What did you pay for your CX-5?

NorCal, BayArea and finally Silicon Valley - The breeding ground for IT professionals with staggering high salary in 6 figures !! The dealers are not nitwits and are well aware of the local market conditions and consumers with deep pockets unlike smaller markets which offer higher discount. Given the MSRP of a CX-5 is uniform around the country with substantially high salary range in CA,NY , it is a reasonable consensus amongst dealer out there to stick a certain discount range (may be 5%). When I tried to counter them with Mid-West or Mid-South offers, they did not entertain the thought.
So it will be a wise choice to get the best deal you can out there or get it shipped from ORL,DFW,ORD if that is cheaper.
I think this is the right analogy. No matter how I calculate it, price with shipping is still cheaper if you but from outside of the state

I always wondered how they say "we'll beat any price by $1,000 or will give you $1,000 cash"? Do they require that you bring them a signed sales contract?
From my recent experience, I supplied the dealer a forward email with the VIN and the amount. When it was time for the in person meeting, the “we will beat any price.....” ($500) was subtracted from the final price.

For him to get to the price the I gave to him he had to get the starting sales price down to $34,495, or 11% off MSRP. (remember, I've said in all my posts, don't ask or negotiate what price he can sell it to you for, you tell him what you're willing to pay - there was no back and forth, just "this is what I'll pay you, if you want it, fine, if it's too low, I understand and thank you for your time" - all done on the phone, one phone call.
Have you read Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It (specifically, chapter 9 “Bargain Hard”)? He says the exact same thing. Name your price, and very politely reject any counters. I think I’ll try this next week. Thanks.

Have you read Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It (specifically, chapter 9 “Bargain Hard”)? He says the exact same thing. Name your price, and very politely reject any counters. I think I’ll try this next week. Thanks.
The key is to be realistic. Too low and no one will take you seriously.
They know what the cars sell for and if you’re offering a few grand less than what someone else just bought one for, they have no incentive to give it to you.

@hal2 how did you get to the price you gave him?

The key is to be realistic. Too low and no one will take you seriously.
They know what the cars sell for and if you’re offering a few grand less than what someone else just bought one for, they have no incentive to give it to you.

@hal2 how did you get to the price you gave him?
Good question. Honestly, like most, I didn't know what they could actually sell the car for - a disadvantage most of us have. So started with True Car. I got several responses with great "your offer" prices buy then a bunch of BS charges as shown below. So I just started calling dealers telling them that I was a ready buyer at the top line of the TC offer. I ended up buying from a non TC dealer, but that's where I got the idea to offer what I did.

Notice how the "Your Offer" is $33,921 on a car with an MSRP of $38,300? Then it miraculously get up to $36,716? Anyway, I must have had another TC quote that I worked of of, but this is a good example.

e
screenshot CX-5.jpg

Same here, ordered CX-5 yesterday at exact MSRP price. According to various dealers they do not need any incentives, they sell like hot cakes anyway.
Great to hear.
May you get many years of enjoyment out of your new CX-5

Good question. Honestly, like most, I didn't know what they could actually sell the car for - a disadvantage most of us have. So started with True Car. I got several responses with great "your offer" prices buy then a bunch of BS charges as shown below. So I just started calling dealers telling them that I was a ready buyer at the top line of the TC offer. I ended up buying from a non TC dealer, but that's where I got the idea to offer what I did.

Notice how the "Your Offer" is $33,921 on a car with an MSRP of $38,300? Then it miraculously get up to $36,716? Anyway, I must have had another TC quote that I worked of of, but this is a good example.

eView attachment 296920
If I saw this, I would still be running.

This is true but has variations based on supply/demand in the market. For example, in a market with high demand, you can name your price and as @hadeone mentioned, if the dealer knows he can sell higher to the next one, will never agree with your deal. I did it even reasonably and walked away many times. It did not work. I'm in no rush and also patient but I'm sure there are certain deals that is only possible in specific markets.

Also, for fun, CarMax is selling a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring with 3k miles (used) for around 29k and they do not negotiate: https://www.carmax.com/car/20113442
This is funny. I called them and asked about the specifics. MSRP is 31XXX or 32XXX and yet they believe they can sell a used 2020 for 29k.

Yash2021 mentioned that CarMax does not negotiate on the price of their cars. I can see why. A few years ago, my daughter, who lives in LA, was in the market for a different vehicle. We visited a couple different CarMax dealerships with her on a Saturday. Both were swamped with people, just like the fake ads on TV of people flocking to their local Toyota dealership to buy cars. When you have to take a number to speak to a salesperson, you can just about figure there will be no negotiating on the price.

Yash2021 mentioned that CarMax does not negotiate on the price of their cars. I can see why. A few years ago, my daughter, who lives in LA, was in the market for a different vehicle. We visited a couple different CarMax dealerships with her on a Saturday. Both were swamped with people, just like the fake ads on TV of people flocking to their local Toyota dealership to buy cars. When you have to take a number to speak to a salesperson, you can just about figure there will be no negotiating on the price.
Yes. You are right.

It's still good info. Like hal2 said, cut out all the bs add ons and let them honor their "dealer discount." From my experience they like to do a deep cut on the initial MSRP and then claw it back in fees.
It is totally upto the dealer's discretion to honor the price. For me Amex-TC did not show any BS add-ons. See below.
It is a decent 12% off MSRP, but dealers might not agree. You can raise a ticket with TC or Amex-TC but they are mediators and don't have any jurisdiction over the dealers to override their price.

1616788840848.png

Anyone here has any insight about what is %off discount for a used certified 2020 CX-5 GT AWD with 5k on it with MSRP of 32XXX? 12% and 20% for new 2021 and 2020 seems like a good deal. Not sure what about used with 5k miles for a 2020 model.

It is totally upto the dealer's discretion to honor the price. For me Amex-TC did not show any BS add-ons. See below.
It is a decent 12% off MSRP, but dealers might not agree. You can raise a ticket with TC or Amex-TC but they are mediators and don't have any jurisdiction over the dealers to override their price.

View attachment 296929
Amex TC showing 5% discount off MSRP for my region (NorCal)

Amex TC showing 5% discount off MSRP for my region (NorCal)
@yash2021 - My rationale for your region is a correct analysis. You cant have your cake and eat it too. Dealer know it. With an average salary of 200K/annum for silicon valley professionals, don't expect Mazda dealers to give 15-20% off MSRP which they offer in Tulsa, OK or Bentonville,AR.

I just bought a new 2021 base model CX-5, cash (no financing), in southern California.

MSRP $25,370
Delivery, Processing, and Handling fee $1,175
Total MSPR $26,545

The negotiated price was $25,036.35
doc fee $85
sales tax $1,946.90
elec registration transfer fee $30
License fee $163
Registration/Transfer/Title $230
California Tire Fee $8.75

For a total out the door cost of $27,500

The deal is done but I am curious if this is an excellent, standard, or bad deal. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Have any of you guys tried an auto broker? A friend of mine sent me to one when I was planning on buying my Protege5. He took the dealer's price, added a flat 200 bucks and gave me the car for a better price than any of the dealerships around. It went so smoothly I've never been to a dealership since. I just told him what color and options I wanted and a week later my car was at his shop waiting for me.
I bought my Golf R the same way.. I got it for right around 40K, which is a screaming deal for one of those. The guy buys so many cars that the dealerships all want his business, so he gets better deals that I ever could.

Anyway, if you're on the lookout for a new car, I'd add an autobroker to my research. I use AnyAuto in Seaside, California.

I just bought a new 2021 base model CX-5, cash (no financing), in southern California.

MSRP $25,370
Delivery, Processing, and Handling fee $1,175
Total MSPR $26,545

The negotiated price was $25,036.35
doc fee $85
sales tax $1,946.90
elec registration transfer fee $30
License fee $163
Registration/Transfer/Title $230
California Tire Fee $8.75

For a total out the door cost of $27,500

The deal is done but I am curious if this is an excellent, standard, or bad deal. Thoughts?
Given that its So Cal, 5% off MSRP by heuristics would be considered a good deal. This below link is more applicable to CA:

Anyone here has any insight about what is %off discount for a used certified 2020 CX-5 GT AWD with 5k on it with MSRP of 32XXX? 12% and 20% for new 2021 and 2020 seems like a good deal. Not sure what about used with 5k miles for a 2020 model.
There is no such thing as a % off rule of thumb on used cars.

Latest posts

Back