What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hello All
when you are in negotiation, do you want the % off of MSRP to include destination charges so for example (All made up numbers) Lets say I want 10% off MSRP and the MSRP is $29k with $1K in Dest charges. Do i want $3k off bringing me to a cost 27k? And when i am looking at the discount off list do i consider any rebates in that 10%?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello All
when you are in negotiation, do you want the % off of MSRP to include destination charges so for example (All made up numbers) Lets say I want 10% off MSRP and the MSRP is $29k with $1K in Dest charges. Do i want $3k off bringing me to a cost 27k? And when i am looking at the discount off list do i consider any rebates in that 10%?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

In your example and always, you want the discount to be off if the entire real monroney sticker msrp price including destination. Be careful with dealer add on window stickers that look like they are from mazda but they are not and include all sorts of garbage like protection packages etc. Those things never come from the factory. You want the straight dealer discount off sticker first, then any public mazds rebates like first responder, military etc. Then any personal mazda rebates like loyalty. Then add doc fee and ttl. The doc fee is negotiable off the selling price of the car, regardless if they tell you that they have to charge it to all by law. Yes they have to list it in the paperwork but they can discount it off the selling price of the car. If the dealer discount is already a crazy deal then let them have their doc fee and be happy wirh that. At this point in time, 2020 grand touring and grand touring with PP should be 15% off or better for a very good deal inclusive of any dealer cash incentives or public rebates but not including personal loyalty rebates plus tax tag and license and doc

Exactly. Calculate using Monroney sticker bottom line only, Do not include dealer added things like tint or paint shield as these are marked up by a factor of 3-10 times and cost the dealer near nothing and only appear to add to the MSRP. Short version, do not add dealer add-ons to the monroney when calculating % off

My final deal that I took for a 2021 AWD GT /w PP in Black is updated below in Mass. I negotiated with 13 dealerships in Mass and NH. This was the lowest I was able to get after 2 weeks of haggle for an end of month deal. It was very tough to get folks to come down on this years model. I would say if you are really looking for a >12% off deal, go for a 2020 model. They are making crazy deals on that year. Each dealer offered me 13% to 16% off on 2020s, but I wanted the new infotainment and screen size, :D. I was able to get them to add all weather mats and splash guards front and back at no cost to me which is not represented in the MSRP 60+60+125 = 245. Almost 11% off all things considered.

After watching Kevin Hunter and Your Auto Advocate videos, I just implemented their advice. As a first time car buyer I feel I did okay for a model year with so many 2020s still on the lots I shopped at. FWIW I did not make any offers until I started to feel a dealer would not go lower just to see if they would do my dream deal of 13% off on a 2021.

MSRP: 34,650
Selling Price: 31,000
Doc Fee: 499
Tax: 1968.69
Inspec Sticker 35
Reg Fee: 60
Title Fee: 75

Final: 33,637.69

Congrats on your new purchase. Now I'm searching for the 2021 CX5 GT as well, instead of the 2020s in the Boston area. If you don't mind, can you please share the dealership and salesperson you got your deals from? I'm also waiting for the Carbon Edition to arrive so I can see in person.

I've tried Prime Mazda Norwood, they give only $2,900 OFF the 2021 CX5 GT w/PP.

Thanks for the advice. Very big help. I am looking at a 2021 Signature. Only buy a car once every 10 years so i want it all. Do you think i can get 15% off this car? And has anyone bought a Sig for a point of reference on cost?

Thanks for the advice. Very big help. I am looking at a 2021 Signature. Only buy a car once every 10 years so i want it all. Do you think i can get 15% off this car? And has anyone bought a Sig for a point of reference on cost?

At least a couple of us got 15% off 2020 Signatures earlier this year, but I HIGHLY doubt that's possible on a 2021 for two reasons - brand new model year and automakers are struggling to keep up with demand, so discounts are rare. It's a great time to SELL a vehicle, though! :)

At least a couple of us got 15% off 2020 Signatures earlier this year, but I HIGHLY doubt that's possible on a 2021 for two reasons - brand new model year and automakers are struggling to keep up with demand, so discounts are rare. It's a great time to SELL a vehicle, though! :)
Run a True Car request. But reemember, that's a starting point because they give you a low price but then show you the deal add-ons that "are already on the car"

Congrats on your new purchase. Now I'm searching for the 2021 CX5 GT as well, instead of the 2020s in the Boston area. If you don't mind, can you please share the dealership and salesperson you got your deals from? I'm also waiting for the Carbon Edition to arrive so I can see in person.

I'm curious too. I want a 2021 GTR in eternal blue mica, and there is only one around here. Going to see what North Shore Mazda will do for me tomorrow. They have it. But True Car is saying <1% off MSRP. If that's the best they will do, then I'll just wait for December or January.

I would probably be satisfied with $3K off.

Mark

Hello,

I'm about to negotiate for a 2021 Gray Grand Touring in Buffalo, NY. Looking to get the roof rails. What should be my offer and what would be a number that is considered a good deal? The dealer said the 0% financing ends at the end of October. I don't recall hearing anything about that. Thanks for your help.
According to Mazda, the 0% deal is only good on 2020 model year cars. And Mazda currently says "Must take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 11/2/20". Finance rate for 2021 CX-5 is 1.9%.

You can review all the incentives here: MazdaUSA Incentives

It wouldn't shock me if they extend the 0% until the 2020 models are all gone. And then maybe they will apply it to the 2021 models, but maybe not until the holiday sales.

Mark

I am going to buy December 30th. I am in no hurry .

Don't take this personally. While many believe, and it's true that there are monthly or yearly manufacturer bonuses to dealer for meeting certain sales goal, the problem is that for all you know that dealer may have met al his goals on December 27th. One thing is certain though, as the year moves on there will be fewer 2020's left. As it is now, there are people that can't find the color/options they are looking for

I went to Mastria Mazda.

finally pulled the trigger on a cx-5. Ended up closing on a 2021 GT in white

MSRP - $34,045
Sales Price - $31,500
Trade in - $16000
doc fee - 75

Might not have gotten the best price but they worked with me on trade-in. I spoke to another dealer in PA and he was able to give me 30,574 but doc fee was 389 and trade in was only 15K.

Congrats on the new car. White's the best color for a CX-5, IMO. (y)

Out of curiosity, what was the car that you traded in?

Previously had been looking at a '20 but decided to wait for a '21. I lose out on the 0% financing but on the '20 they were offering a 6.5% discount off MSRP, for the '21 they're offering 7.68% off. Sure, there is a higher cost due to the 1.9% financing vs 0%, but seem worth it for a '21

2021 Signature model
No options
$38505 MSRP incl destination fee
$35547 selling price when using the 1.9%/60 mo financing
$ 150 doc fee
no dealer added options

Last edited:
2021 GTR MSRP $37,570, $2,366 dealer discount, $1,000 dealer engagement rebate. $34,204 before tax and fees. I bought from a high volume dealer that gets a lot of bonus' from Mazda. Plus three other dealers had GTR's in Machine Grey.

Latest posts

Back