from home in a few weeks. I know/knew I'd pay a premium for that, so call it another $500 for my convenience and sanity. I couldn't get one with the options I wanted with mileage that low for cheaper here.

2015 Touring (edit: w/ 2.5, not 2.0) Not beat up at all, just those two smaller issues in the lower bumper. Again, smaller than a silver dollar.

In fact, rest of the body is mint. Somehow the previous owner managed to avoid the paint chipping issue (it's the soul red). I can post photos if the group wants to discuss.

Fair minds can disagree, I felt fine about it. Maybe it's determined by my locality and definitely the availability and of course this was the worst possible time to buy a used car. But I'm on a time crunch as the 2nd of our minivans is on the verge of death (the first died a quiet death about 2 weeks ago) and I'm ending work from home in a few weeks. I know/knew I'd pay a premium for that, so call it another $500 for my convenience and sanity. I couldn't get one with the options I wanted with mileage that low for cheaper here.

Using the black book that a poster replied with, looks like I paid too much. Nothing I can do but learn from it! But happy to post my data point here for others to benefit: looks like I paid between $2k - $4k too much. (Probably more like $2,700. But for one that was available with everything I wanted at the right time...eh, coulda been worse).

Last edited:

NADA shows retail value for that 2015 at $18,400 in the Houston market

Back