What did you pay for your CX-5?

I finally bought my CX-5 signature 2021 from the same dealer as @P-51 Lover did. As a matter fact., I was referred by @P-51 Lover. I got 10% off MSRP too. Probably I could have done better at 12% off , waiting until month end or gotten to 15% off MSRP waiting until Dec end gauging through my conversations with the dealer. My MSRP was $39,500 and my final sale price was $35,554. My local county, city and state sales tax is around 7.5% , which I will pay at my local DMV, which takes out another $2670 from my pocket.
So what was my TCO on the car ("Total Cost of Ownership") ? $38,224 (sale price + TTL)
But YMMV depending on your state and city.
But for the purpose of this thread, what matters is the final sale price which was $35,554.

Did I do great on striking a deal? Not really, by my standards. But it didn't hurt me bad , nor was I overly pleased with it. I was a little impatient, hence I jumped fast. If I did not rush, 15% off is not impossible to strike.

If you are in GA around Atlanta, I did get 12% off MSRP from Roswell Mazda . However I did not want all the add on options the trim came with , because my final sale price on an identical 2021 CX-5 signature was $36,800. That would have increased my TCO too and I was unwilling to pay the extra $$ for bells and whistles like door trims, bumper guard etc. Hennessey also offered 12% off but they are not an exclusive mazda dealer. They are very unresponsive, unprofessional in their approach and I was unsure of driving all the way out there to make a deal.

This is a rather long post. I started a rookie in car hunt but gained lots of good advice from these threads and did my research and homework based on what experienced owners suggested.

Here is my take. Yes ! it does matter if you shop month end, better on quarter end and best is year end and you will get a deal. But it all depends on how desperate a dealer is to hit their quota. Some volume dealers in Orlando don't care. They offered 10% on a 2020 CX-5 in Feb 2021 and were confident, they will not go less. And they were right. They sold their lots in Mar 2021 . Same with dealers in Dallas. How far you are willing to travel to get a car is your call. You need to make a list of those dealerships and call them and maintain a spreadsheet or note on what's their best offer.

1.Ask dealers to send you a formal quote as a screenshot, pdf, image so that you can use it to leverage against other dealers. Again dealers might not be interested to compete nationwide with other dealers, but may be in their own city or state.

2. Use amex.trucar.com to see how much off MSRP dealers dealers are offering and start from there.

3. Reach out to members here if you are ignorant. Seek advice, if they are willing to respond - it wont lower your dignity :) or self-esteem because learning is a life long process. Nobody is perfect !

I finally bought my CX-5 signature 2021 from the same dealer as @P-51 Lover did. As a matter fact., I was referred by @P-51 Lover. I got 10% off MSRP too. Probably I could have done better at 12% off , waiting until month end or gotten to 15% off MSRP waiting until Dec end gauging through my conversations with the dealer. My MSRP was $39,500 and my final sale price was $35,554. My local county, city and state sales tax is around 7.5% , which I will pay at my local DMV, which takes out another $2670 from my pocket.
So what was my TCO on the car ("Total Cost of Ownership") ? $38,224 (sale price + TTL)
But for the purpose of this thread, what matters is the final sale price which was $35,554.

Did I do great on striking a deal? Not really, by my standards. But it didn't hurt me bad , nor was I overly pleased with it. I was a little impatient, hence I jumped fast. If I did not rush, 15% off is not impossible to strike.

If you are in GA around Atlanta, I did get 12% off MSRP from Roswell Mazda . However I did not want all the add on options the trim came with , because my final sale price on an identical 2021 CX-5 signature was $36,800. That would have increased my TCO too and I was unwilling to pay the extra $$ for bells and whistles like door trims, bumper guard etc. Hennessey also offered 12% off but they are not an exclusive mazda dealer. They are very unresponsive, unprofessional in their approach and I was unsure of driving all the way out there to make a deal.

This is a rather long post. I started a rookie in car hunt but gained lots of good advice from these threads and did my research and homework based on what experienced owners suggested.

Here is my take. Yes ! it does matter if you shop month end, better on quarter end and best is year end and you will get a deal. But it all depends on how desperate a dealer is to hit their quota. Some volume dealers in Orlando don't care. They offered 10% on a 2020 CX-5 in Feb 2021 and were confident, they will not go less. And they were right. They sold their lots in Mar 2021 . Same with dealers in Dallas. How far you are willing to travel to get a car is your call. You need to make a list of those dealerships and call them and maintain a spreadsheet or note on what's their best offer.

1.Ask dealers to send you a formal quote as a screenshot, pdf, image so that you can use it to leverage against other dealers. Again dealers might not be interested to compete nationwide with other dealers, but may be in their own city or state.

2. Use amex.trucar.com to see how much off MSRP dealers dealers are offering and start from there.

3. Reach out to members here if you are ignorant. Seek advice, if they are willing to respond - it wont lower your dignity :) or self-esteem because learning is a life long process. Nobody is perfect !
Good post. I found this forum right after I bought , basically did just #1 and kept looking for dealers to beat my lowest offer. Rinse, repeat with the new lowest offer. I stopped when they started saying they cant match.

EDIT: Just did the math, my MSRP discount is 9%, under what others seem to have gotten on this forum.

Last edited:

Congrats on the purchase. Did your sales price include any owner loyalty or additional savings from not taking the special financing? Thanks.

My MSRP was $39,500 and my final sale price was $35,554.
Ding Ding Ding - finally someone that realizes that the only number to compare is all costs before TT&L, as that will change (and doesn't go in the dealers pocket) based on where you buy and where/how you title and license the car. OTD is a non-sequitur and an obfuscation (look up those 2 terms) when it comes to discussing "what did you pay".

Congrats on the purchase. Did your sales price include any owner loyalty or additional savings from not taking the special financing? Thanks.
No. It did not include any loyalty or military discounts. I got 0.9% APR financing from other financial institutions.

Truecar shows(excellent price) $35541 for LA area.
Is trucar reliable? I thought they were closely affiliated with dealers.

EDIT: Just checked TruCar and according to their pricing analysis anything over 6% off MSRP is an "Excellent price"

Last edited:
Yes. I used it as a base for negotiations. I too read about trucar reviews and how they are hand in glove with dealers, before I jumped in. You just have to try it out for yourself. I even opened up tickets or service request with trucar consultants, if a dealer acted suspicious. They cant override, but they will ping the dealer. So you can tell, I did quite some homework within 3 weeks from zero to purchasing :)
Dealers usually honor the price unless they are slimy. Preferably use https://amexnetwork.truecar.com because it will give you $100-$300 less than trucar. But amex requires you to enter your zip search , which is fine. For me , a referral from @P-51 Lover and all my research on pricing in that area worked in my favor.

@hal2 @sm1ke @P-51 Lover are some seasoned buyers and good resources on this thread, just to name a few. Search this thread, where people shared their experience and offered responses. That will help with your buying experience and decision making.

Everytime I get a price from TC, the dealer then has a bunch of overpriced or useless garbage. Their "Your Offer" price starts at $34,000 then gets to $36,000 after their tint/paint shield/vin etching and stuff.

Everytime I get a price from TC, the dealer then has a bunch of overpriced or useless garbage. Their "Your Offer" price starts at $34,000 then gets to $36,000 after their tint/paint shield/vin etching and stuff.

My MSRP was $39,500 and my final sale price was $35,554. My local county, city and state sales tax is around 7.5% , which I will pay at my local DMV, which takes out another $2670 from my pocket.

Congratulations!

Can you please share an itemized breakdown of the costs? For example:
  • MSRP
  • Total Savings
  • Adjusted Price
  • Add Ons
  • Total Purchase
  • Taxable Fees (Estimated)
  • Doc Fee
  • Tax
  • Non Tax Fees
  • Total
I live in East Cobb, GA and am looking to get OTD prices from Mazda of Roswell, Jim Ellis Mazda Marietta, and Mall of Georgia Mazda, so this would be really helpful. No worries if you’d rather not share, just thought I’d ask. Thank you.

Congrats again.

Congratulations!

Can you please share an itemized breakdown of the costs? For example:
  • MSRP
  • Total Savings
  • Adjusted Price
  • Add Ons
  • Total Purchase
  • Taxable Fees (Estimated)
  • Doc Fee
  • Tax
  • Non Tax Fees
  • Total
I live in East Cobb, GA and am looking to get OTD prices from Mazda of Roswell, Jim Ellis Mazda Marietta, and Mall of Georgia Mazda, so this would be really helpful. No worries if you’d rather not share, just thought I’d ask. Thank you.

Congrats again.
@rolltide - I did not end up buying from Atlanta area eventually though I shopped there. And these dealers are least interested in competing outside their states. For Atl, Roswell & Hennessey offers 12% off MSRP thru Trucar. Use your negotiation skills and go from there. I am unsure about Jim Ellis, but you can give them a counter offer and they will respond.

I lacked patience, so ended up with 10% off MSRP. Probably lost $1000 in bargaining but I was getting tired of dealing with these folks.
However If you can go on and on beating these dealers on arguments, dealer holdbacks, incentives etc. and are a sales honcho by profession or a marketing savvy consumer, then negotiating 15% off MSRP is no biggie.
Well. You will find plenty of reports on the internet. You can write a whitepaper on Trucar if you like. As I said, I wanted to try it out rather than go in blind and start haggling on the price without a reference point. It worked for me, not necessarily it will for others.

Last edited:
Those are the cheesy dealers who actually dont want to honor the TruCar pricing.

If you are in IL, Hawk Mazda is offering 22-23% off MSRP on 2020's. I feel that is phenomenal. I was actually referred by @Jcbutta and I interacted with them over phone and emails quite a bit. However I switched to a signature which they did not have. They seem to be a decent dealership. You can read @Jcbutta 's threads on his purchase from there.

If buying a vehicle several states from home, one must also factor in the cost of traveling to and from the dealership to pick up the vehicle. You might negotiate a fantastic price, then eat up your savings in travel costs, time off from work, etc. Then what will you do if the dealer tries to screw you over once you get there? The older I get, the less tolerant I am to messing around trying to save the last dime on any purchase, even though I am basically a cheapskate at heart. But at the same time, I recognize some folks enjoy the negotiation process and I applaud them. Just an observation.

Last couple of posts moved.

This is a thread for discussing prices paid for the CX-5. It is not a thread to discuss general finance management, or comment on how others spend their money. I went ahead and created a thread for such discussion here.

We want this thread to be easy to look through so potential buyers have an easier time referencing the prices other people have paid. Please stay on topic - any further off-topic posts in this thread may be deleted.

What is a good discount off MSRP for new 2020 CX-5? I have seen here that people are getting 12-15% off MSRP for 2021 CX-5. I did not see the same for new 2020. Anyone recently got a good deal?

@rolltide - I did not end up buying from Atlanta area eventually though I shopped there. And these dealers are least interested in competing outside their states. For Atl, Roswell & Hennessey offers 12% off MSRP thru Trucar. Use your negotiation skills and go from there. I am unsure about Jim Ellis, but you can give them a counter offer and they will respond.

I lacked patience, so ended up with 10% off MSRP. Probably lost $1000 in bargaining but I was getting tired of dealing with these folks.
However If you can go on and on beating these dealers on arguments, dealer holdbacks, incentives etc. and are a sales honcho by profession or a marketing savvy consumer, then negotiating 15% off MSRP is no biggie.

Well. You will find plenty of reports on the internet. You can write a whitepaper on Trucar if you like. As I said, I wanted to try it out rather than go in blind and start haggling on the price without a reference point. It worked for me, not necessarily it will for others.
Does destination fee count in MSRP? Dealers quote MSRP + 1100 dest fee. How do you calculated %off MSRP? Including dest fee or excluding?

What is a good discount off MSRP for new 2020 CX-5? I have seen here that people are getting 12-15% off MSRP for 2021 CX-5. I did not see the same for new 2020. Anyone recently got a good deal?
For whats its worth there were no 2020s near me in NYC but I did find one in Maryland, a 2020 GT with no package, listed for 29000. This price must have included some factory incentive to move 2020s because the price went up in March. IIRC it had a similar MSRP to the same 2021 GT, so around 33k. I didnt contact them but most likely could have gotten it for less.

As for calculating, i use the msrp at the bottom of the window sticker. All of the fees and add ons add to the price. Youd only make yourself feel better by not including them.

Does destination fee count in MSRP? Dealers quote MSRP + 1100 dest fee. How do you calculated %off MSRP? Including dest fee or excluding?
No, MSRP includes destination. Well, I guess technically there's MSRP and Total MSRP, so he's not really wrong, but he actually is wrong
PXL_20210325_012958117.jpg

Back