What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Installed the low-profile rear headrests I bought from ghost_ix.
If you've been thinking of getting these...well...NO BRAINER!!!

(y)(y) for the headrests AND for ghost_ix!

Installed the low-profile rear headrests I bought from ghost_ix.
If you've been thinking of getting these...well...NO BRAINER!!!

(y)(y) for the headrests AND for ghost_ix!

You really like them that well, huh?

Gotta link you can share?

I do, without question, and I've only driven with them installed for about 2 hours, 1 in daylight and 1 after dark...I'm a short guy (5-1) and drive with the seat in it's highest position.
The low-profile headrests are the same height as the center headrest, and essentially added 2, maybe 3 inches of visibility above each headrest out the back via the rearview mirror.

I bought them from ghost_ix on the Marketplace here.

I did search online and in the forums once we got the '16 CX-5 for my wife.
The part number for the black leather is:
K072-88-240-02

Other info was in this thread:

They're about $48 each (plus shipping from Japan) from www.japanparts.com
And on Ebay, I see them for about $108 (plus shipping from UK)

I will be looking for similar for my '15 Forester!

I do, without question, and I've only driven with them installed for about 2 hours, 1 in daylight and 1 after dark...I'm a short guy (5-1) and drive with the seat in it's highest position.
The low-profile headrests are the same height as the center headrest, and essentially added 2, maybe 3 inches of visibility above each headrest out the back via the rearview mirror.

I bought them from ghost_ix on the Marketplace here.

I did search online and in the forums once we got the '16 CX-5 for my wife.
The part number for the black leather is:
K072-88-240-02

Other info was in this thread:

They're about $48 each (plus shipping from Japan) from www.japanparts.com
And on Ebay, I see them for about $108 (plus shipping from UK)

I will be looking for similar for my '15 Forester!
Thanks!

I recall reading that JDM thread not long after I joined here and thought it was more of a cosmetic thing that having enhanced functionality.

I gotta laugh...every time I buy a new car, I don't fret the payments, but I angst over the cost of accessorization! It's killin' me!!!

Yeah, there's several lengthy threads including pictures of the JDM rear headrests. I was on the fence myself but decided to give them a try. I second the opinion on improved visibility. That and being able to fold the rear seats without having to fiddle with the headrests. I've had them in for a little over a month now.
I opted for the gen1 JDM headrests for my 2019 GTR. They're slightly lower than the gen2 JDM ones although some people like the way the gen2 look better. There's plenty of comparison pictures in those threads.

I got them from Japanparts for around $123 for the pair shipped & took about 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, there's several lengthy threads including pictures of the JDM rear headrests. I was on the fence myself but decided to give them a try. I second the opinion on improved visibility. That and being able to fold the rear seats without having to fiddle with the headrests. I've had them in for a little over a month now.
I opted for the gen1 JDM headrests for my 2019 GTR. They're slightly lower than the gen2 JDM ones although some people like the way the gen2 look better. There's plenty of comparison pictures in those threads.

I got them from Japanparts for around $123 for the pair shipped & took about 2-3 weeks.
I may have to spring for these.

I'm all about more visibility.

It's funny, in this pic, the difference doesn't look massive... (Pic source: Candurin https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-low-profile-headrests.123866863/post-6672284

IMG_0870.jpeg

But in this one, it does. The shape fits on the seat much better than the NA one which just sits on top.

IMG_7040.jpeg

Installed LEDs I got as https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)...front/rear dome lights, both vanity lights, cargo hatch light, license plate. $16 for 9 bulbs.

It's still daylight out so I can't tell how well I like them.

The only complaint I have is that the ends on the OEM bulbs have sharp points, so they're held somewhat captive by the holes in each metal mounting tab in the front dome lights and cargo light (all others were standard clips-ins, not compression-retained). The Amazon aftermarket have more blunt ends, so you cannot install one side and then push the other into place...the first side slides free. You gotta push both ends in somewhat simultaneously. It's do-able but awkward...there's not a lot of space to get your fingers in there.

The interesting thing about LED bulbs is that they're directional; that is, the light does not project 360°...it projects straight out. So you can twist the dome bulbs to shine off to the right or the left instead of straight down. And you can likewise rotate the vanity bulbs so they don't shine right in your eyes. I'll have to play with them.

The kit also came with license plate light bulbs, but I'm having a hard time getting at them. I posted a question in How To.

The aftermarket ones are 'recessed' where they sit on top of the seatback, while the OEMs are not recessed at all, so the aftermarket headrests are exactly like the left side of the image Chocolate posted above.

The aftermarket ones are 'recessed' where they sit on top of the seatback, while the OEMs are not recessed at all, so the aftermarket headrests are exactly like the left side of the image Chocolate posted above.
Those low profile rear headrests are OEM too. They‘re used for Japanese domestic and other non-US markets on CX-5.

It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.

It just seems that if you look at the stitching in the top panel of the seat, the original headrest front meets the seam (is flush with the back), while the low profile headrest seems to protrude past it (and intrudes into the seating space by several inches).

Could just be an optical illusion.
The gen1 JDM headrests I got also protrude forward slightly but I'm fine with that as I practically never have rear seat passengers. My previous solution was to completely remove the outboard headrests. I now have headrests if I need them & improved rear visibility.

So have you sat in the seats after installing them?

I'm curious if they really shove your head forward as much as they look like they would.

I'm curious if they really shove your head forward as much as they look like they would.
They won’t for me even if I don’t raise the JDM headrests on my gen-1 CX-5. But if you’re taller and they hit your back uncomfortably, that means you need to pull up the headrest for safety reason as it’s positioned too low for you. The rear headrests on CX-3 and Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) are worse as the rear headrests are extended much farther down, and everyone except kids sitting in the back seat has to pull up the headrest or the headrest is hitting your back directly!

They won’t for me even if I don’t raise the JDM headrests on my gen-1 CX-5. But if you’re taller and they hit your back uncomfortably, that means you need to pull up the headrest for safety reason as it’s positioned too low for you. The rear headrests on CX-3 and Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) are worse as the rear headrests are extended much farther down, and everyone except kids sitting in the back seat has to pull up the headrest or the headrest is hitting your back directly!
Yeh, but even if you pull them up to the back of your head, it still looks like they'll be shoving you forward.

I don't want to beat it to death, but I don't want to drop dollars on something that's gonna be a problem when I have rear seat passengers.

It would be nice to hear from someone who had actually sat in the seat after these have been installed.

Yeh, but even if you pull them up to the back of your head, it still looks like they'll be shoving you forward.

I don't want to beat it to death, but I don't want to drop dollars on something that's gonna be a problem when I have rear seat passengers.

It would be nice to hear from someone who had actually sat in the seat after these have been installed.
Unlike the front headrests on CX-5 which received plenty of complaints because they’re angled too much forward, the JDM low profile rear headrests will be much better to your concern. Although I have gen-1 CX-5, but I had checked gen-2 JDM rear headrests in Taiwan a couple of years ago (at the time I planned to get a 2018 CX-5 before knowing the cylinder deactivation feature), they’re as comfortable, if not better as they’re thicker, as my gen-1 JDM’s.

Of course each person is built differently especially on seat comfort issue.

Unlike the front headrests on CX-5 which received plenty of complaints because they’re angled too much forward...
Thanks for the reply.

And I agree about the front headrests being angled too far forward.

The ergonomics of the front seat design is mind-boggling.

I never sat in the back until just now. I'm 5' 11", with the gen1 JDM rears all the way down, they touch my upper back. If I adjust them proper for my head, they're fine. They don't push my head forward.
Keep in mind the gen1 JDM come down a bit lower on back seat than the gen2 JDM.
IMG_2489.JPG

Back