What did you pay for your CX-5?

Looking to get a 19 Touring AWD with the PP package (MSRP = 30,435). I went to a dealer who had on their website a sales price of $27,500. I wondered If I could get the Mazda's $1500 rebate off that price. I went to the dealer and they offered me a price of 28,800 plus taxes and title fees (can't remember exact numbers). I mentioned that the sales manager sent me an email and said he would sell me $1,000 off factory invoice. They said the price already includes that. I said what happened to the price from your website and they said it included the 1500 off, military and loyalty discount. They wouldn't go lower than the $27,500 and I imagine my OTD would probably be 2k or 3k more which is more than what I've seen here. They were willing to throw in the military and loyalty discount even though I don't qualify for but I felt like I was being deceived. They kept focusing on payments and wouldn't provide an OTD price so I walked out.

How can I find out what the factory invoice is?

Should I not bring up Mazda's 1500 rebate until the end? It's a rebate from the manufacturer so it shouldn't be part of a "dealer discount" right?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask for the dealer discount BEFORE customer cash and/or owner loyalty. The customer cash/loyalty comes from Mazda, not the dealer. When the dealer starts playing games it's time to walk away.

Dealers in NJ seem to be discounting a 2019 GTR anywhere between $2,000 to $2500 or roughly 7% prior to rebates. Not many left on dealer lots. I found 3 new ones in a 25 mile radius of where I live. You may be able to do better on a non turbo since they have a whole lot more of them in stock. Also, if you're not paying cash or arranging your own financing, the .09% goes for 63 months now. Seems better than the $1000 rebate.

We bought a 2019 CX-5 Touring. Dark Blue, beige seats. No preferred package.
Price $27309 minus my wife's 2010 Forester($4000 trade in). Our cash price out the door was $23309.00
I am getting Bridgestone Blizzaks on alloy rims Friday for $1379 from Town Fair Tire.

2019 CX-5 Signature Machine Gray:

MSRP: $38,235
Dealer Discount: $3,235
Mazda Rebate: $1,000
Total (before trade/tax/tags): $34,500

NJ/PA

Was dealing with a few dealerships with identical cars, no luck getting any lower. Financed with rate of 2.78. This particular dealership went ~$1000 more on my trade than the next closest. Also threw in a set of the all weather floor mats.

First post here and potential first-time CX-5 owner. I've been gathering quotes for 2019 CX-5 GT's in Blue/Parchment around the DC area for the past few days. I've got two dealers quoting me $30.5k OTD after $1k customer cash and $500 mil/vet cash. Another dealer quoted me $29.5k but only had one on the lot, then it was sold before I could get over there. That dealer just called and said they have a 2020 GT in Blue/Parchment that "just arrived from the port" that they'll match the $29.5k OTD on. My spidey-sense is telling me "too good to be true" on that latest deal. Thoughts? Things to watch for? Bait'n'switch?

First post here and potential first-time CX-5 owner. I've been gathering quotes for 2019 CX-5 GT's in Blue/Parchment around the DC area for the past few days. I've got two dealers quoting me $30.5k OTD after $1k customer cash and $500 mil/vet cash. Another dealer quoted me $29.5k but only had one on the lot, then it was sold before I could get over there. That dealer just called and said they have a 2020 GT in Blue/Parchment that "just arrived from the port" that they'll match the $29.5k OTD on. My spidey-sense is telling me "too good to be true" on that latest deal. Thoughts? Things to watch for? Bait'n'switch?
JCM Is this for CX-5 GT FWD? I reached out to several dealers in the metropolitan area too and the best price I received so far is $31k OTD for the same vehicle and color. Let me know how it goes with the dealer and if possible the dealer info so hopefully I can get them to match $29.5k too. Good luck!

JCM Is this for CX-5 GT FWD? I reached out to several dealers in the metropolitan area too and the best price I received so far is $31k OTD for the same vehicle and color. Let me know how it goes with the dealer and if possible the dealer info so hopefully I can get them to match $29.5k too. Good luck!

I have been requesting prices for AWD but now that you bring it up I'm not sure if they're quoting AWD or FWD. I'll have to verify in the morning before I head over. If it's FWD then I'll pass.

$10,200 off MSRP for 2019 CX5 diesel if anyone is interested. MSRP=$42,xxx. So, you are looking at $32,000 before TTL. Not a bad deal if you want a diesel.
Mazda of Fremont. 10 available (not sure what they ordered 10.... bad planning)

Please let me know if this is good, I am getting confused by different comparisons:

Southern California
Mazda 2019 CX-5 (FWD) Grand Touring in White

MSRP $ 31,290
Dealer discount - $ 2,690
Subtotal - $28,600 (9.14% off MSRP)
Dealer Incentives - $1,500 (0.90% financing or $1,500)
Subtotal v2 - $27,100 (13.4% off MSRP)
--------------------------------------
Tax - $2,223.09
Doc Fee - $85
MVSC Fee - $30
Title/Reg Fee - $216
Tire Fee - $8.75
--------------------------------------
OTD - $29,849.84

Think i can go lower? Am i get the 9.14% off msrp or 13.4% off msrp
PS. Keep in mind, this is a Grand Touring FWD (not reserve or AWD)

I've just started my search for a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (Red or Dark Blue), but I think I may have waited a bit too long on this. The inventory in the North East US is drying up a bit.

I've sent out the first round of emails,
(I live in New Hampshire, and there is no sales tax on the vehicle, and I will handle the registration & license plates myself at our local town offices)

The 6 dealers closest to me do not appear to have any inventory of GTR in those colors, but 6 other dealers - all within 250 miles - have responded.

The best one so far is this:
MSRP: $36,100 (deep crystal blue Mica with floor mats and cargo mat)
Discount: $2100
Rebates from Mazda: $1750 ($1000 customer cash and $750 loyalty for my 2003 Miata)
Government Fees: $72.50
Doc Fees: $75
OTD: $32,397.50

The second best one is this:
MSRP: $36,705 (Red, so it's more expensive to start)
Discount: $2061
Rebates from Mazda: $1750
Doc/Processing fees: $499 (this really kills their pricing)
OTD: $33,394

I'm hoping to get your advice on how to write the responses to encourage a bit more discount out of these dealers. Any suggestions on how to word the email responses?

thank you

Dealers Document fee is a joke (not just Mazda, but others as well). It is for the Business Manager to shuffle some papers and try to talk you in to warranties. In NH a remote starter may be useful. If you are financing through the dealership, it might work out to about $7 a month. Also, make sure the floor mats are all-weather. They used to have an internet discount of $200. Ask if it is still available. Cheers!

I've just started my search for a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (Red or Dark Blue), but I think I may have waited a bit too long on this. The inventory in the North East US is drying up a bit.

I've sent out the first round of emails,
(I live in New Hampshire, and there is no sales tax on the vehicle, and I will handle the registration & license plates myself at our local town offices)

The 6 dealers closest to me do not appear to have any inventory of GTR in those colors, but 6 other dealers - all within 250 miles - have responded.

The best one so far is this:
MSRP: $36,100 (deep crystal blue Mica with floor mats and cargo mat)
Discount: $2100
Rebates from Mazda: $1750 ($1000 customer cash and $750 loyalty for my 2003 Miata)
Government Fees: $72.50
Doc Fees: $75
OTD: $32,397.50

Only a ~5.8% dealer discount? IMO: No way - pass so hard. Even in NJ / NY (Which is pretty stingy with dealer discount) you get about ~6.8% walking in the door.

With the advent of the 2020s arriving shortly (like a month or two) you can most likely get the same deal with the newer model year and your preferred color.

If your back is against the wall, I'd encourage you to at least work to 10% off. Then it would be a good deal.

I have noticed that there are very few 2019 GTR's left in the North East US - and I'd prefer Red or Blue, which limits it even further.
If you want a 2019 Sport or Touring or Grand Touring - there are lots of those left - but, we drove the 2.5 Turbo, and we're not giving that up.

This is just the first round of emails - I think there will be more rounds

I've had 2-3 dealers that want me to "stop by for a VIP meeting with their sales manager" - uh, no - I let them know that I will only stop by the dealership when I have selected the dealership and and ready to pay.
I've had a few others that desperately want to call me on the phone. My response has been, I'm "too busy" and "best reached by email". I did just get my first "we just had a price reduction" email.

I have even had my local dealer call - they don't have any more 2019 GTRs, and want me to buy a 2020 with a minor discount ($800). They were checking to see if I've been able to find any 2019 GTRs, after telling me there were none left in the North East.

The whole process is somewhat amusing.

The problem with going with 2020's is that I lose out on the $1000 of customer cash - and the 2020 GTRs are very slowly arriving at dealerships. If I could wait another 2-3 months, I think I could get a better deal on the 2020's.

Also - I hate the stupid "doc fee" or "dealer fee". I had one dealer years ago tell me it was "required". I said "fine, leave the $350 doc fee in there, and increase the cut the total price by $350 and we'll all be happy". I don't care what you call it, I consider the actual discount to be the discount minus the doc fee.

Not many of the 2019 Sig or GTR's left in Central NJ. My dealer gave me a $2450 discount on a white 2019 GTR. (it was the only one they had left and was not my first choice in color, really wanted the grey or dark blue). Was the best I could do at any of the dealerships in my area. They had a ridiculous $699 doc fee and almost walked out when I saw this but wasn't sure if the car I was trading in would make it to another dealership, so instead I got them to raise the trade in value from $500 to $1100, and had them throw in all season mats and wheel locks. (I forgot about the cargo mat, but found an OEM one on the web for $60 +$8 for shipping). I also was able to get an additional $750 loyalty rebate and took the 0.9 financing for 63 months. The trade in was really ready for the junk yard, it was an Outback with 200k miles, had a broken front axle (happened the day I traded it in) needed brakes, tires and a catalytic converter. Also had a broken front bumper with a missing fog light and a lot of body damage on the passenger side. It was basically worthless and it barely made it to the dealership. If I had more time I think I may have been able to do a bit better.

Not many of the 2019 Sig or GTR's left in Central NJ. My dealer gave me a $2450 discount on a white 2019 GTR. (it was the only one they had left and was not my first choice in color, really wanted the grey or dark blue). Was the best I could do at any of the dealerships in my area. They had a ridiculous $699 doc fee and almost walked out when I saw this but wasn't sure if the car I was trading in would make it to another dealership, so instead I got them to raise the trade in value from $500 to $1100, and had them throw in all season mats and wheel locks. (I forgot about the cargo mat, but found an OEM one on the web for $60 +$8 for shipping). I also was able to get an additional $750 loyalty rebate and took the 0.9 financing for 63 months. The trade in was really ready for the junk yard, it was an Outback with 200k miles, had a broken front axle (happened the day I traded it in) needed brakes, tires and a catalytic converter. Also had a broken front bumper with a missing fog light and a lot of body damage on the passenger side. It was basically worthless and it barely made it to the dealership. If I had more time I think I may have been able to do a bit better.

I'm from Central NJ as well - don't feel too bad about your deal you did well. Dealers are brutal in our area and don't discount much like our VA or CA cousins.

CX5's must be selling extremely well in the northeast at MSRP pricing based on dealer sales tactics.
A Hartford CT dealer lost out on 2 sales to friends of ours, refused to discount off MSRP other then Mazda qualified rebates. When they asked about .9% financing they were told no rebates would apply if they took the finance option. They went across the street and bought 2 new Subaru's instead at significant savings off MSRP (I know different cars but no discounting off MSRP is a shock when in most situations there is wiggle room)

I ran into the same situation, MA dealer and CT dealers refusing to budge off MSRP pricing on LEFTOVER new 2019's.

I Decided to purchase preowned as 2019's have been showing up and just completed a deal on a 14k mile 2019 GT, should take delivery on Tuesday. Dealer in RI, very pleased with the price and saved over 7k from buying new.

Good luck to those up in the northeast purchasing new, might take alot of patience in negotiations, I'm sure with enough persistence it can pay off but seems like alot of effort would be required.

Back