What Did You Do for Your CX-5 Today?

V
2019 CX5 Signature
Congrats.

I see you joined in October. Did you just buy it or was it in for repairs (sorry if you've said elsewhere)? I joined August 2018 and finally made my purchase in March 2019.

ps: Nice color choice. Same color as my Reserve. I love it. You don't see many of that blue around.
Thanks AD! Just bought it today after looking at the Tiguan, CRV, and new Escape. I think it was simply the best value of what I looked at, and I couldn’t see spending more for less...simply to be getting a “premium” nameplate.

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Thanks AD! Just bought it today after looking at the Tiguan, CRV, and new Escape. I think it was simply the best value of what I looked at, and I couldn’t see spending more for less...simply to be getting a “premium” nameplate.
I started out looking for a low-mileage used SUV/CUV and discovered that the payments (high resale value x used car interest rates) were not all that much lower than buying new at the promo interest rates. I ended up at the Mazda dealer kinda by accident...it was next to Carmax. (I wonder if the high resale value of used cars is still the Cash For Clunkers effect).

The CR-V (and other Honda models) oil dilution issue/lack of corporate response scared me off of that brand.

I did not particularly like the RAV-4, and their goofy package configurations were tough to wade through and did not offer everything I wanted.

I started reading about the CX-5, and all the reviewers gushed over them. Once I got behind the wheel I was extremely impressed. When I drove the turbo, I was even more impressed!

9 months later I still love it.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
My shit got hit today 😪
Sideswiped by a truck who "didn't see me" when changing lane (we'll call it that since he was cooperating). Damage on driver fender and bumper cover, scuffs on wheel. Also the mirror went in but il have to look at it again for dmg. Got rear ended last month by a company van too, hadn't had that fixed yet but just got the payment to do so from the offenders insurance. So I guess I'll just get both fixed at once.. ppl around here are suck drivers
This seems to be my personal experience that whenever I accomplished some major work to my car, something bad happens ⋯

Sorry to hear it. Not just San Antonio with plenty of bad drivers, Dallas is not much better. San Jose is even worse!

V
2016 CX-5 & CX-3
picked up my 2016 CX-5 on Monday, finally got around to installing my Blackvue front/rear cams today... cause people suck at driving and they lie... a lot

V
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Sorry to hear, about all your troubles Chris. I had two accidents myself, since I owned this car. Never happened that before, two accidents with one car.

V
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
Installed HID lights on my 2013 Sport. They look fantastic. I did the plain DDM Tuning 35W 4300K set on the low beams. No extra hardware required, just that kit and some Gorilla tape to adhere the ballasts. I wish I could remember which user recommended these. They were spot on. The color is a great white. Not yellow or blue.

The headlights needed a good deal of downward adjustment. I was able to get a clean line that ends about 100 ft down the road just doing a quick and dirty eyeball adjustment on flat road.

next time I drive at night I’ll have to test FM reception. Absolute best mod I’ve ever done for A car, especially considering the low $35 price tag.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
L
Denver, CO
V
2014 CX-5 Touring
Installed HID lights on my 2013 Sport. They look fantastic. I did the plain DDM Tuning 35W 4300K set on the low beams. No extra hardware required, just that kit and some Gorilla tape to adhere the ballasts. I wish I could remember which user recommended these. They were spot on. The color is a great white. Not yellow or blue.

The headlights needed a good deal of downward adjustment. I was able to get a clean line that ends about 100 ft down the road just doing a quick and dirty eyeball adjustment on flat road.

next time I drive at night I’ll have to test FM reception. Absolute best mod I’ve ever done for A car, especially considering the low $35 price tag.
Thought about doing something similar. I replaced my halogens about a year ago and am already thinking they are less bright now (or my eyes are worse). When I asked about HID bulbs last year the consensus seemed to be that you need to retrofit the halogen housing with proper HID housing, not just the bulbs.

I think I am going to try different bulbs again. Maybe some Osram Nightbreakers. But then again, maybe not...lots of "short life" reviews.

Sigh.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
Thought about doing something similar. I replaced my halogens about a year ago and am already thinking they are less bright now (or my eyes are worse). When I asked about HID bulbs last year the consensus seemed to be that you need to retrofit the halogen housing with proper HID housing, not just the bulbs.

I think I am going to try different bulbs again. Maybe some Osram Nightbreakers. But then again, maybe not...lots of "short life" reviews.

Sigh.
"Need" may not be the right word. When upgrading to HID bulbs, you should also upgrade the housing (or retrofit projector housings into your existing housing). This is primarily because the HID lighting amplifies the "hot spots" in a halogen housing, resulting in a lot of light pollution and glare for oncoming vehicles. That's likely why ruthrj had to do a headlight adjustment. Retrofitting projector housings into halogen housings is generally far more expensive than simply installing a cheap HID kit from DDM, which is why its such an attractive option.

V
"Need" may not be the right word. When upgrading to HID bulbs, you should also upgrade the housing (or retrofit projector housings into your existing housing). This is primarily because the HID lighting amplifies the "hot spots" in a halogen housing, resulting in a lot of light pollution and glare for oncoming vehicles. That's likely why ruthrj had to do a headlight adjustment. Retrofitting projector housings into halogen housings is generally far more expensive than simply installing a cheap HID kit from DDM, which is why its such an attractive option.
exactly. Others were right about the stock CX-5 projectors: they work really well for HID kits. The light output is better the my ‘19 RAV4 LEDs, albeit the cutoff isn’t as clean. HIDs are a complete no go for reflector housings. I wouldn’t ever consider 55 watt HIDs. The 35 watt kit is plenty bright and anything brighter would be overkill.

I’m going to start a new job soon working second shift and better headlights were a must. The stock halogens are just too dim for me and commuting at night. Only knock I have on DDM is the shipping time. my order came straight from China lol

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
I’m going to start a new job soon working second shift and better headlights were a must. The stock halogens are just too dim for me and commuting at night. Only knock I have on DDM is the shipping time. my order came straight from China lol
Hell, their kits are so cheap that I would have no problem ordering 2 kits just to have some backup components/bulbs for emergencies, lol

V
2014 CX-5 Touring
That's odd, I find the stock halogen projectors on our 2014 to be pretty satisfactory. But my Integra has had an HID projector retrofit since 2004 so of course I want to go HID on the CX5 also. But I'll likely use the stock projectors since they work decently well with HID, unlike the Integra's stock 9006 projectors which were total crap with HID.

V
2014 CX-5 Touring

100 feet in front of the car isn't nearly far enough. At 70 MPH you're moving 102 feet per second. You should aim your headlights properly, which is to park in front of a vertical wall at ~25 feet away, measure from the ground to the center of the projectors, then on the wall measure the same distance but subtract 2 inches. The lower side of the projector cutoff should meet that mark on the wall.

That keeps the cutoff below horizontal so as to not blind oncoming motorists, but also allows for maximum illumination distance down the road.

V
100 feet in front of the car isn't nearly far enough. At 70 MPH you're moving 102 feet per second. You should aim your headlights properly, which is to park in front of a vertical wall at ~25 feet away, measure from the ground to the center of the projectors, then on the wall measure the same distance but subtract 2 inches. The lower side of the projector cutoff should meet that mark on the wall.

That keeps the cutoff below horizontal so as to not blind oncoming motorists, but also allows for maximum illumination distance down the road.
sorry, I should have mentioned I was going to do just that (actually just finished before finding your post). The Mazda instructions are really good at providing diagrams to do what you describe. By quick and dirty I really did mean quick and dirty lol. The HIDs in the halogen projector without adjustment looked like high beams. I cranked them down quickly in case I had to drive at night in a hurry. It’s much more accurate now ; )

V
That's odd, I find the stock halogen projectors on our 2014 to be pretty satisfactory. But my Integra has had an HID projector retrofit since 2004 so of course I want to go HID on the CX5 also. But I'll likely use the stock projectors since they work decently well with HID, unlike the Integra's stock 9006 projectors which were total crap with HID.
you’ll be very happy with HID lights in the stock halogen projectors. It was the halogen bulbs that left something to be desired. Just shy away from 55 watt kits. I read the bulbs are too long for the stock halogen projectors, might melt the housing, could melt the electrical harness, etc.

V
2019 CX5 Signature
Had PPF installed on the front bumper, top trim in front of hood, headlights and outside mirrors. I also had the front windows tinted with 30% ceramic film. Oh, and I bought and installed a cell phone holder that fits between the two a/c vents. It actually looks fairly decent and it works great.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
L
San Antonio, Texas
V
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Car came back from the shop with one new light and one 6 year old light, so I puckered up and bought a new light from the dealer :s.

Latest threads

Latest resources