What did you pay for your CX-5?

The $37.5 includes all taxes and fees, including the extra $1k due to 0% financing. So to compare to non-financed deals, it would be more like $36.5k - $230 TTL - 9.5% tax = $33,123. Is that right? Or is this extra $1k removal due to 0% wrong? Trying to compare apples to apples.

Here's the complete quote for 2020 Signature in Machine Gray, which would go with 0 down and 0% financing (so an extra $1k added to total price). Dealer is eating doc fees. No special discounts/rebates apply to me. I see $34,675 with $500 rebate is a kind of an ordinary price, but I think that's only ordinary if you don't take into account the 0 down/0%. To compare apples to apples with other/non-0% deals, the equivalent would be to reduce this by $1k, right?

"Cost of Vehicle: $34,675,80
9.5% sales tax equaling $3294.20
A titling fee of $30

$38,000

Minus $500 Dealer rebate at 0% APR

$37,500 OTD at 0% APR."

Picked up a new 2020 signature the other night, the dark blue color, in Minnesota:
MSRP 38,100 (must've gone up since, I see 38,255 on searches)
Discounts -4943 (double owner loyalty 3000, healthcare wkr 500, just a discount 1443)
Sale price 33,157
Trade -13000 (2014 CX5 GT AWD w/48k miles; carmax offered me 12000 cash, carvana 13600 - very clean car w/newish Michelins)
Tax on 20157, title/license doc fees another 1806.

I was happy. I went in willing to pay more than this. This was the dealer's first offer to me, and I was so pleased I passed on spending an hour working them down more.

Not to beat anybody up, but just information for the next person. I understand that you didn't want to spend an hour to beat him up for a lower-price. But If that was his first offer, then you could have just said, "do it for 300 less and I'll take it it right now, otherwise I have to go home and think about it overnight". it would have taken 3 minutes for $300. Ultimately though, a year from now enjoying the car and won't even notice

I'm looking for opinions on a price range for a '20 Signature (standard color) within 150 miles of Chicago, IL. Pulling the trigger by the end of the month. No trade-in, 0% financing, and Mazda loyalty. What do you guys think?

I'm looking for opinions on a price range for a '20 Signature (standard color) within 150 miles of Chicago, IL. Pulling the trigger by the end of the month. No trade-in, 0% financing, and Mazda loyalty. What do you guys think?
So here's the step by step on how I got what I thought was a good price...

1st I went to True Car (I think) and gave them my info. Got a few responses almost immediately. Now, see the attached "offer" I got.

2nd) I worked with that "your offer" price and ignored all those BS add-on except the DOC fee - yeah, it's BS too but hard to get around unless you re-negotiate selling price.

3rd) I emailed or called that dealer and others. I took the 'Your Offer" (in this case we'll use the $33743 shown) and said "so, does that mean I can wait for another car to come in that you "didn't already add" those dealer installed items, and you can sell it to me for $33743, plus your doc fee, less my $1,500 Mazda Loyalty and $500 healthcare cash back?" (your eligible rebates may vary)

4th) Told them "if you can I'll be in today" Got my 2020 Signature for $32.495. Post 6409 seems to have got the same price, but $3000 rebate instead of my $2000. YMMV

The thing is, they never intend to sell you the car for that "your offer' listed in their reply, it's just a starting point before that add the near worthless dealer add-ons. Tell them your're ready to buy now and see how quick they can make those other charges disappear.

Maybe take our price to your dealer?

Attachments

• best cx5 price.jpg
    best cx5 price.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 370
tax equaling $3294.20
A titling fee of $30
So here's the step by step on how I got what I thought was a good price...

1st I went to True Car (I think) and gave them my info. Got a few responses almost immediately. Now, see the attached "offer" I got.

2nd) I worked with that "your offer" price and ignored all those BS add-on except the DOC fee - yeah, it's BS too but hard to get around unless you re-negotiate selling price.

3rd) I emailed or called that dealer and others. I took the 'Your Offer" (in this case we'll use the $33743 shown) and said "so, does that mean I can wait for another car to come in that you "didn't already add" those dealer installed items, and you can sell it to me for $33743, plus your doc fee, less my $1,500 Mazda Loyalty and $500 healthcare cash back?" (your eligible rebates may vary)

4th) Told them "if you can I'll be in today" Got my 2020 Signature for $32.495. Post 6409 seems to have got the same price, but $3000 rebate instead of my $2000. YMMV

The thing is, they never intend to sell you the car for that "your offer' listed in their reply, it's just a starting point before that add the near worthless dealer add-ons. Tell them your're ready to buy now and see how quick they can make those other charges disappear.

Maybe take our price to your dealer?
Those are insane fees they added on 😂. Even the doc fee at 499 is ridiculous. The 4,357 dealer discount is amazing though, wish i can find a discount like that in the north east

Yeah, that price doesn't really exist. They want you to think, "hey, $33,743 is an insanely good deal" and then that line about "oh, that other stuff is already on the car, we can't take it off/have to charge you"

Anyway, you've seen in post #6409 and #6383 that you can get the Signature can be sold for $33,118 and $32,495 depending on which discounts you qualify for. (I don't count TTL as they vary by state)

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that I post the same stuff (but with a different TrueCar quote) in an earlier post.

Last edited:
2020 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD with Premium Package

MSRP: 33,685
Dealer Discount: - 3,435
Mfg Rebate: - 1,500
Accessories: + 299
Taxes: + 1,914.42 (Texas)
Fees: + 842
Final Sale Price: 31,805.42

I was going to just pay all cash but need to build my wife's credit so financed at 2.89 through a credit union the dealership uses. I will end up paying it all off in 9 months anyways so the interest charge doesn't bother me. Most quotes I got all had about the same dealer fees. The accessories I didn't really pay attention to but I think that may be some film guard stuff dealers add on. Overall I think I did alright I maybe could have gotten a slightly better but didn't feel like haggling too much.

Not to beat anybody up, but just information for the next person. I understand that you didn't want to spend an hour to beat him up for a lower-price. But If that was his first offer, then you could have just said, "do it for 300 less and I'll take it it right now, otherwise I have to go home and think about it overnight". it would have taken 3 minutes for $300. Ultimately though, a year from now enjoying the car and won't even notice
nah, there's no 3 minutes there. I've done it dozens of times in my many years of living. They let you sit.

Fine, I'll spend 30 minutes to save $300. Bottom line is, if you're accepting their first offer, they got at least $300 to play with if you start walking towards the door. Tell them you don't have an hour to wait for the manager. Maybe you guys are richer than me, but I don't make six hundred bucks an hour. So $300 for 30 minutes of my time is worth it. I guarantee you they would sell cars all day long if all the customer wanted was $300 less than their first offer

Fine, I'll spend 30 minutes to save $300. Bottom line is, if you're accepting their first offer, they got at least $300 to play with if you start walking towards the door. Tell them you don't have an hour to wait for the manager. Maybe you guys are richer than me, but I don't make six hundred bucks an hour. So $300 for 30 minutes of my time is worth it. I guarantee you they would sell cars all day long if all the customer wanted was $300 less than their first offer
I get it; I'm fully aware I could have worked them down. Probably even more than 3

My wife picked up a white 2020 Signature in Michigan two weeks ago (last business day in May)

$38,555 MSRP
$36,400 dealer price
$3,000 in incentives, (loyalty, health care, and employee pricing is what I was told)

$33,400 sale price before TTL.
(or 13.3% off MSRP)

Probably had a bit more in it but they were super easy to work with and made it happen for us on very short notice from first contact so I didn't have it in me to fight for a few hundred more.

Jack

ps. I'm still shocked how much better this is than our 17 Grand Touring we had before it. We loved it but the turbo and interior improvements really take it up a notch. This time we also drove a top trim Infiniti qx50 and BMX x3 and a few other higher end SUVs in this size range and this is damn near as good for $20k-30k less.

pps. Heard some Ridgeline talk in here over the past couple months. Super happy with this combo right now. Both are clear standouts in their classes imo.
1592223123673.png

Last edited:

Aim for 33,xxx before TTL depending on color.

We got approved for 1.9% for 60 mo with an A credit rating. We don't plan to keep it more than 2-3 years and will make larger than the minimum payment so it made more sense to take the cash incentives than the 0% for us. If you plan to keep it 4+ years and make the standard payment then the 0% is the right way to go IMO.

Jack

Try out Pugi Mazda in Downers Grove. I just bought a CX-30 for my wife 2 weeks ago and their first offer beat 8 other dealerships in the area after 2 months of quoting. They were great to work with

I've been following this forum for years now, saved responsibly and waited patiently. It seemed like the time was right, and I finally got my dream CX-5 last night. 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Eternal Blue, purchased in Maryland.

MSRP: $36,325 (with freight)
Dealer Discount: -4,693.43 (-12.9% off MSRP)
Cash Sales Price: 31,541.57
Doc fee: 299
Taxes: 1790.44
Title, registration, etc: 279
Subtotal: 33,910.01
Loyalty Rebate (put towards down payment): -1,500
OTD: 32,410

Trade In: 2,000 (2011 Mazda3, matched Carmax appraisal)
3.9% financing for 63 months through BoA

Also going to pick up some accessories at cost this week.

---

Total price and monthly payments with a nice sized down payment somehow turned out to be less OTD and smaller monthly payments compared to taking the 0% down offer. Not quite sure why, but I went for it. I plan on paying off earlier with extra towards principle monthly, and working with my credit union to refinance at their 3.25% rate, so I'm not overly concerned.

Shout out to Tomato for answering questions and providing some guidance in PM!

Total price and monthly payments with a nice sized down payment somehow turned out to be less OTD and smaller monthly payments compared to taking the 0% down offer. Not quite sure why, but I went for it.

Something doesn't add up here.

Payments should be $534.58 at 3.9% for 63 months or $506.83 at 0% for 60 months through Mazda.

Something doesn't add up here.

Payments should be $534.58 at 3.9% for 63 months or $506.83 at 0% for 60 months through Mazda.

The quote they gave me for 0% down had a different OTD value of 34,500, saying something about additional dealer rebates beyond the 1500 Mazda loyalty that didn't work in coordination with the 0% offer. After down payment, the monthly payment difference for higher APR/lower OTD was $10/mo less vs 0%/higher OTD.

And since I'll be paying extra principle monthly and paying off earlier, I'll likely come out further ahead beyond that.

Back