What did you pay for your CX-5?

Worried about fuel economy.
Have 2017 CX5 GT and fuel economy is quite poor.

Fuel economy is not one of the CX-5's best attributes. I've been averaging just under the combined EPA rating of 24 in my '20 Signature.

According to Fuelly.com:

"Based on data from 65 vehicles, 1,965 fuel-ups and 518,335 miles of driving, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 25.11 with a 0.18 MPG margin of error." (2.5L non-turbo FWD & AWD)

"Based on data from 41 vehicles, 1,292 fuel-ups and 333,187 miles of driving, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 24.71 with a 0.21 MPG margin of error." (2.5L turbo AWD)

So, there doesn't appear to be much real-world fuel economy disadvantage in exchange for the turbocharged engined and AWD.

For the 2017 CX-5, Fuelly.com reports:

"Based on data from 153 vehicles, 8,977 fuel-ups and 2,429,353 miles of driving, the 2017 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 24.95 with a 0.08 MPG margin of error."

So, unless there's something wrong with your 2017 CX-5 resulting in what you consider to be "quite poor" fuel economy, it's likely that a 2020 turbo or non-turbo would return similarly "quite poor" fuel economy.

Fuel economy is not one of the CX-5's best attributes. I've been averaging just under the combined EPA rating of 24 in my '20 Signature.

According to Fuelly.com:

"Based on data from 65 vehicles, 1,965 fuel-ups and 518,335 miles of driving, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 25.11 with a 0.18 MPG margin of error." (2.5L non-turbo FWD & AWD)

"Based on data from 41 vehicles, 1,292 fuel-ups and 333,187 miles of driving, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 24.71 with a 0.21 MPG margin of error." (2.5L turbo AWD)

So, there doesn't appear to be much real-world fuel economy disadvantage in exchange for the turbocharged engined and AWD.

For the 2017 CX-5, Fuelly.com reports:

"Based on data from 153 vehicles, 8,977 fuel-ups and 2,429,353 miles of driving, the 2017 Mazda CX-5 gets a combined Avg MPG of 24.95 with a 0.08 MPG margin of error."

So, unless there's something wrong with your 2017 CX-5 resulting in what you consider to be "quite poor" fuel economy, it's likely that a 2020 turbo or non-turbo would return similarly "quite poor" fuel economy.

Thank you for that information.
in the city here in Boston, it’s hard to get more than 22mpg. On a 95% highway drive I can sometimes get to 27-28mpg but never can get anywhere close to 30.
Even though my civic was rated like 35 mpg highway, I frequently got 42-45mpg if I drove conservative.
Anyways maybe worth checking out the reserve than for the increased screen size and better engine then.

any thoughts on the pricing

Thank you for that information.
in the city here in Boston, it’s hard to get more than 22mpg. On a 95% highway drive I can sometimes get to 27-28mpg but never can get anywhere close to 30.
Even though my civic was rated like 35 mpg highway, I frequently got 42-45mpg if I drove conservative.
Anyways maybe worth checking out the reserve than for the increased screen size and better engine then.

any thoughts on the pricing

I pay cash for my vehicles, but I'm sure others can guide you on lease pricing.

The turbo engine's massive torque inspires a lot of confidence (and fun) and makes the non-turbo feel rather lazy - particularly while passing and merging.

The extra inch of screen size may not sound like much, but going from 7" to 8" is like going from a 65" TV to a 75" TV. The difference becomes very apparent when you get used to the 8" then go back to a 7" which looks somewhat lilliputian. :)

I've often been able to meet or beat the EPA estimates on my Hondas as well. I'll gladly give up some fuel economy for driving enjoyment, though. Most Hondas are very practical and efficient, but their reliability has declined to below-average in recent years and they're not the most exciting vehicles to drive. Mazda reminds me of how Honda used to be back in the 80s and 90s before they tried to go too mainstream resulting in sacrifices in quality.

Bought a 2020 GT with Turbo (or GTR as known outside of Canada for $36,350 CDN (includes $600 military discount) + freight and taxes.

How'd I do?

Beware of excessive Fees. Here is FL., the fees aren't caped so dealers often charge ~ $1,000 when other states are legally caped at 2 to $300. There can be "exras" like pin stripping, glass etching the vin #, uppostury scotch guarded etc. You don't need to buy these extras if you don't want them. Ed

2020 GT w/ Turbo in Machine Grey Metallic. In Canadian dollars. How'd I do?

Edit - Traded 2011 Cruze with 165,000km

Untitled.png

Last edited:
It's the trade that may determine how well you did. If you traded in a Ferrari, I'd say you got screwed. :)
Haha good point. 9.5 year old Cruze with 165,000km

Needed some work and their used value blows. Maybe could have got $3000 in private sale. But $2000 from dealer pre tax means $2300 in discount on the car, $700 more wasn't worth the effort to sell privately to me.

Hi all, new member here and first time buyer.
I’m going to test drive a 2019 Touring with Preferred package tomorrow in PA. It has 4600 miles on it.
Retail Value $27,050
Dealer Value $25,600
Sales tax and fees ~ $2600 for OTD price of
$28,200
1.9% financing for 60 months

Is this a good deal? From searching around it seems to be in the ballpark of others with same trim and similar mileage.

Like @Kayleehow123, I am also a new member and first time buyer of Mazda. I've performed quite a bit of research nationwide. Currently working through a negotiation with a dealer for this vehicle at the following price for a white 2020 CX-5 GT FWD without premium package. I continue to hear that COVID has shutdown plants and limited inventory from all salesmen. The below OTD price includes the $1,500 dealer cash discount.

MSRP: $31,400
Vehicle Sale Price: $27,500
Taxes and Fees: $2,800
Out the Door: $ $30,300

Is 12.4% off MSRP sale price enough for me to complete the purchase?

Edit: This thread is detailed and this community seems very helpful. I appreciate all the content and discussions!

Last edited:
Hello all,
First timer here. I'm very happy I found this Community, and am beyond excited to get our hands on our new CX-5. I have a feeling we are going to be a life long Mazda family.
I'd like to add to the data and would greatly appreciate your inputs on the deal I received the other day. We are new to the car buying process in general. I am going to learn a lot here.

Let me know if there's any other useful data I can provide. Thanks!

2020 CX-5 GT (AWD), PP (Machine Gray)
MSRP:34,735
Discount:2,619.41
Total Price:32,115
Rebates:0.00
Trade In:4,500 (KBB estimate was 5,000 - 6,200, it needed work)
Trade In Difference:27,615.59
Documentation Fee:495
Total Taxable:28,110.59
Sales Tax 6.25%:1,756.91
RMV Fees:132.50
Total Contract Price:30,000

Last edited:
I'm looking at a machine gray 2020 Signature with no accessories for $34,045 OTD with 0% financing. No special rebates for me (not healthcare worker or current Mazda owner). That figure excludes tax and title, which are 9.5% (Chicago, woof) and $220. How good of a deal is this? Should I be holding out for a better one? Advice much appreciated.

Edit: More detail, as I should have in the first place...
  • MSRP = $38,850
  • Don't know dealer discounts, just said "Chicago tax, I want OTD price of $37k with extras (cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray)" They responded with $37.5k, no extras, and haven't budged. Asked 4 other nearby dealers will come close to this.
  • No special discounts (not military, healthcare, or current Mazda owner).
  • TTL is $230, but that's folded into total OTD price of $37.5.
  • 0% financing for 60 months (I'm a dumbass for not including this in the first place)
  • $37,500 - $220 TTL - 9.5% tax = $34,045 at 0% for 60 months

Last edited:
I'm looking at a machine gray 2020 Signature with no accessories, for $34,045 OTD with 0% financing. No special rebates for me (not healthcare worker or current Mazda owner). That figure excludes tax and title, which are 9.5% (Chicago, woof) and $220. How good of a deal is this? Should I be holding out for a better one? Advice much appreciated.

Where are you located? seems like a good deal to me. Can you break down the MSRP, dealer discounts, TTL, etc?

Where are you located? seems like a good deal to me. Can you break down the MSRP, dealer discounts, TTL, etc?

Sorry, I'm a bit new to this and don't know what else you mean with 'etc.'
  • MSRP = $38,850
  • Don't know dealer discounts, just said "Chicago tax, I want OTD price of $37k with extras (cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray)" They responded with $37.5k, no extras, and haven't budged. Asked 4 other nearby dealers will come close to this.
  • 0% financing for 60 months (I'm a dumbass for not including this in the first place)
Anything else? Thanks vm for your help.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a machine gray 2020 Signature with no accessories, for $34,045 OTD with 0% financing. No special rebates for me (not healthcare worker or current Mazda owner). That figure excludes tax and title, which are 9.5% (Chicago, woof) and $220. How good of a deal is this? Should I be holding out for a better one? Advice much appreciated.
By definition, it it expludes TTL & Doc, then it's not OTD. Mine Signature was $32,495, but that was net of $1,500 loyalty and $500 healthcare worker. And I think got they worked that price based on not getting the 0% financing

see my post #6383 on page 320.

By definition, it it expludes TTL & Doc, then it's not OTD. Mine Signature was $32,495, but that was net of $1,500 loyalty and $500 healthcare worker

Yes I saw your prior post to that effect. To make sure I understood, my equivalent deal would be $34,495 (but without 0% financing), correct?

Thanks

Sorry, I'm a bit new to this and don't know what else you mean with 'etc.'
  • MSRP = $38,850
Anything else? Thanks vm for your help.

So the actual OTD is 37.5K after TTL and fees (34k before fees)? Seems like a standard price right now for the signature, I would try to get it lower and wait until the end of the month if you don't need a car right now.

So the actual OTD is 37.5K after TTL and fees (34k before fees)? Seems like a standard price right now for the signature, I would try to get it lower and wait until the end of the month if you don't need a car right now.

The $37.5 includes all taxes and fees, including the extra $1k due to 0% financing. So to compare to non-financed deals, it would be more like $36.5k - $230 TTL - 9.5% tax = $33,123. Is that right? Or is this extra $1k removal due to 0% wrong? Trying to compare apples to apples.

Back