What did you pay for your CX-5?

Absolutely false. I have no idea why a sales rep would try to dissuade you from spending more money.

Some would argue that the turbo isn't worth the extra money based on the HP/TQ increases or because of the added potential risk of one more thing that could break. These are valid arguments depending on the person buying - but you are leasing. You would be under the factory powertrain warranty during the lease, so in the event that the engine/turbo does have issues, you wouldn't be the one paying for the repairs.

Mainly though, the statement that running 87 would lead to premature fouling issues and turbo issues is not true at all. These engines were designed to run primarily on 87 and we have many users on this board who have been running 87 for years with no issues.
I do have to agree with you on the issue of running 87 in a run-of-the-mill Mazda. If memory serves me correctly, this will be our 5th Mazda vehicle. A Mazda 5 GT, then a Mazda Tribute and now going on to our 3rd CX-5. Always run them all on 87 or whatever was the standard "cheap" gas at the time. Never have had any issues.

Having said that, I'm not sure personally whether I would want to repeat that on a turbo'd vehicle, even if it's based on the bread/butter Mazda 2.5L. No doubt with modern electronics and computers to dial back on the valve and ignition timing, etc. the motors can handle the cheaper fuel but if you want to run a turbo, I'd say be prepared to shell out the extra cash for the good gas, otherwise, what's the point. I know that I'm not about to start paying the premium for 93; even if it was available in our area. The highest gas I've run across lately is only 91.

For me, there's no doubt that this will be the last "gas only" vehicle we purchase/lease as I'm fed up of being "hosed" at the pumps with artificially high gas prices. If Mazda doesn't have a proper plug-in Hybrid next time around; I'll switch to another brand of vehicle.

Having said that, I'm not sure personally whether I would want to repeat that on a turbo'd vehicle, even if it's based on the bread/butter Mazda 2.5L. No doubt with modern electronics and computers to dial back on the valve and ignition timing, etc. the motors can handle the cheaper fuel but if you want to run a turbo, I'd say be prepared to shell out the extra cash for the good gas, otherwise, what's the point. I know that I'm not about to start paying the premium for 93; even if it was available in our area. The highest gas I've run across lately is only 91.

For me, there's no doubt that this will be the last "gas only" vehicle we purchase/lease as I'm fed up of being "hosed" at the pumps with artificially high gas prices. If Mazda doesn't have a proper plug-in Hybrid next time around; I'll switch to another brand of vehicle.

I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to "sell" you on the turbocharged version of the engine - I'm not. I just wanted to clarify so that it doesn't get misinterpreted by others in the future. The turbocharged 2.5L will not be harmed in any way by using 87 vs 93, 91 or 89. Putting premium fuel in unlocks a few more hp, up to 250 on 93, but it only makes a difference at engine RPMs of 4k or higher. Mazda actually recommends 87 by default as most owners rarely push the engine to those RPMs in daily driving.

lnhikclimujpbhr9d9t7.png

The all-electric Mazda MX-30 is scheduled to come to Quebec, BC and California in the fall of this year, sold as a 2022 MY. Following that will be a plug-in hybrid version. Of course, this is a much smaller vehicle compared to the CX-5, but it just shows that Mazda is working towards electrification. With Mazda and Toyota now working together and a joint Mazda/Toyota manufacturing plant in Alabama, we may be seeing a hybrid CX-5 in the next few years.

So I have been looking at a Soul red AWD touring. I visited 2 dealerships in NE Ohio today, and neither one would budge on MSRP $30150. I ended up walking out at both places. They both said Mazda doesn't really negotiate prices, which I find impossible to believe. Anyways, I will keep plugging away, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how to get a better deal than MSRP, it would be helpful. I've never ever had this happen at a car dealership, let alone 2 in one day.

Intended to post this sooner. I purchased my 2021 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve 5 weeks ago (4/30/21). MSRP was $36,560. After a couple rounds of email exchanges, I negotiated a final price of $32,900 with a Western WA dealership. Total purchase ended up being $32,900, plus $150 doc fee, plus Washington State tax and license. And I received 0% Mazda financing for 4 years. No special discounts or rebates.

They both said Mazda doesn't really negotiate prices, which I find impossible to believe.
I have no buying advise, but I had to comment on this. Does Mazda (or any manufacturere) tell a dealer they can't sell a car for over MSRP also? Or tell a dealer that they 'must' charge $5,000 markup on the new Limited Production Ultra Zoom 3000?

The dealer can say "Acme Motors" doesn't negotiate, but "Mazda" can't *tell* a dealer what to sell a car for - within reasonable contractual agreements such as predatory pricing. Otherwise that falls under the category of price fixing - an illegal trade practice

Intended to post this sooner. I purchased my 2021 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve 5 weeks ago (4/30/21). MSRP was $36,560. After a couple rounds of email exchanges, I negotiated a final price of $32,900 with a Western WA dealership. Total purchase ended up being $32,900, plus $150 doc fee, plus Washington State tax and license. And I received 0% Mazda financing for 4 years. No special discounts or rebates.
$33,050/$36,560 + almost 10% off MSRP........ SCORE!

So I have been looking at a Soul red AWD touring. I visited 2 dealerships in NE Ohio today, and neither one would budge on MSRP $30150. I ended up walking out at both places. They both said Mazda doesn't really negotiate prices, which I find impossible to believe. Anyways, I will keep plugging away, but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on how to get a better deal than MSRP, it would be helpful. I've never ever had this happen at a car dealership, let alone 2 in one day.
I'm guessing AWD is the Touring is a must? What about color? I'm guessing these are the ones you saw at Classic Mazda? It's okay to name the dealerships. I'd love to email and make a blind offer to see what they say. Also, not a big deal but where did you come up with MSRP of $30,150? The Mazda Build site shows Touring, AWD, Red as $30,280

Last edited:
So check out this site to find dealer inventory, their website will show their MSRP - with a link to their Window Sticker showing any factory installed options like floor mats/cargo cover/roof rails. Keep in mind they will add the obligatory DOC fee as well as overpriced/useless paint shield, security VIN etching, fabric sheild, etc. I ignore all that and work only with the mfg window sticker, YMMV.

Then what I do is contact dealer 'request a quote' thing on the wensite, without a phone number, just my email - once they repIy, I now have a return email address for them. When I know what I am ready, really ready, to pay now, I email them that offer saying "I am ready to come in tomorrow morning and pay $XX,XXX. If you can do that, great. If not, I respect your position but will have to give it further thought. Thank you." I have found this to be a non-confrontational way to basically say 'take-it-or-leave-it" without being rude. This number should include EVERYTHING before Tax/Title/License of other fees that go to the gov't or MVD - not to them.

Email/texting avoids the 'now your in the store and they beat you up until you cry uncle'. Once we're on the same page I have never had a dealer reneg on the price agreed upon in the emails.

The inventory crunch is starting to hit Mazda now. That means that each car sold has to bring in more money than in previous months in order to keep people paid. At my store, nothing is going out for under MSRP

Just bought a 2021 CX-5 Grand Touring, and wanted to thank the community for all the tips!

No other add-ons to the GT, the MSRP was $33,200 (invoice was $30,718 if anyone is interested). We got it for $29,945 before taxes and fees.
Doc fee: $495 (this was also taxable)
Reg fee: $250 (not taxable)

My wife qualified for new grad discount so we got another $500 off.

We live in RI so tax was a bit higher, at 7%, but all together we walked out at $32,285.80

Fees were higher than anything I saw on the forum, but the final price seemed pretty good from what everyone was posting, so we went with it!

Bought this at Prime Mazda, from the Mazda Man. He's always willing to negotiate and help out, so I highly recommend. We actually had some scheduling difficulty trying to pick up the car, and he actually just drove by and picked me up to get the car (he also lives in RI). Really went out of his way for us there!

This also started through the Costco auto program, so I also bought the roof rails and a cargo cover after POS. Costco gives you a 50% discount on accessories up to $200.

Hope these numbers help someone else!

In Cali getting a quote for a cx5 GTR via Amex Truecar $34,655 - negotiated $279 discount) before tax $3222, doc $85, vehicle/reg $466 with no accessories via Truecar selecting CASH instead of Lease or Finance options.

So when we were about to finalize the OTD TOTAL with they keep on saying that $34,655 deal is only through Finance and not for Cash (even though I selected cash to populate the vehicles) and said there is no penalty in paying off through Finance.

So they want proof that its a CASH quote. Oddly even though after I choose Cash option to populate the vehicles then I click on a vehicle it DOESN’T show the word CASH.

So check out this site to find dealer inventory, their website will show their MSRP - with a link to their Window Sticker showing any factory installed options like floor mats/cargo cover/roof rails. Keep in mind they will add the obligatory DOC fee as well as overpriced/useless paint shield, security VIN etching, fabric sheild, etc. I ignore all that and work only with the mfg window sticker, YMMV.

Then what I do is contact dealer 'request a quote' thing on the wensite, without a phone number, just my email - once they repIy, I now have a return email address for them. When I know what I am ready, really ready, to pay now, I email them that offer saying "I am ready to come in tomorrow morning and pay $XX,XXX. If you can do that, great. If not, I respect your position but will have to give it further thought. Thank you." I have found this to be a non-confrontational way to basically say 'take-it-or-leave-it" without being rude. This number should include EVERYTHING before Tax/Title/License of other fees that go to the gov't or MVD - not to them.

Email/texting avoids the 'now your in the store and they beat you up until you cry uncle'. Once we're on the same page I have never had a dealer reneg on the price agreed upon in the emails.

What link you referring to? Thanks

great to see we are in Ohio. i just went to Mazda of Bedford to have a look on CX5 too
i was surprised when they did not offer any % of MSRP.
what dealers did you come ?
hope you can have a good deal and share us info

Got a quote from a dealership north of LA for a Carbon Edition AWD Turbo of 37,550 OTD.

MSRP is 33,535.
TTL is about 2,880.
So their price is around $600 over MSRP.

Think this is a fair price in our current climate?

Paying more than MSRP on any item is never, ever a "fair" price.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I agree with @theblooms. I wouldn't consider it fair, especially for a mainstream car like the CX-5. It's not like you're buying a special Limited Edition car.

To make things easier for yourself and for others reading the thread, it's best to state MSRP before TTL and use that figure to compare. Leave the TTL out of the equation because it should always be the same, and also because someone else's sales taxes/fees may be different based on location.

All that said, if you're willing to travel, consider including other dealerships in your search. Most of the time, a dealership with more inventory is more likely to be open to negotiation.

Back