What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
Just curious what cars people have traded in to buy their CX-5s, and maybe a little on why?

Traded in my 2002 Protege 5, reason it was just getting to old to be my only reliable mode of transportation.

I have heard a lot of negative about the power in the CX-5, I have no clue why this is an issue personally. I don't know what these people are doing in their cars but why do you need so much power? Unless you are towing something or always going off road there is no need for power. I hear people say, I need to over take someone faster, I need to merge on the highway etc.. I can do all of these things in my vehicle just fine. If you live in the city and you complain about not enough power I would love to know what you are doing!

I traded in my 2010 CX-7 GT. I loved that car but the premium gas and 17/21mpg was killing me. Absolutely love the CX-5 and don't really miss the power.

2010 black mazda3 S GT 4 door with bose/sunroof. Was 2.5 years old with 42,000 miles.

1. Head room - my hair hit the roof liner
2. Rear seat space - its essentially a 4 door 2 seat car. No adults can fit back there.
3. Gas economy - 25 mpg in the mazda3 and 35 in the cx5
4. Insurance - 125/term lower in the cx5
5. Fear of things not lasting. I really beat on this car and was nervous about the long term lasting of the engine/transmission
6. No space to move haul things. Shoe boxes fit fine but thats about it.
7. I found the power of the mazda3 to easily scoot through traffic causing me to get aggressive around slow drivers. CX-5 keeps me zen as I'm slow with them :)

Traded my 2007 CX7 that i had bought December 2010

Fuel economy was terrible
Needed some repairs, that Mazda did not want to cover under warranty.

I taught I would never buy another Mazda in my life. However I'm really pleased with my CX5

nizzy...

I like that thing you mention about zen and sticking with the slower drivers. I too have a little hang up with the power thing and you put it just right. If you have, you use it. If you don't have it obviously you don't use it and get used to not using it. Good way of putting though. +1

traded in 2005 chevy equinox ls awd, thing got 17 mpg so... it was costing way too much to drive that hog. I need 4 wheel drive in wisco in the winter (not this year....??) so this was the perfect solution.

traded a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS, for fuel economy mainly and a new car. The Mitsu was the car I had the longest, so after 5 years it was overdue! :) To be honest the Outie was agreat car except for the fuel milleage. I had a 2004 WRX before and a 2000 Subaru 2.5RS before that.

Replaced a 2003 G35 with 80,000 - needed back seat space & more cargo capacity, 24mpg to 32mpg, it has gotten so dangerious overtaking on 2 lane roads around here, I quite trying, don't even do it often in my 2000 Corvette. Ramps are no problem.

2003 passat gls

space, ease of entry/exit, fuel economy, maintenance/warranty

Last edited:
I traded a 2009 Dodge Challenger. I needed more passenger room, better gas mileage and insurance costs. I loved the Challenger but the premium gas and all the miles I drive were onerous. I enjoy driving the cx5 just as much.

So how difficult has it been to go from such a powerful car to a 155 hp CUV?

I realazied that the road was not a racing track... Now when I cross a police i'm not sacre to have a ticket... My STI was also doing 11-12l/100 km on the road with premium fuel.. City was 15l/100 km

08 CX-9 GT. was getting 17/20 MPGs and it needed brakes, tune up, leather was cracking from previous owners not caring for it, and didn't need the third row.

I will be trading in my 2007 Mazda 5 GT. Just waiting for my sky blue GT with Tech. Mainly wanted better fuel economy and brakes were causing me problems on the 5.

2002 Chevy Suburban - at 10 gallons to the mile, plus failing systems every other month, the only other option was to attach a turret to the top and uranium plating to the sides, and sell it to the Army...

The only thing I thought would be missed was the V8, but the CX-5's got enough zip and is light enough to get up and go just as well.

Ford Fusion

Loved the Fusion. I have a toddler though and awfully hard to get him out of it. I have to admit Mazda's drivability are spot on and don't regret it one minute. Just posted a review on KBB as a matter of fact. Miss the Fusion, Loving the CX 5 more though.

Sold my Mazda 3 SP23 Luxury MT to purchase the CX-5. We needed space, and wife couldn't drive manual (regardless of the fact it takes 20 minutes to learn).

Thought I would be losing performance. But the CX-5 diesel is quicker than the Mazda 3 in nearly all areas apart from cornering at high speed.

I'm intrigued by the Diesel and hope at some point it will make it to America. I know the gas (petrol) gets panned a good bit but it seems a very peppy and extremely fuel efficient engine for a gas(petrol) engine. I guess whether it be D or G if it brings more enthusiasts to the fold and support Mazda's vision it works for me.(yippy)

Back