What Did You Do for Your CX-5 Today?

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
Yea, I got my done for the hell of it and now I hit my head on my hatch. Also it hs less pressure at full extension
I believe we all should file a compliant at NHTSA website and hopefully NHTSA will force Mazda to have a second safety recall against these inferior replacement liftgate struts ⋯

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
L
Denver, CO
V
2014 CX-5 Touring
Well I never knew how sensitive the CX-5 could be to off balance tires.

After travelling last week for the holidays, when I got back into town, I got into the car to drive home from the airport. On the highway at speeds 50 MPH or more, the car began to shake quite a bit.

I pulled over and looked at the tires/wheels. Snow had lodged into the wheels around the rotors and calipers (presumably from the drive to the airport on a day we got around 12" of snow) and upset the balance enough to cause quite the shake/shimmy when at highway speeds. After sitting for a few days, when I got back, it was more ice like. Knocked out the ice, and luckily it returned to good working order.

I hit a couple of small bumps that made the car bounce a bit. Not much but I did notice it. So I am also wondering if my struts are going out. 87,500 miles. I wasn't sure how long struts lasted anyway.

V
2007 3i & 2014 CX-5
Put on a set of AltiMax RT43's yesterday. Hope you guys are right about them! I put about 40 miles on them just yesterday and everything feels and sounds good.

Truth be told, I never had any issues with my OEM Yokohamas. They were evenly worn at 52k miles and still felt fine. But at over $200 a piece for a nothing-special highway tire... NOPE!

After travelling last week for the holidays, when I got back into town, I got into the car to drive home from the airport. On the highway at speeds 50 MPH or more, the car began to shake quite a bit.

I pulled over and looked at the tires/wheels. Snow had lodged into the wheels around the rotors and calipers (presumably from the drive to the airport on a day we got around 12" of snow) and upset the balance enough to cause quite the shake/shimmy when at highway speeds. After sitting for a few days, when I got back, it was more ice like. Knocked out the ice, and luckily it returned to good working order.
Think about how small the actual balance weights are. It doesn't take much ice/snow/mud/etc to throw a wheel out of balance, and boy will you feel it at highway speeds! I just ran into the same thing with my 3 the other day on my way to work. It almost reached 40 degrees by mid day, and after sitting in the parking lot all day, the car was totally fine going home.

Last edited:

yrwei52

Contributor
Put on a set of AltiMax RT43's yesterday. Hope you guys are right about them! I put about 40 miles on them just yesterday and everything feels and sounds good.

Truth be told, I never had any issues with my OEM Yokohamas. They were evenly worn at 52k miles and still felt fine. But at over $200 a piece for a nothing-special highway tire... NOPE!
Did you add at least a couple of more psis than factory recommended 34 psi to your new 225/65R17 102H General AltiMAX RT43s?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
L
Land of Cleve
V
2016.5 CX5
Well I never knew how sensitive the CX-5 could be to off balance tires.
Have you had many cars, Colorado? Serious.
Like literally every single car I've owned would do this when too much snow gets caught up in the wheel wells.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
L
Denver, CO
V
2014 CX-5 Touring
Have you had many cars, Colorado? Serious.
Like literally every single car I've owned would do this when too much snow gets caught up in the wheel wells.
I had 2 Jeeps before this car. They had different shaking issues LOL!

V
2007 3i & 2014 CX-5
Did you add at least a couple of more psis than factory recommended 34 psi to your new 225/65R17 102H General AltiMAX RT43s?
Yep, did my homework. They're all at 37psi. Also I made sure I got the H-rated ones instead of the T-rated. Hopefully I'll have some more time to drive it without the kids so I can see if the limits have really changed.

yrwei52

Contributor
Yep, did my homework. They're all at 37psi. Also I made sure I got the H-rated ones instead of the T-rated. Hopefully I'll have some more time to drive it without the kids so I can see if the limits have really changed.
So you know therere both T-rated and H-rated 225/65R17 RT43s and H-rated is much superior on specs, you really have done the home work no doubt!

And 37 psi would be my choice too!

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
L
San Antonio, Texas
V
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
New diff came in, off aearly build 2016 and the casted model no. is the revised version.

yrwei52

Contributor
New diff came in, off aearly build 2016 and the casted model no. is the revised version.
Is it from LKQ? How much does it cost?

Mazda SG1 gear lubricant is pretty expensive for 2016 rear differential. Hope this replacement would fix your problem.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
L
San Antonio, Texas
V
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Is it from LKQ? How much does it cost?

Mazda SG1 gear lubricant is pretty expensive for 2016 rear differential. Hope this replacement would fix your problem.
no I used some place from CO because the LKQ yards all wanted 180-280 for freight shipping, and I couldn't find any LKQ listing for one on ebay (LKQ listings on ebay are usually free shipping). Paid like 430 shipped for it. There aren't a lot of these used floating around on the net

yrwei52

Contributor
no I used some place from CO because the LKQ yards all wanted 180-280 for freight shipping, and I couldn't find any LKQ listing for one on ebay (LKQ listings on ebay are usually free shipping). Paid like 430 shipped for it. There aren't a lot of these used floating around on the net
Still its better than paying $1,000 ~ $1,500 (?) from Mazda dealer.

Curious if you can tell the physical differences on input shaft casing which got modified. Take some pictures for comparison between the two if you can.

V
'19 CX-5 Reserve
Drove down to the dealer in Phoenix this past weekend to have them replace the incorrect second key that they had provided at the purchase and had them install the mudflaps. Considered doing it myself, but it looked like a bit of a PITA so I let them do it for a total cost of $182 including the flaps. Mt time is worth more than that.

V
2014 CX-5 Touring
Washed ours for probably the first time since I got my Miata back in July. Those front wheels were NASTY!!!

Also verified with my micrometer that the current tires have around 3.5mm tread depth which is right at 4/32.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
L
San Antonio, Texas
V
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Might be getting these as a gif to myself in Jan (both part). Should have got them a while back, I can already tell especially when I jack the car effect of metal fatigue

Last edited:
V
2018 CX-5 Sport
Today I think I will spray my car down with water, it is up to 53 degrees. I want to rinse the salt off.

Done. The beading water from the wax helps a lot when spraying the car down.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Latest resources